MP40 pouches ???

Pen66..... is that in Penguins. 66 Mario Lemieux...? If it is. I'm feeling for you bro right now. We're not doing so good.... **** senators.. if you're like me. you've got some broken sticks laying around.

That's what it stands for. I was very sad to come home last night and see we had lost. Sigh. Its a young team with plenty of talent. Hopefully they will keep things improving next year. But that means a long depressing off season.

And I do have my fair share of broken sticks.

I watched to the end... it was heartbreaking... but if we keep things the way they are, next season we'll be even better. Sid is an AMAZING player. Glad to have found a fellow Pens fan AND sandtrooper. "it's a great day for hockey." Badger Bob

I made "clips" out of sheet styrene. Over-engineering, **!

I originally designed and built some clips of my own design too, but mine ended up being a bit heavy so I scrapped them. I always thought it'd be cool to have real MP40 clips, but weight would be an issue there too.

• 1 month later...

I just finished dying my pouches. One thing I noticed was that the leather gets VERY brittle afterwards. I used Rit dye and the stove top method (cooking them in a pot). I may have over cooked them or something. I am still waiting for them do dry. I suppose I can try reconditioning the leather with some lanolin or something like that...

The leather was toast on my pouches after dying. Note to self: don't use stovetop method to dye stuff with leather attached.

I got some leather strips from Hobby Lobby and a leather sewing kit and made new ones.

There's an image at this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24078248@N00/540901539/

I managed to get some leather ones on eBay, but these will have to serve until they arrive.

• 1 month later...

Like mentioned, Over boiling the leather will end up making the leather briitle. What i use to restore ( over statment ) but what has worked wonders with either very old, ill treated/etc. leather products is Gun Oil, the one that has Teflon, even gives it a nice shine. ( leather will be come soft for some time) i tend to use q-tips and apply fast coats, the leather will soak upo the oil at different speeds on differnet areas, i apply small multiple quantaties layer. The leather will redistribute the gun oil over time ( days) so stuffing pouches, or having the buckles and lace conected so that the item maitains or keeps the right shape. One other secret is to place the oil and the leather product in the sun for 20-40 minutes, this wil help the oil penetrate the leather.

Once again use small amounts of oil and work up quantaties, and do this in 2-3 periods in a 24-48 hour period, it is possible to over oil and that will take a long time forr the exses to be removed.

Hope this helps, i was able to restore a old pocket knife sheath that was over 70 years old and looks great.

• 5 months later...

I bought the tan canvas pouches from IMA and, after reading in this thread about the poor guy whose leather got ruined in the Rit bath, decided to use leather dye on the entire pouch instead of Rit.

I dyed them today and it worked out great. I just painted it on with the fuzzy applicator thing that comes with the dye. I used almost two 4 oz bottles for two sets of pouches (one that just holds three mags and one that also has the small utility pouch attached) . I did a light second coat on just the fronts, but one coat looked fine.

I started with the tan pouches because the last time I tried to dye a green army coat black it never looked totally black to me - it always had a slight greenish tint to it.

And the tan pouches are $5 cheaper, which paid for the two bottles of dye (Fiebing's brand).

I also removed the tool pouch and moved it over where it is supposed to be. The left edge of it was originally sewn to the right edge of the right clip pouch. I sewed the middle of the tool pouch to the right edge of the right clip pouch after looking at the pics of original pouches at looksirdroids.com

Photo of the ammo pouch with tool pouch, dyed and re-sewn:

Posted Image