another sterling E11 buildup thread!

tk7602

i didn't want to totally hijack ward's thread with my own posts, so i figured i'd start my own thread.

i've wanted one of these since i started to get into the prop collecting habit, but i didn't want to shell out *too* much cash on it.

a while back a friend from the 501st NEG offered up a sterling for $350, and i jumped on it.

Posted Image

the timing was right, as there was a 1942 M40 scope up on ebay at the time, and i got it.

Posted Image

i got a hengstler from RPF and promptly broke it. while the lens over the number could (perhaps even should!) be painted black, i want mine exposed with the numbers set to my tkid. well, i broke the clear window right down the middle prying it off.

Posted Image

in comes nathan/slave1pilot with a replacement. woot! once that comes i'll be back on track.

i ordered some t-track from saberfreak on rpf.

tonight i started putting it all together...

my scope rail:

Posted Image

cut down magazine:

Posted Image

plug to fill in the missing bolt:

Posted Image

scope mounted to rail, rail mounted to gun, and shortened clip in place:

Posted Image

and a good view of my PVC / foil tape contraption to fill in the ejection port:

Posted Image

the specifics of what i did is all here:

http://www.stormtrooperguy.com/ultimateE11/

once i get the counter and t-track i'll be able to wrap it all up!! i decided to paint it when it's all together, rather than as components, since i'd probably trash the paint job while putting it all together

Great idea, and nice work!!

I have a garrison mate's real deactivated Sterling SMG in my work shop (gonna cast that sucker for future projects!!) and I was contemplating what technique to use to "fill in" the ejection port, I think I'll do what you did. I'm going to pimp his out in the ANH version for letting me borrow it for pretty much as long as I need it.... woo hoo!

Another thing... the MR E-11 is actually heavier that teh real Sterling!

Not to hijack your thread either, but I am responding to your question about cylinders.

I was thinking of at least trying to use these parts to fabricate my own. They can all be found at Lowe's:

First the tubing itself:

Posted Image

Then the fitted caps sized to PERFECTLY fit the tubing. I can sand or grind own the depth of the caps to match the prop.

Posted Image

Threaded rod for attaching the hex nuts to. I thought I might fill the capped cylinders with some kind of caulking or glue and slip a measured and cut piece od threaded rod down inside.

Posted Image

Then I was going to stack 2 washers over the front and cap it off with a hex nut, although I don't know if a cap would work better and be more accurate here, or perhaps in additon to a washer here. Thoughts?

Posted Image

Sweet! I can't wait for my tracks to arrive.

Are the cylinders the resin ones casted up by Tony?

nope. i'm not really sure what these are going to look like, but they are free, so it would be hard to go too wrong

i like the idea of building them out of those parts. that should look pretty cool.

as i mentioned, i broke the first hengstler i got:

Posted Image

i decided to try to make the best of it...

i cleaned up the rest of the broken window, smoothed out the lip with some bondo, and painted it up. once dry i put in some thin, clear plastic as a replacement window.

so now, rather than being a damaged hengstler, it's a slightly altered one

Posted Image

when i get the new one i'll paint that up and replace this one. but for now, i hot glued it into place just to see what it would look like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

it will be easy enough to pop it off later and Goop the new one on.

now i just need my cylinders, wires, and the new counter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, but I kind of doubt it as I don't think they make the E-11's anymore. Don't quote me on ANY of that though, I don't keep up on MR's products too closely as I have my hands full with my own stuff!