What it takes....

Art Andrews

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am new to the ranks and I have been up all night catching up on all the "new" sandtrooper information. I am currently going down the list and my armor is modeled after the movie "TROOPS" which may or may not be right, but that's what it is modeled after in coloring and form.

The question that comes for me frequently isn't so much the must-list (you can look at my album: kurtweinreich), but the TYPE of dirt! I have seen airbrushed dirt, train model dirt, etc. up to and including dried clay. Is there a standard for the DIRT?

The Original Sandies had some dirt (obviously), and the SE versions have more, darker dirt that looks more like paint. I have trouble believing that they got covered in mud in an environment full of dry sand that wouldn't stick. Yet I have seen armor with what looks like obviously airbrushed browns and/or peanut butter frosting.

I am here to troop and have fun. I love being a Sandie and I have always gotten compliments on my armor from fans and troopers alike. But the coloring debate seems to always come up.

Any thoughts?

Greetings kurtweinreich,

As you can see from this thread, there ARE quite a few sandtroopers with different opinions and different points of view. The single common element throughout is OUR passion for WHAT WE DO and WHO WE ARE: SANDTROOPERS!

As you can see from the photo below, I "weathered" my armor using 2 different colors of Minwax wood stain patterned after TD-8034's armor. I like how it turned out and I have received numerous compliments on it - from fellow Sandies & SW fans alike.

It's really up to you to decide how you want to weather your armor. The fact that you're here on this website shows that you're moving in the right direction! Welcome to the "dirt-side" of the Force. Take care & aloha.

Guns

501st Pacific Outpost, Hawaii

Enforcing Order 66 in Paradise

Posted Image

I have trouble believing that they got covered in mud in an environment full of dry sand that wouldn't stick.

It's dewback poodoo. Seriously though, the weathering is totally up to you. Along with the backpack it's the thing that separates us and gives us some individuality. Personally I love tempera paint but somebody else might prefer the airbrush method. Take a look at other sandies armor and experiment. Welcome aboard.

Thanks guys! I know we are all trying to have fun, and I really made a point to put all the time and effort I could to stay as accurate and close as possible. I was surprised, however, after all my efforts, to feel that I still may not have gotten it right based on certain opinions. Thanks for all your support and all your feedback. Let the trooping begin!!