SDS armor

Rolf

Gino,

I agree your stuff is great, but we can't get our hands on it, so we have to go one, two, three or even four steps down in accuracy to get what we want. It looks to me we have four attainable choices TE2, AP, TM, and SDS and debate the accuracy of those. So I think your stuff gets left out of some threads because, well, why bother if you can't get one anyway (sort of like throwing LFL suits in the mix)? We save your stuff for the dream threads.

A newbys two cents.

Doug

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginos items the best. How can this be if he copied TE's molds? How can they be better? I do know if TE had the time in the past he would have been able to assemble every single helmet as per everyones request. This sadly was not the case. While making everyones suits and helmets I was witness many times to the 'list' of orders, and in the past I saw they were 20 deep.

So better from the exact same molds? I dont see it. I saw the helmets Gino posted of the new hero he did. In my opinion it is assembled entirely wrong and not even close to how the original Hero helmets were done.

Not starting a war here or picking a fight or sides, but I do not think someone making a few helmets here or there really constitutes being a maker, more of a fan. Saving it for a dream suit or helmet? LOL. Save the dreams for a real suit. If you want the same thing, go for a TE2.

OMM

Precisely. The suit molds Gino bought from TE's old partner, this was the ROTJ molds. The helmet is another story, the ANH one. All controversy aside, the molds are the same as TE's, one generation removed. The bottom line that can never be disputed or argued over is this: ALL original castings of armor and helmets have come from TE. Gino, GF, AP, and all the others have never cast there items from an original source.

That really is all that is needed to be known. I say good luck with the TE2 purchase! I hope it all works out for you.

OMM

Don't know what you mean by that - but maybe you should spend some time and look into TM.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

ok, guys... let's not get in another flame war here. This stuff has been hashed out time and time again on the RPF over the years.

Unless someone makes their stuff readily available, I don't consider them a true vendor. When folks say, "Gino is the best... Paul is the best..." yeah, they probably are. The real question is, can you get it!? If you can, great. If not, then please don't bash folks for for choosing a more available option like a TE or AP or even an FX.

For example, Clone6 has the premiere Clone sculpts out there. However, I don't bring it up in conversation because you can't get it.

Dear Mike,

I did not mean to start a war or degrade anyone elses armor. There is nothing wrong with TE, TE2, AP, SDS armors (I'm not speaking about helmets) - they are all fine. But if we are having a discussion of being accurate (ANH) - they are all not screen accurate. If you don't care about that - than that's fine, those are very good kits and all nicely done. If you are some who want as much ANH accurate as you can get (weather it is completely or not is debatable but it is much closer than the above metioned kits) than all I'm saying is TM is the way to go. Just my opionion. Bearden521 seems to want to Mock me and say FX is more "Cannon". As far as availabilty - He's on this forum - several months ago I just PM him and it seemed be no problem as far as availablity. I'm just trying to help others who are looking for as close as they can get to screen accurate - if they don't care about that - than that's fine. But I'm not making Mocking comments to anyone here, and if I came across that way - it was not my intent! - I'm trying to be helpful to those who don't know not degrade what people have.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

It also comes down to do you want something that has some tie to an original suit, or something that was totally fan-sculpted?

Also, some people want a piece only for display. Other people are going to put wear and tear on it by trooping around in it.

I was criticized for velcroing my handguards, but it sure makes it easy to pull them on and off when I'm trooping.

No, I don't put my stuff out for mass consumption, but there are some who do have it.

I'm not bashing people who choose other options. For example, my stuff is made just like the film stuff. It is not durable. It is not meant for repeated use time and again because the film suits were not either and matching them as closely as possible is my goal. For example, I can totally understand why someone would want a thicker more durable armor built for repeated costuming.

All I'm saying is when it comes to film accuracy (what it was like as a prop for the film) that my stuff is the closest out there regardless of how available it is/was.

Just because some people can/can't get access to it doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted in when talking about film accuracy.

And lets be serious, that OMM guy is TE. I know his writing style anywhere and the stuff being said by him regarding mold lineage is totally untrue.

Dear Gino,

I Apologize - Your name is Gino and I was thinking GF -armor. My mistake - I know there is a difference between Gino and GF. I owned 2 sets of GF around 2000. If possible Could We still see some pictures of your ANH armor. The Photos I've seen on Jez's site are not too close up which makes it hard to see detail. Also, the reason we are discussing armor that is ANH accurate and available is because if you go back to the first couple of posts in this thread - Rolf is taking about upgrading his armor and what is readily availble to do that - Since yours was not being produced it was not part of the discussion. Just like my older GF - not made anymore so we were not considering it here as an alternative. By no means did I mean to exclude your armor from the discussion on purpose.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

Redfox@optonline.net

Just because some people can/can't get access to it doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted in when talking about film accuracy.

And lets be serious, that OMM guy is TE. I know his writing style anywhere and the stuff being said by him regarding mold lineage is totally untrue.

