SDS armor

Rolf

How good/accurate is the aa/sds.

I call out to people there have one, seen one, have knowless about them ex.

I have two APs, but i been thinking of maby geting a TM, TE2, SDS (GINO is not for sale as far as i know).

I know that aa in the early eighties throw out the anh mouls, but he kept the helmet moulds. And the skins for reference, for maby later youse.

So my question is:

What is skins (some rubber between the moulds, or what ). And how good are they to make a screen accurate anh armor.

Its a good looking armor i think (to a heavy price to go whit).

History:

SDS (the real maker of anh armors), made 56 milky white abs armors for anh.

About 12 stunt helmets in HDPE, painted white.

There was several variation of the anh storm trooper helmets.

The cause was the rebuilt of the mould about a dozen times, and also how hot the moulds or abs and HDPE was when pulled.

And in the way the was assembled.

Cheers.

Rolf

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rolf

All the 50-odd stunt helmets were beige HDPE painted white,with only the hero helmets being made from ABS(?).

Now,the skins as they are known,are supposed to be vacuum formed plastic covers for the moulds.AA said to me personally that he used these to make the suit's he is offering now.AFAIK,the moulds were destroyed in a fire when AA's studio exploded so how did the plastic skins survive?I know for a fact he isn't using these as his armour has ROTJ tells so there's no way he could use anything from 1976.I think we all know he recast a replica suit for his armour and used one of his modified 'prototype' helmets to make the helmets he offers.

The SDS armour is nice but not ANH accurate if you are going for an authentic screen suit.

Hi Rolf

All the 50-odd stunt helmets were beige HDPE painted white,with only the hero helmets being made from ABS(?).

Now,the skins as they are known,are supposed to be vacuum formed plastic covers for the moulds.AA said to me personally that he used these to make the suit's he is offering now.AFAIK,the moulds were destroyed in a fire when AA's studio exploded so how did the plastic skins survive?I know for a fact he isn't using these as his armour has ROTJ tells so there's no way he could use anything from 1976.I think we all know he recast a replica suit for his armour and used one of his modified 'prototype' helmets to make the helmets he offers.

The SDS armour is nice but not ANH accurate if you are going for an authentic screen suit.

Thanks once again Paul.

I was hopeing to hear somthing like this.

I know your are the man whit great knowless on this.

Thise armors are not cheap, so if i cant find the money for all of them to own.

So iam really happy for your knowless on this, before my money goes away in the wrond direction.

I have two AP armors, and happy for them (but i like to get more).

The AP and TE are very look a like to me.

The AP (in abs) are missing 1 bicep and 1 skin one, the TE (in hips) has not ex.

Both of then are about 3 generations ones, so therefor a bit "smaller" then the real anh ones.

Maby TM is the most accurate one in the size, and anh parts whit out rotj tales on it like the TE and AP have.

Best regards, and thanks once again Paul.

Rolf

I'd agree with most of what Troopermaster's said

I dont think AA's armour moulds were destroyed byy the fire on 26th March 1976 as the time line doesnt work. I just think he ditched them due to size etc. Keeping a helmet mould for 30years is one thing, 20 huge moulds for armour is another.

I was personally very annoyed when he told people he still had the original armour moulds as I knew it wasnt the case - it was obviously a rotj copy. It made it very difficult for people to believe his earlier claims about the helmet moulds(which i still believe to be true) so its not surprising people didnt trust him.

Cheers

Jez

Dear Rolf,

SDS is very nice armor but it is not ANH accurate at all. As far as kit armor go - I have owned Marco Entertainment armor, FX armor, 2 GF sets of armor, and now SDS. Of all THOSE kits - SDS is the best. My GF kits which I understand are basicly the same as the AP kits of today were not nearly as nice as the SDS. The SDS is assembled much better and the strapping is much better than when you puchase those kits fully assembled. Also - my major problem with the other kits I owned previous to SDS was that the abdominal plate and the lower back plate were not made large enough to join and have a closed seam like in ANH. Those kits all had a gap at your side which I truly hated. Also - those kits would have the belt attached to the abdominal plate - which is not ANH correct.

