Armor assembly tips

Ok, Troops. Just got the armor kit Friday. I've only got as far as cutting out the frown so far. What I'm wondering is, given all the different methods, which method did YOU use to assemble your armor? What is your opinion or suggestion to a new TD?

It appears daunting, and while I've assembled TB gear, this is a whole new game. I just want to be cautious and do it right the first time. I can already tell its going to be a blast! Thanks gang.

Well first thing is to get the helmet built, as that it the most complex, but rewarding piece of the entire suit. Make certain to ditch those lousy bubble lenses and get yourself some flat lenses!

Also, you're going to want to paint the inside of the bucket black. This does two things for you. First, if you head is tilted an odd angle when a photo is taken, sometimes you'll be able to see up into the helmet, and all that white reflects whatever light there is, and illuminates your skin, making you too visable. Second, having the inside black makes you eyes focus outside the helmet, since there is nothing but blackness inside the helmet. This will actually help you see better, trust me.

Also, get rid of the velcro that came with the suit. The adhesive sucks and will melt off the armor almost constantly, but leaving behind a gooey residue that is nearly impossible to clean off. Instead, try to ABS cement as much of the suit as you can. Front of thighs, fronts of calves, cannons (bicep armor), foreams.

Be sure to cut the groin plate seperate from the rest of the abdomin plate, and then reatach it with some elastic straps and hot glue. This will help you move a lot easier, and even sit down for the most part. Oh yeah...See that long "tongue" thing that comes off the groin and goes between your legs? GET RID OF THAT. Trust me, you be happier if you do. You know what...Just contact ArsonSmith and see if he's got an extra Sandtrooper Abdomin plate. if you're going for Sandtrooper, you may as well go for it right out of the gate. Ask him about a Sandie kneeplate too.

There's a ton more, but I'm having trouble remembering it all right now. I'm sure our brother in dirt can also offer up some great suggestions.

Is it easier to paint the inside of the bucket before you put the bucket together? I know I wish I had done that with my Scout bucket.

So, the general gist I'm seeing around is to ABS cement the front connections...ie forearm, thigh, calf, and industrial strength velcro the backs?

Already have an ab plate and knee plate, so thats taken care.

What about the velcro that supports the lower back and ab plates? And the pieces that lift the thighs?

Don't bother with the cheesy straps that supposedly can hold up your ab/back plate. Go get some heavy duty suspenders. You may have to cut a few inches off of the length and sew it back together, but it will be well worth it. Anywhere that would need to be disconnected and reconnected use snaps instead of velcro. I'll post some pictures of what i mean in my album.

I suppose I should have an armor mod section for what I've done with my armor. I've done a few uniq things I haven't seen anywhere else. I'll try to do some picutres and upload them tonight if I can remember.

Awesome, guys, that'll help out a ton.. Now, yet another question. I was over at the Davin Felth site and I noticed on his pics, that while he has the TD ab plate, he actually has 3 white buttons on the left side? Most of the TD ab plates I have seen are sans buttons. Which is the "correct" way to do it. Figured since I've got everything I need here and now, I can always paint the black buttons white...

ditto on the advice upstairs, but screw the ABS cement. way too painstaking, use CA glue with spray accelorator, available at your local hobby store. The CA stands for type of glue not brand. trust me, if you havent used it, try it, you'll swear by it. works great on ABS, Styrene, etc etc. makes these projects go 10X's as fast and cleaner. bonds 100%. trust me, your kit won't come apart, just be careful with it.

Here is a photo of the heavy duty suspenders I got at Home Depot. I went with them not for the heavy duty part but for the width for comfort, and the clasps woked well for the attachment I wanted to use . Anice clean cut slot in the armor and snap.

I do have a question How big does a person have to be before they look ridiculas in the armor. As you all know by now I am wanting to loose some weight before the final assembly. I am 6'1" amd have a 40 " waist.

I have heard the phrase everybody looks good in the armor. but where is the line? And what do I need to get down to, so I won't stand out in a unit.

Posted Image

I woudnt sweat it dude, we've got everything from the tiny guys who have the armor hanging off em, the the tall thin guys with huge gaps at the knees and elbows, and the guys who look like a gorilla stuffed into a TK suit, and everything in between, and it all looks pretty much ok, so I wouldnt worry too much about your girlish figure.

I ditched the ABS cement for the most part too. For some reason, even after 24+ hours of drying time it still failed. Went with the white rivets. I know those will hold.

Still have the question about the ab plate buttons though.... the "Davin Felth" pics show 3 white buttons on the left side...is this correct?

Posted Image

Thanks Guy, I will stick to my date of April 15. So I won't go tearing in to the Oreos just yet. I have waited this long to finish the Armor up. I can hold out a few more weeks. (stay on target) just a few more... ( stay on target) just a......AARRGHHHHHHhhhhhhhh...........

Head back to home deopot and pick up one of the back braces they have there. Kevin, TK0013 turned me on to this. I call it the Man girdel. If you are such a lover that you have handles, you know, love handles that stick out of your armor this will pull them back in

I resemble that situation... I went to a local plastic company and got some white styrene sheets, cut them to the proper size, heated and bent them to go around my sides, and attached them to the armor. It actually looks a little more accurate to the movie suits too.

I've been this -><- close to doing that for a long time now. I even cut up a bad ab plate pull and was going to use the parts just for doing this but haven't. I'm not sure why but I have some sort of adversion to doing this. What does that say about me??? probably nothing, or just that I am lazy.