I won't dispute the accuracy of your helmets, your hand assembling and attention to detail is fantastic. But if ten guys come up to me at a Con and ask, "Where can I get the best helmet?" Best is going to be subjective to everyone of them. The truth of it is, most of them would be happy to just own an FX or an AP, and it's easier to tell them that rather than something like, "if you go to this message board and create an account, and PM this guy, see what happens." That's really all I'm getting at.

Now... on to OMM/TE. Gino, I and many other think you are right. Personally speaking, I would like to have this debate about lineage settled once and for all. It's been beat like a dead horse more times than I can recall.

Please keep things civil.

I agree. "Best" is a subjective term. All depends on what you have planned for you suit/helmet/etc...

I do recognize the distinction between best and most film accurate. I was only claiming the most film accurate part.

Steps are being taken to put this whole lineage thing to rest. I am willing to bet that most people don't know and will be very surprised to hear.

...I was only claiming the most film accurate part.

Understood. Most people always ask me, what's the best, and it's obviously a difficult thing to answer. Best for what? Durability, trooping, display, accuracy, detail? Anyway, point has been made.

Great pic TD-4935 – glad someone here’s got a sense of humour.

I’ve got a few points since my last thread.

The Stormtrooper section IS out of date, but like I said its partly due to LFL's interest at the moment in everything "trooper" and I’d rather not want to tweak LFL's nose more than I really have to!

The reality is my whole site could do with an update, but I’ve not got the time. Even if I did I’m not so sure that my appreciation of Gino’s work would match his own apparent narcism

My experience with his stormtrooper (owning a helmet and a couple of mates in the UK with the armour) – leaves me with the feeling that its lovely to look at but most certainly not suited to troop in as it’s the most brittle Styrene I’ve encountered.

As to whether it’s the most accurate, we all have our own opinions. IMO the back and cap are great but the SDS face is measurably better. Armour-wise they’re both from the exact same RotJ source so neither catches the ANH look in my eyes. I’ve never seen Trooper Master’s helmet and armour in person, but from pics I have seen it looks excellent. Another one that really should be on my site. Like I said its my opinion and we all have our own!

As far as the “it’s the most accurate and I’m the best, please love me” – its all a bit childish. Given all the original Stunts were khaki HDPE painted white I’ve yet to see ANYTHING that really comes that close. Maybe helmet makers who really want to earn some praise should spend more time making props and less talking about how wonderful they are?

With respect to Vader helmets, a recent poll on the RPF saw the Darth Jones as #1 and Ghost Host ANH as runner-up and I’d probably agree with that.

OMM’s correct that Gino only made a few helmets (either alone or in business with Dave Gielda/CRProps, my guess 50) so maybe he/they couldn't really be considered a significant producer and so are maybe often overlooked. Apart from SDS (currently in a legal battle with Lucasfilm), the biggest producer of Stormtrooper, TIE helmets and armour was most probably OMM’s alter ego Trooper Expert. I therefore found it highly amusing and ironic that this was the same guy Lucasfilm used as their “Expert” witness in the UK LFL v SDS case

Cheers

Jez

Gotta pipe in here.

This is so immature.

These makers from the original source armor crack me up. Get off your high horse. Its $75.00 worth of plastic, and you are raping people for it.

The ROTJ armor that was used to make Gino, GF, TE, AP is no where near screeen accurate. I admit it looks like the real thing but its not at all like it. Plus, you recasted it! You didnt create anything.

I also have to say that all those armors have probably been recasted 100's of times now. After going to the Rose Parade and seeing all the variant recasts from all over the world, I would say that the armor is losing value everyday.

So enjoy the 15 minutes guys, soon nobody will care and your helmets will be available at yard sales everywhere for $5.00

So enjoy the 15 minutes guys, soon nobody will care and your helmets will be available at yard sales everywhere for $5.00

(PRIVAT MODUS)

and i will be there in these yards, i have lot´s of $5.00 to spend!

there will always be enthusiast like me looking for armor and helmets like GF, TE, TE2 or GINO! and there will always be a higher price to pay to get something "special"!

pulling a complete set of armor and helmet and maybe even assembling it is very time intensive. maybe not time intensive enough to justify the price we pay, but it´s not just the $75.00 for plastic...

(MODERATOR MODUS)

ok, but seriously, please guys keep this topic civil and friendly.

it´s ok, to make your comments but please stop bashing eachother!

These makers from the original source armor crack me up. Get off your high horse. Its $75.00 worth of plastic, and you are raping people for it.

The ROTJ armor that was used to make Gino, GF, TE, AP is no where near screeen accurate. I admit it looks like the real thing but its not at all like it. Plus, you recasted it! You didnt create anything.

Aside from the time it takes in labor to pull a set of armor, you're 100% correct. When it comes to "so-called screen accurate armor", no one owns the rights to anything, other than Uncle George. Recasting a TE or Gino is nothing more than honor among thieves.

Unless you sculpted it from scratch, you really have no position to complain about recasting as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, don't make me post the picture again, i've never seen it needing to be used twice .

What is the beef ? can someone explain why the teddy has been thrown out of the pram?

this appeares to be a case of sour grapes over who is winning the "oneup-manship" contest.

do the kids at the Cons and events give a toss?

No.

So i say again. whats the beef?

Michel Winner is poised and ready