Trooper with Blaster gets arrested

erase

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Costa Rica what we do, since we are less than 50 members in the group, is that we let the security officers of any place we go about the group, what we do and how, we give a complete rundown of the equipment including gun replicas so that they don[t have problems with us.

police Officers here in C.R. can be even more idiotic than the Dewback A'holes that arrested you man... in here they'll actually go into running thru your wallet and stripping you off your money.

That's life with idiots with badges (no offence to you Steve, not all police are the same, i have that clear, there's a huge lot of you that have earned your badges with the heart!)... thinking they're Gods and doing what they please.

Nice e-11 by the way man!! sorry you haven't got it back from the "Legal" thieves that took it from you!

The stupid part is, as soon as my pack got stripped the force response unit officers ask "is that a stormtrooper gun?" then said "cool" and pulled the trigger saying "you've even got the patches"

Mr. "COOL!" probably stuck it in his car and has it at home on display.

I'm so sorry to hear of the troubles. I hope you get the E-11 back.

Is there a valid complaint process in your country or would it fall on deaf ears? If there is a good process, I would file a complaint....But then again, I wouln't do anything that would make them want to press the criminal charges issue against you either.

Just something to think about. Any attorneys that could help without costing lots of money?

In regards to what happened to Kimelius , I inquired to my local precinct as to what would happen locally. Now i live in NYC (Queens to be specific) but the guy was dead-set against me carrying it around. He said that even IF i put an orange line of paint or any other marking to make it known that it is not a real firearm, or even though it is styrene; that he cannot and "will not guarantee that the weapon will not be confiscated." He also added "i cant tell everybody in the precinct to be on the lookout for you and your orange paint." He told me "the best advice i have for you is that its in your best interest to leave your prop at home if you want to avoid any problems." Again this is my local precinct. (A couple of you i know are from NY so I'll tell you that this is the 108 precinct and their jurisdiction runs for most of Long Island City).

Any attorneys that could help without costing lots of money?

Does that exist?!?!?

I thought I saw the last one of those in formaldehyde at the museum.

No offense to any trooper-lawyers here.

Yeah, bro. I live in NYC too. I NEVER have mine out unless I have my armor on. Then, cops have always pretty cool as far as even taking pictures with us.

Sometimes we do out of town troops and those of us without cars have to take trains. If you take your gun out in the open at Penn Station or Grand Central Station, I promise you you'll get busted. Just play it smart and keep it well hidden until it's time.

It's tough with a BFG. I just wrap mine in bubble wrap until it's unidentifiable.

• 1 month later...

Is there a valid complaint process in your country or would it fall on deaf ears? If there is a good process, I would file a complaint....But then again, I wouln't do anything that would make them want to press the criminal charges issue against you either.

Damned if I do = ruffle feathers, expidite proceedings most likely get a conviction = no job.

Damned if I dont = no job, cloud hanging overhead but a low profile.

At present, the State Government's Police Obudsman is busy clearing house on corruption within the force and are unwilling to deal with what they advised as "...a 'minor' issue which I brought upon myself..."

So at best I've been advised to:

1. stay quiet for now

2. Use a car for transport - regardless of distance & time parameters

3. Troop in armour with a BFG as it exceeds the 650mm/26inch restriction (on what can be classed as a 'concealable' firearm) In Officer role - no blaster

4. Go back to drinking coffee. Antioxidants aside, drinking tea can be hazardous to one's health.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty,

On 12 Feb 2008 I have my case heard in the state's Magistrates Court.

Charge: Possession of an unregistered handgun.

Will post more info as it comes to hand.

My humble thanks for your support.

I used a black plastic bag to bring it around whenever I go trooping . . .

So what methods of transporting larger rifles have you guys come up with? Fishing rod bag? A custom cardboard case would be easy to make i guess.....?

To minimise the confusion between my TD field pack and terrorist's IED pack, I got a hiker's 'pack tote' - basically a nylon bag.

This allows me to wear the pack using the alice straps (san shoulder pouch) but the pack remains incognito to average joe public.

Armour & BFG = rolling travelbag. A great combo for commuting on public transport networks

As long as they can't see it, everything is a. OK!

As I was reading this topic, I realised that in some countries the police is so uptight regarding weapons.

The same over here, the Netherlands, a friend of mine warned me if I order an mg34 it replica it will never clear customs and if so the police will be coming a knocking soon

But still I want to order one.

The only way you may have/ own a gun is when you got a permit for it..

The argument they have over here is that when it looks like the real deal you can make abuse of that...they should be abused

Keep the faith...

Here in Australia, particularly in outer suburban & rural areas, firearms are socially acceptable as part of life.

However, due to this nature, they aren't always properly secured and become easy pickings for burgalries.

If the firearm wasn't registered to begin with, it makes the situation worse.

On the flip side, every where from toy shops, $2 shops and supermarkets carry toy guns of some description - some of which are very realistic.

A topsy-turvy world we live in.

On the flip side, every where from toy shops, $2 shops and supermarkets carry toy guns of some description - some of which are very realistic.

A topsy-turvy world we live in.

As in the movie ******, the scene with vinnie jones and the stupid burglars in the bar...

Yours says replica on the side, mine says desert eagle..

It seems we have to accept this fact after all, and keep low profile

Here is the result of my appearance at the Magistrate's Court:

A Diversion Order issued for:

1x $150.00 donation to the Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne

1x $150.00 donation to the Victoria Police "Blue Ribbon Foundation"

Seized Property (Blaster & Holster) are Forfeit for Destruction, subject to completion of diversion order

1x trooper lives to make kids smile another day!

Any additional funds from honoured pledges will form part of a 2nd donation to the aforementioned charities on behalf of the garrison & legion.

Thank you all for your advice support & constructive criticism.

yeah, as Seth said.

It should have gone like this though...

Police get called, police arrive at scene

suspected perp is approached

when challenged suspected perp explains "i'm a member of the worlds largest costuming group the 501st, we are a non-profitable organisation that raises funds for various charity by dressing up as characters from StarWars, as you can plainly see this is a plastic/toy/replica and i am not a terrorist/bank robber/crazed gunman"

Police response "Oh yes, i can plainly see that it is not a real gun and well done on all the charity work, just dont be a goose mate and make sure you carry it in a case or make sure it is not visible to the public next time" the police leave and the suspect continues to drink his coffee after popping the blaster all the way in the ruck sack.

the end.

• 1 month later...