SDS armor

Rolf

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to stay on topic. Like Mike said, there really isnt any difference between the TE, TE2, AP, GINO, GF, and SDS other than the parts mentioned. I would also add that the detonator and shoulder straps looks different on the different armors as well. I would like to get my hands on all of them just to actually verify all of it, but from the pics I have seen they are all pretty much the same.

I can say, having seen the SDS, that it is quite thick compared to the others and very glossy as well. Also the TE is very detailed due to its styrene usage. The AP is glossy enough and somewhat more troopable than the TE due to its being made from ABS. (from what I have heard) I have never seen a GINO before. I guess that it would probably be very nice, but very thin and not wearable.

Helmets is another story... AP pulls are very tight and tend to have thin spots and made of glossy ABS. TE2 very thick and durable. Not as tight of a pull as AP but gets extra points for more correct size and nice Back / Cap. Made of styrene so painting is a must. Plus, the man has no ego.

I will post pics of my AP as soon as I can. If someones got a Gino, GF, TE, TE2, or SDS, bring em on!

sometimes i wonder why we have so many forums for the same 5 people to have the same conversation on

I agree. I'm sure I'm one of the 5 and it must be frustrating for others

However, like I said, if someone questions your integrity then its understandable that you'd want to respond to that. Hopefully between all the snapping and vitreol there's some useful info

Here's a collections of helmets (alphabetically so to as not upset anyone )

GF Type 2 Hero

Posted Image

GF Type 2 Stunt

Posted Image

Gino/CRProps Stunt

Posted Image

Gino/CRProps Hero

Posted Image

RT Mod Type 2 Stunt

Posted Image

SDS Stunt

Posted Image

SDS Hero

Posted Image

OMM, sorry TE Stunt Version1 (bumpycap)

Posted Image

TE Stunt ver 2

Posted Image

TE ABS Stunt (left) with SDS Stunt

Posted Image

and finally some more comparisons from left to right FX, AA/SDS, Gino/CRProps and GF Type 2

Posted Image

More on my site (which needs updating!)

Cheers

Jez

They are very nice,but the heros are still not rite..the hero movie helmets had three raised bumps on the ear caps and everybody else after has four.plus the eyes of the movie hero helmets had no bump in the right eye,they must have been made off completely different molds..just an observation i have made..freeze frame and look for yourself and you will see what i mean..

Maybe someday we will get lucky and one will be made correctly.also i was looking very close to the finish on the hero helmets and armor,it looks to me that they were painted.i know i have heard in the past from people that the hero suits were ABS,but i dont believe it,it looks like paint.Check out Lukes chest plate also,is has had about two inches cut off the bottom of it.i was told by my hollywood friend that at the time of filming Mark Hamil was around 5`10" tall,he must have long legs and a short torso,because the leg armor hasent been altered.watch the scene where Han,Chewy and Luke are walking threw the deathstar on thier way to the elevator and you will see what i mean..i study this stuff everyday..its kinda like a second job for me... i will try to stay on topic,sorry

Dear Jack,

I was not mocking you, hence the little yellow smiley guy winking in my post. I was joking. Everyone knows that FX is the least accurate of armors out there.

Bearden521 seems to want to Mock me and say FX is more "Cannon". Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Wait I though FX was the most screen accurate, hardest to get, most expensive and only fit small tiny people? It's not?!

Hey, this just crossed my mind. Jez, do you know where to get pictures of the original ROTJ armor that was used to make the current "accurate" molds? That would be cool to see. Maybe TE/OMM can pipe in here??

Maybe TE/OMM can pipe in here??

TE is no longer a member here and i doubt OMM to have pictures of the original TE suit if he isn´t the same person! as long as there is no proof for that theory please keep this thread friendly...

James- thats a scary pic!

weiBes trooper - i know what you mean with regard to the Hero helmets, noones quite got it right however I'm sure there wasnt a Hero mould, it was just the same as the Stunt, only cleaned up and done a month or so later with more time taken on the helmets (like the TIE's)

I'm never seen anything to suggest that all the armour was anything other than white ABS, the Hero helmets certainly were. These pics from the REAL/ANH Trooper section

Here's Luke's

Posted Image

..and an original Hero helmet in the LFL archive

Posted Image

I've a section on the site (Real/ RotJ TK Armour) with some good pics of a real set of RotJ armour, but not the one TE used as his base.

Cheers

Jez

I think it's very possible the hero's were painted.I've said from when I first saw that pic above was originally posted on the RPF that it looked painted,especially above the brow trim it looks like it has a mottled effect which is what happens when spray painted sometimes.I have no doubt thet helmet's were made from white plastic,but likely they were a matte finish painted glossy white.Just my thought's.....

"Recasting a TE or Gino is nothing more than honor among thieves.

Unless you sculpted it from scratch, you really have no position to complain about recasting as far as I'm concerned."

It's this mentality that prevents me from making any of the good stuff available to just anyone who wants it. That's why if I don't know someone or know of their views on subjects like this, they aren't getting anything from me.

"Like Mike said, there really isnt any difference between the TE, TE2, AP, GINO, GF, and SDS other than the parts mentioned."

I couldn't disagree more. Everyone I know who has something from me as well as something from any of these other guys to compare to in the same place will say the same.

"They are very nice,but the heros are still not rite..the hero movie helmets had three raised bumps on the ear caps and everybody else after has four.plus the eyes of the movie hero helmets had no bump in the right eye,they must have been made off completely different molds..."

Actually, I was the one who first identified the 3 bumps in the ear and made it known. This is old news. My hero has the correct style earcaps as well as no bump in the eye and I made those about 2.5 years ago. Check out the link earlier in this thread for pics showing it. And yep, I believe very strongly that the original hero's were not painted and were left white just like the armor was.

"Hey, this just crossed my mind. Jez, do you know where to get pictures of the original ROTJ armor that was used to make the current "accurate" molds?"

Not the original suit, but I am the only one with molds that touched the insides of an original suit. Everyone else's armor is taken from those based off of the rough vac formed parts given to GF. Everything else from there was recast including TE's stuff. And yes, they are different and possess all the warts/uneven surfaces that all the screen armors had even in ANH.

Lastly, the pics Jez posted were of my v.1 helmets that were made like 5 years ago. My v.2 helmets were made like 2.5 years ago and very few people have them. There are some new comparison pics on Braks' site www.looksirdroids.com for those who are unfamiliar with my v.2 helmets.

Gino, I do not think you can speak for someone, especially when you do not know how many sets of molds were made from the original suit.

Also, please tell everyone what you did to TE's master cap and back mold. Please also tell everyone why you did not offer to replace the mold or offer a pull so a new one could be made? It is simple You ruined it on purpose so you would have the only set of molds. I was there when he unpacked it and spoke to you on the phone at a ladter time about them being replaced and you refusing to saying in the most lame excuse I have heard to date: 'you knew the risks'. So, borrowing an item and then ruining it is ok without making reparations?

And again, I am NOT TE. He is a friend and a close one at that. Just because we may have a similar writing style is not a basis for comparison on this matter.

OMM