Original ANH Hero at C4

freakengine

For those of you who won't be attending the party in LA, here's a glimpse at one of the most interesting props in the archives exhibit (which is sadly very small this year). I assume this ANH hero helmet has been on display many times in the past, but I've never seen this particular one in person before. It was in a plexi case that allowed viewers to walk completely around it, so I snapped a few pics, including overhead angles. They can be seen here:

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/swe...0Hero%20Bucket/

Open up the full size versions for maximum effect and to soak up all its wonky goodness.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing. I see Luke's robotic arm in the background. What else did they have? Matt G. was saying he was personally asked to build a Sandtrooper, complete with backpack for this show - is it there?

Interesting that if you take a look at the right side of the frown (left side of the photo) it doesn't even look like they would be able to cut out a fourth tooth if they wanted to. Makes you wonder if that's the only reason that the hero buckets only have three teeth on each side...

Awesome shots, thanks for sharing them.

@Mike: I didn't see a sandtrooper anywhere yesterday. The archive exhibit was really pitifully small considering how much material must be in the LFL archives. I know many of the better items are out on the Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit, so maybe that's an issue.

There were complete costumes of Jedi Luke, ROTJ Fett, Slave Leia, E2 3PO, and a couple of Amidala gowns. There was also Han Solo's Hoth jacket with a box for voting on whether it is brown or blue. It's very very brown. The Vader display was pretty impressive, and there was even the burnt Vader helmet from the funeral pyre in ROTJ. The rest of the display was made up of a handful of concept models and some of McQuarrie's original artwork. I had no idea that he worked at such small scales...not much larger than the portfolio prints you could buy way back when.

I'll try and get a few more pics posted over the next couple of days.

@Sot: It looked like there was a small indentation on the right side, but the pull was weaker on the left side.

Thank you so much for sharing these pics Tom, they're really great

Zac, the hero face mould was modified and the teeth were filled in towards the end of the frown and also where the side tubes meet the respirator to allow the ABS/plastic to be released 'easier'. I also think the eye sockets were filled in too more than the stunt helmets.

Tom, did you manage to see inside the helmet to see what's inside...liner or foam star?

Tom, did you manage to see inside the helmet to see what's inside...liner or foam star?

I didn't notice, but I'll be back at the con tomorrow and will stop by and see if I can tell by looking through the eye holes. The way they have it positioned, you can't really look up into the bottom at all.

Thanks Tom I appreciate it

Can you also check the painted detailing on the helmet too please? Whether is is actually glossy or satin finish and did you notice at all if the actual whole helmet is painted or is it just white plastic? Please have a really good look at it for me as I won't be able to see this helmet in person

Paul, I'll do my best to answer your questions. I was in costume all day today, so I didn't make it by the archive room, but will definitely drop by again Sunday.

@ NoHumorMan: your wish is granted. This is the only pic I have of the Vader helmet right now.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/swe.../burntvader.jpg

Paul,

If I may, I saw the helmet today. To answer a few questions for you. No the helmet is not painted. Its kinda satin now because its all scratched up. there was no liner or foam in it either. It did have the s molding on it and it had a sticker inside it that said "W3" whatever that means. I took a ton of pics of the helmet. I also noticed on the back cap that it had alot of pin holes caused by humidity in the ABS. It was sweet. I will post pics as soon as I get up tomorrow.

I took a few shots of the funeral pyre helmet too

Got to meet Tony and Faye today and met some of the guys from MEPD too.

I also saw your TM armor.....VERY NICE!

My feet are killin me, I am off to bed.

Edit: I decided to go ahead and upload them tonight. They should be ready for download by 12:30 AM

Here is the link to the Zip file. Warning: its a 46 meg download. These are 5 megapixel shots of the hero helmet. Im not the greatest photographer but these are pretty close up. Hope you like em.

http://www.members.cox.net/appstronaut/HeroHelmet.zip

hey TK4510,

i can´t open the .zip file, it seems to be broken...

PLEAAASE check it for us, i´m dying to see more pictures of the hero helmet!

thanks a bunch for sharing these shots with us!

Thanks TK4510 for clearing that up

I thought the pitting in the plastic looked like it could be the mottle effect that you can get with spray painting so if it's the ABS that's pitted that's cool, at least I know once and for all

Love to see more pics. I can't open the files either

-Paul.

ok, sorry... I will upload another folder that is not a zip file. shold be done by 0730 pacific.

the link will be posted soon.

In the mean time, if you want you can download a program called winzip that will open the files if you have a pc. If you have a mac they should open no problem. I assumed all pc's came with a winzip application. doh!

Just type zip into google and you'll get a few links. I think there is a free trial for the application.

The files are loading right now and should be done shortly.

Well..I dont get it. I guess the files are too big. I cant unzip the file either. I tried uploading the files at full resolution and I cant see them either.....

I will try again later. Sorry for the tease. Maybe I can upload smaller files later today or email them to you guys seperately. There are 26 great shots arg!!!