E-11 Mag Housing Cylinders

Tyranus

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an answer as to what REAL WORLD part was used for the mag-housing cylinder on the E-11.

I have PMd and emailed Tony, but am not getting any answer from him. Does anyone know if he is away, or busy with work? Just wondering as I would like to begin my search for whatever piece they happen to be.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looking guy, huh.

LOL...thanks for the use o' yer mug Mike. I shrunk the PR source for a sweet av, I hope you don't mind.

naw, I don't care.

Use of my pictures is more rampant on MySpace. Crazy kids.

The MSE, according to a guy that worked on them, were covered with "greeblies" He said that there was an old warehouse with lots of old junk, electrical and plumbing bits (old in 1976 mind you) and they used that stuff all over the movie. He also mentioned they had trouble with Tunisian customs over three crates labeled "greeblies". The funny thing is they didn't even know what the parts were 30 years ago.

It looks like part of a coupling panel, some kind of input panel of some kind, but I'm not sure the cylinders are part of that original panel

Here are a few pics from the top of the mouse droid:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have sent several emails with these pics to the contact emails I found on Vintage Audio/Radio/Electronics sites, as these look like some type of input strip and perhaps the cylinders are secondary to the function of the smaller, recessed sockets on the bottom of the strip.

I'll let you know what I hear back. If anyone is good with electronics or old radios/audio, or you know someone who is, ask them to take a look at the pics.

Thanks!

I have sent several emails with these pics to the contact emails I found on Vintage Audio/Radio/Electronics sites, as these look like some type of input strip and perhaps the cylinders are secondary to the function of the smaller, recessed sockets on the bottom of the strip. I'll let you know what I hear back.

The answers I got ranged from:

"I'll have to charge you $36 an hour to investigate that"

to

"I have no idea what it is"

So for now it remains a mystery.

They are resin casts using Smooth-Cast 325 with black tinting already mixed into it, I could cast a few extras when I get some time. The price would be $10.00 each (includes shipping and PayPal fees) which would keep it reasonably fair for you, and be worth my time to deal with it.

Just shoot me a PM if you're interested!

I just found these pics of the Cylinders that were used not only on the Mouse Droid, but also as decoration for the hood of Luke's Landspeeder. They appear to be in the same configuration as on the mouse droid, which leads me to believe that this arrangement is how they are found in the REAL WORLD . . . as part of a strip of input/output sockets of some type:

Posted Image

And here I have a picture of Submarine Power Resistors:

Posted Image

Does anyone know what shop or who built the Landspeeder? If so, we could pursue them to try and determine the origins of these hood detail greeblies. Just a thought.

Sheesh... I was just standing next to that land speeder (in FULL TD armor, white pauldron) a little over a month ago and never even noticed those! So close, yet sooooo far!!!

Posted Image

I think it's a safe bet that it's WWII military surplus/junk, whether it's a British or U.S. design... God only knows!

I'm sure you're right . . . military surplus of some kind. The perfect resource for a low-budget film:

Cheap and in great abundance for the propmakers in England.

I just remembered that Elstree Studios has a website on which I had seen plans for the Mouse Droid. They did not detail the parts used, but I thought I would check it out regarding the Speeder, and there was an article on the site about construction of the Speeder. (see link below)

http://www.elstreeprops.com/Latest_News ... ws.asp.htm

I then emailed the main information address for Elstree with this message:

Hello,

I was browsing your website when I happened across and read the article by Paul Harrison telling about the origins and building of Luke's Landspeeder for Episode IV, A New Hope.

It is my hope that you can forward this email to Mr. Harrison as it comes with a question for him regarding a part that was used to decorate the hood of the speeder.

There was a strip of sockets and cylinders (please see the attached picture) that was used to decorate an opening in the hood of Luke's Speeder. it was also used on the top of the Mouse Droid, which I know you also created. (please see the attached picture)

I am trying to determine what these real-world parts are as they are also used for the cylinders which appear on top of the magazine well on the Stormtrooper Blasters in A New Hope. (please see the attached picture)

I have been emailing with the guys at "The Parts of Star Wars" and other prop builders, and this part has yet to be identified.

Your help would be greatly appreciated in helping me uncover the origins of these parts.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

I'll let you know what I hear back!

The guy who built a bunch of stuff including the MSE droids posts to the MSE builders Yahoogroup sometimes. He could not ID the parts, and said that most of the stuff like that came from an old warehouse nearby that had lots of various old electrical stuff. They didn't even know what most of the parts were in 1976, plus the stuff was old at the time. They went to Tunisia with three large boxes labeled "greeblies" and decorated a number of items there with the misc junk. Not trying to sound like a wet blanket, but its doubtful anyone will have any idea what the stuff was since they didn't even know what it was to begin with.