E-11 Mag Housing Cylinders

Tyranus

I just got a reply email from Paul Harrison at Elstree Studios (One of the men who worked on building the Landspeeders and Mouse Droids for ANH)

Here is what he had to say:

Hi,

We built the originals but the art department did a lot of the dressing up. Most greeblie parts came from Elstree Electrical, which was an old store on the high street that had old oscilloscopes, valve radios etc.

But those parts I think were just spark plugs with the porcelain knocked off with tender tap from a hammer! We helped John Stears on the mouse droids too, we had it running around the workshop, based on a Datsun 280 RC sports car from what I remember. I think it was old valves on there. Most glass bits were broken off as we knew they wouldnt survive shipping, it was easier to remove them and repaint.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Paul

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY CRAP WARD! That is really wonderful and what a fantastic lead! Now to hunt for one of those Radiolettes'. It would be amazingly awesome if that was the part!

Thanks Seth.

I am very excited about the possible find, and Paul has been SUPER-nice in the emails back and forth. I also spoke with Chris Trevas from the Parts of Star Wars website about it. He had this to say:

Ward,

What we really need to look for is a whole rack of these things. The prop department cut them down into pairs. They came as full racks of 6.

Interesting info, but I can tell you they were racks of 7-pin vacuum tubes. Those are the fragile glass parts Paul remembers removing.

The large empty sockets were identified by the MSE droid builders forum.

Audio equipment is likely the correct direction. I've been focusing my research on amplifiers (which use 7-pin vacuum tubes, often in sets of 6).

Maybe you could ask Paul about amplifier equipment. Chewie's bowcaster and Luke's hunting rifle both have Fender amp knobs on them.

Chris

So I emailed those comments to Paul and he responded this morning with this:

That makes sense, the shop always had big old radios and "portable" amps for musicians which were big things. They had those other amps that went between a record deck and speakers too, I think marshalls were going well by then ?

------------------

Sent from Paul's Blackberry phone www.elstreeprops.com

I think we are getting EXTREMELY close to locating what this part is. If anyone out there has resources that could help, check them out. If granny has an old radio, or you know of an antique shop with old radios or amplifiers with vacuum tubes, ask to check them out.

Anyone know what that black thing is on top of the scope.

I believe that is part where the resin was filled into the mould like a funnel (sorry I don't know the correct term) but it's not part of the original scope (is it )

Yes I guess it could be but the cast I have seen on fan made ones the spure was off the feet of scope?Who knows?

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know whose pic this is:

Posted Image

I need to know what parts were used to make these cylinders, especially the TINY threaded rods and nuts. I have looked all over for something this small with no luck.

Any help would rock.

Hey Ward,

That photo is VERY similar to the MR E-11 I have.... but they are NOT screwed into the housing like those! I have never taken the cyliders apart so I can't help you on that one, but those smaller cylinders look to be some sort of uber-duty watch-band pins, or something of that nature.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whose pic this is:

Posted Image

I need to know what parts were used to make these cylinders, especially the TINY threaded rods and nuts. I have looked all over for something this small with no luck.

Any help would rock.

I believe it was bobasfett over at the RPF who did those pieces. I have two sets myself. They are absolutely superb. It was a one time run and everything was custom made.

I believe it was bobasfett over at the RPF who did those pieces. I have two sets myself. They are absolutely superb. It was a one time run and everything was custom made.

hmm... i wonder if bobasfett would ever think about doing a new run... seems like they'd be easy to cast, and the demand would be there.

i know there has been research for years to find the screenused item, but i thought i post some pictures as these cylinders were used on lukes landspeeder and those tiny deathstar mouse droids...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I doubt it's anything new but I sent the pics to someone who knows a little about British Electronics. His response:

It looks like a piece of electronics equipment. It has been sprayed grey which has camouflaged the typically varied component colors. You can see soldered joints on the tops of all the front cylinders as well as leads soldered to the plate behind and lots of components underneath. The low tin circles may contain valve bases and the tall tubes may contain coils. The top picture looks like a similar but different unit with cable at the front. They are probably out of some 2nd World War military equipment but I cannot recognize the function or nationality at all.

Thanks Luke!

One step closer. Now we need to just bring all the pieces together and FIND THIS THING!

You inspired me . . . I just fired off another email to a radio enthusiast to see if he can help.