New comparison pics of my not so new v.2 helmet.

gino

I have made 2 versions of stunt and hero helmets. The v.1 which is what was made available to a number of people, and the v.2 version.

The v.2 version of helmet has been around for about 2.5 years now. It is different and vastly better than my v.1 version for a ton of reasons.

I've posted pics of this helmet a long time ago on various forums including here, but these comparison shots are new.

Also, please take into consideration that although my goal was to try to match the Dave M. helmet, I only had earcap molds taken from it as the cap/back and faceplate were taken from the Brian R. helmet.

The Brian R. helmet is much softer in sharpness of pull than the Dave M. helmet so my helmet ends up looking much less sharp than the helmet that it's being compared to. I did not want to modify the molds to sharpen them as that would detract from their originality.

Keep in mind that the parts I make do indeed match the sharpness of the helmet it was taken from.

Here is the link to the comparison shots. It's in the section labeled

NEW!!! Gino v2 Replica Helmet

www.looksirdroids.com

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice shots gino

thanks for showing them

I openly challenge anyone to show a more accurate replica to the screen used helmet.

so i´m wondering if someone could make same angled pics of other helmets to compare to these shots

and i wanna know how close TM could go with his scratch build bucket

Wow... best reproduction I've ever seen. Especially with the cut of the eyes and ears matching the original identical. THAT's the kind of perfection and skill I admire Gino for.

I'd love to see the same reproduction but also with the same weathering and paint chips.

nice shots gino

thanks for showing them

I openly challenge anyone to show a more accurate replica to the screen used helmet.

so i´m wondering if someone could make same angled pics of other helmets to compare to these shots

and i wanna know how close TM could go with his scratch build bucket

I think the best helmets out there is: Tm. Gino. Te. Ap.

Gino is not for sale (as far as i know).

Te and Ap comes from about the same moulds (to my knowless).

I dont know if the Te is a bit bigger then the Ap, generation thing ex.

Tm is a true artist, and he´s armor/helmet looks right for anh look and size.

Whit out rotj tales on it (to my knowless Gino. Te. Ap. gf. Sds have rotj tales on there kit, modify rotj to anh kit ex).

Maby Tm is the best anh maker out there, as it is now.

It will be so nice to see more compare pictures of full armor kits, not only helmets.

And also what people think of the plastic thickness, and sharpness.

Only for display, or also good for trooping ex.

Let people know what to do/buy.

Line em up troops.

I only got Ap kit here, so i can not show a armor compare.

Cheers.

Rolf

My first sandtrooper costume included a Gino v1 helmet and I really thought that helmet was awesome. However, having had the opportunity to review the v2 first hand has really shown me just how soft the v1 was in so many places. The most amazing thing to me is to know that Gino is using the same mold (at least for the face) as the v1 and it is only the thickness of the plastic being used that is making the dramatic difference in sharpness! If I could ever convince him to make another "Look Sir Droids" style helmet I might be tempted to pull another suit together. Just as a note, the challenge I posted on my site is not one of arrogance (I had nothing to do with the creation of these helmets) but simply of awe. I have seen a LOT of trooper helmets but when it comes to screen accuracy I haven't seen a better one. Not saying a better helmet doesn't exist, only that I have never seen one. TM definitely has a nice bucket and some of the TE helmets aren't too bad either. I think it would be really cool to see them compared to the dave m helmet.

Mike, I agree with you about the weathering. I think the lack of scuffs and chips as well as more paint drips, especially on the face plate is a bit distracting as it makes the replica look really clean. When Gino sent it to me to review I threatened to go and roll it around the back yard and driveway but was threatened with death if I messed it up.

ok

after studiing those fantastic pics i´m back again

can´t say if it is the best bucket

cause that´s the first one with those great compared pics

now wondering how famous the originals must be pulled

especialy the cap n back

now waiting for the other builders how close they can go

Thought it might interest a few of you to get a rough idea of the differences between the v1 and v2. The key to me is the sharpness of the face. Of course Gino will tell you the biggest deal is the addition of the correct back/cap and ears... I guess we all have our own things. I definitely look forward to seeing other helmets.

Posted Image

Very nice comparison shots BB! I agree with Mike as well. It looks great but would be better with some HDPE tan showing .

I believe using correctly colored HDPE will be the next evolutionary step in the replica trooper helmet saga. I know several people have played with it, but I have yet to see anyone produce one. THAT will be very interesting to see!

I hope I'm not alone, but I just can't help looking at these pictures and admiring the work. They're absolutely beautiful.

I guess I should go wake up my daughter for school. Or I could just keep looking the these buckets. Hmmmm.... talk about love at first sight!

Well there's no doubt the V2 is fantastic and the best replica IMO. Only a HDPE version could top it. One thing though, the back looks to be flaring out looking from the right hand side for some reason.

as far as i know the back and face came directly from the Brian R. helmet which was unfortunatly not as sharp as the Dave M. helmet.

Gino wrote in another thread he didn´t want to sharpen the moulds to get the helmet as accurate as possible!

That is correct. The Brian R. faceplate and cap/back was much softer than the Dave M.

My v.2 helmet matches the sharpness of the Brian R. helmet which still makes it screen accurate.

It would take away from authenticity of my molds if I were to use any artistic license on them which includes sharpening any areas. This way they stay true to the helmet they were taken from.

That is correct. The Brian R. faceplate and cap/back was much softer than the Dave M.

My v.2 helmet matches the sharpness of the Brian R. helmet which still makes it screen accurate.

It would take away from authenticity of my molds if I were to use any artistic license on them which includes sharpening any areas. This way they stay true to the helmet they were taken from.

thanks for the info gino

any pics of the Brian r. helmet to compare?

maybe i have seen it

but can´t remember