Cistern Siphon (aka Intake Manifold)

teabo

Hey Guys,

Don't know if you guys noticed - but I think they actually bought different size siphons for the backpacks - I you look at some of the backpack photos from ANH, sometimes the top part of the siphon (where the 2 pipes meet) is higher on the backpack even though the "bellows" part of the siphon is in the same spot. I have noticed while looking for the Correct siphon, that the modern siphons around today come in multiple sizes and I think that was probably true back then.

thanks,

jack

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

Don't know if you guys noticed - but I think they actually bought different size siphons for the backpacks - I you look at some of the backpack photos from ANH, sometimes the top part of the siphon (where the 2 pipes meet) is higher on the backpack even though the "bellows" part of the siphon is in the same spot. I have noticed while looking for the Correct siphon, that the modern siphons around today come in multiple sizes and I think that was probably true back then.

thanks,

jack

That very well could be. I've also noticed that some have more pronounced ridges on the "bellows" (what is that part of the siphon really called?) than others.

(what is that part of the siphon really called?) than others.

after all i read, the left tube has to the "overflow tube" and the right part with the round ribbed below part is called "piston". the complete part of both tubes and the ribbed below part seems to be called "(tank) fill valve"...

here is a link to some toilet diagrams:

http://www.terrylove.com/hunter.htm

(guys, i really do hope my mom never finds out what i do in my sparetime...)

FWIW we call them fill valves in the US also. There is typically a float ball or some other floating device on the valve neck itself that shuts off the water. I think when we are saying "cistern" that is actually referring to the tank itself (the ceramic thing that holds the water). I have a background in remodeling, with kitchen & bath stuff in particular. So I know this stuff for other reasons too. The ones stateside look nothing like these, old or new & I have seen a lot of them.

now that we have a complete object to look at for reference (rather than thinking about individual parts as before), i'm thinking about sculpting the "siphon" in two halves and vac-forming it. although Mike has done a magnificent job of fabricating some of the individual parts i thought that if this piece could be done as a whole (or in two halves and put together) it would make it all a little more stable. I know mine keeps coming apart with travel stress so i'd also like to make it easier to take off so may design some sort of bracket system to intergrate into it.

if anybody else feels like taking up the challenge, amongst us there are some amazingly talented people, then maybe we could stop raiding peoples toilets

True. Also, even though it appears to be one unit, the part may break down into several pieces. That would make casting it easier.

I got two new (old) images from a few people in the U.K. today but they weren't the right ones. Still fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Amusingly enough, Steve's toilet plumbing has gone **** up and bits are leaking everywhere (right thru the floorboards ), he had to call out an emergency plumber, and as the plumber was showing him the loo cistern inner, he was looking at all the plastic cistern bits and thinking "that could be adapted for Rache's TD backpack"

That's my boy

Amusingly enough, Steve's toilet plumbing has gone **** up and bits are leaking everywhere (right thru the floorboards ), he had to call out an emergency plumber, and as the plumber was showing him the loo cistern inner, he was looking at all the plastic cistern bits and thinking "that could be adapted for Rache's TD backpack"

That's my boy

This yank is easily amused.

Talk about convenient coincidence!!! Steve's had the plumber round to sort out the loo and the leaking pipes....and as luck would have it he needed a new cistern thingie - and look at the old one that was saved for my backpack!!!!

Posted Image

I'm sure this baby can be tweaked to fit perfect onto the burger stacker..... Perfect timing as we are starting the backpack build this weekend

Hey Guys,

I just got this syphon - it is not perfect but I was thinking of combining it with the "bellows" that I had already created to make a better version. It is actually rather large on the backpack - when I get a chance I will take a picture for you guys to see.

Thanks,

j.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heres a spot to get em...

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/p-17 ... n-unit.asp

That's the same as the one in Steve's loo :o

I've just got another request from a US Trooper to send him one of these cisterns:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...=44047&ts=64776

To save on bulk postage I may start an interest thread on who wants one of these, as they are cheaper than the £9.95 one in the first URL. Shipping to the states was £9 plus £1.50 for the box I have to buy to send it in. I can get a bulk order in and save postage to get them to me, then ship them to individual troopers?

Postage to me is free but there is a £5.95 "packing and handling" fee that remains the same no matter how many cisterns I order. Better to order bulk than individually and have to keep paying the £5.95?

What you think..........

• 1 month later...

Aaaaarghhhh! I knew this would happen - I waited and waited and had a couple of troopers interested, so I PMd them both after a while and only one responded, so I've JUST ordered ONE for him today.....so if you want one too I'll have to order another one seperately, and you will be hit with the full handling and packing charge - if you'd posted a day earlier you guys could have split it between yourselves. PM me if you want me to get one for you too.