Help! (There's something screwy going on here.)

I am hoping somebody with a real MG34 can help enlighten me in regard to a problem I just spotted.

I was preparing to work on the main body of my barrel shroud today, and when checked over some of my reference photos, I noticed something odd.

If looking at the barrel shroud in cross section, one would expect the vent holes to alternate between the four main compass points (N, E, S, W) and the four secondary compass points at 45° (NE, SE, SW, NW), but this is not the case. If you look at the shroud from the gunner's position, the holes at the main compass points are exactly where they are expected to be, but the ones that should be at 45° are not. Instead, they appear to be rotated counter clockwise from their expected orientation.

Here are some photos that show what I mean. I've added green lines to the photos to indicate the holes at 90°.

In this first photo of the left side of the barrel shroud, you can see that the holes above the west position are closer than they should be, while the ones below are farther away.

Posted Image

In this second photo of the opposite side of the same gun, the opposite is true.

Posted Image

In this last photo of the top of another shroud, you can clearly see that the secondary set of holes are indeed rotated off the expected 45° position.

Posted Image

So we know these secondary holes are rotated slightly out of whack. The question is by how much.

Since I am now preparing to drill the holes in the aluminum pipe I am using for my barrel shroud, this is really important information for me.

Can somebody in the know tell me how far off the 45° mark these secondary holes are rotated, OR can one of you fine gentlemen with a real MG34 be so kind as to wrap a sheet of paper around the shroud of your gun and do a rubbing (Yeah. The forward bipod catch thingy will have to be unscrewed.), then post a scan of the rubbing with the DPI count for us poor hardware builders to use as a template?

Thanks.

here are the pics of mine

I do not want to appear ungrateful, but I was hoping for something a little more concrete. From countless long hours of trawling the net, I have literally hundreds of reference photos already.

If one removes that thin strip of spring metal that holds the bipod in place, presumably fastened to the shroud with just screws, one can then wrap a sheet of paper around the shroud between the AA mount and the bipod mount. Then all one has to do is take a soft leaded pencil or a crayon and rub the side of it over the paper covering the shroud, just like making rubbings from pennies when we were kids. The rubbing is then scanned at 50 DPI, and the image posted with notes on the DPI used and where the top and front are. Once that is done, the poster can milk his bragging rights for all they are worth, having made a valuable template for hardware builders in less than five minutes.

(This is you ---> )

I dug out my MG 34. What exactly would you like me to do?

Do you want me to put paper on it and do a "gravestone" rubbing?

Let me know

Yes. That is exactly what I mean.

The hole pattern is not your standard 4 points then alternate. I have a hole pattern drawings that I can send you if you want?

Alan

That would be wonderful.

BTW: Although my modeling progress has continued to be laughably slow (I currently have more real parts than modeled ones.), I am pleased to tell you that the drawings you sent me in February have already proven useful.

I will get this blighter done one of these days!

• 2 weeks later...

The rubbing arrived just this morning. I have it in hand, but I was hit hard with the flu this morning, and will likely not be doing anything but sleep for the next day or two. I will make use of it when I am feeling just a little better.

• 1 month later...