Now SDS as far as accurate ANH armor - not at all. It does not even come close. It is assembled really nice, the milky white color is the best armor color I have seen so far, and the strapping while not correct to ANH is pretty good. Now A.A. makes claims that he has the original skins to the molds from ANH - which he created the armor from - untrue! There is way to many inconsistancies with the armor for it to have been remade from original skins. I would say it is definatly ROTJ recast.

Here are some of the inconsistancies to ANH armor I have found:

1) On the Ab plate - the molded line above the center box does not go all the way up to the top of the ab plate.

2) On the Ab plate - under the small set of buttons on the side of the ab plate the armor should have a grove molded into it. You can see this groove on Sandtroopers because they have 3 buttons but it is harder to see on Stormtroopers because of them having 4 buttons - his armor does not have the groove.

3) The strapping is not correct to ANH at all.

4) The belt that comes with the armor is plastic - now you have an option to purchase a leather belt (which I have) and both are not correct to ANH. I put a sew line on the top and bottom of my leather belt to match the movie more - but please note it does not come that way.

5) The only parts that have been fitted with stripps is the front of the upper and lower leg armor. In ANH the stripps were also on the backs of the upper and lower legs and front and back of the lower arms, front and back of the middle arms all of which are not on SDS.

6) The stripps on the upper leg fronts - these stripps should stop about an inch or so above the end of the armor at the knee. The armor above the knee is rounded on ANH armor and the stripps should basicly go up against this rounded raised surface leaving a seam on the bottom of the upper leg armor above the knee. SDS has these stripps go right to the bottom - incorrect. Now the reason he is doing this is because when you are using ROTJ armor the seams overlap. This rounded molded area above the knee has been ajusted for the overlapping. So when the armor has been mottified to be ANH and stripps are added - this bottom rounded area is no longer rounded but flat. I have modified mine to be correct but it still does not even look completely right because of the rounded arear being made flat. - see my picutres below.

7) The sniper plate is screwed on which is incorrect on SDS armor.

The ab plate does not have the rivets in the sides holding it together like ANH amor.

9) The lower back plate does not have the step cut into the lower corners. What I mean by this is where the lower back plate meets the ab plate - on the bottom there is what looks like a square of material missing. On ANH armor this missing square which makes a step (stairs) look is in the mold (it is not cut out of the material which I have done to make it correct). SDS is missing this in his armor.

10) Now TM tells me there is something incorrect about the lower leggs. It has something to do with the right and left sides being used on the wrong side - I'm not sure what that one was so TM will have to give you that information.

11) On the upper Back plate - the Gear that is molded in the center of the box - it is centered with the 2 upright "11" molded parts. On ANH armor the gear was not centered but a little lower. I asked A.A. about this and he said that the gear came off alot during the making of the ANH armor and it can be in many different spots - now if that is try why do ALL THE ON SCREEN SETS OF ARMOR have it in the same spot which is slightly lower thant the "11" and uncentered?

12) Canister that attaches to the back of the belt - the original cansiter had 2 metal bands attached to it and then was clipped to the belt. SDS molds one large white piece of plastic to clip it to the belt - incorrect. Also, the white plate that is attached to the cylinder - there is what looks like a button on it. Most armor including SDS this button is molded out - giving a button look - on ANH armor the button is molded in - making what looks like a ring molded on the armor.

13) the ribbs that connect the front chest plate and upper back plate are not correct. The ribbs on ANH armor have that square piece molded in the front end on the chest armor but in the back on the upper back armor this square is missing on the ANH armor. SDS has this square on both the front and back of the Ribbs. Also, in ANH the ribbs are connected to the front chest plate but they are not accually connect the the upper back plate. They just hang over it and are hiding what is underneath those 2 plate connecting them. SDS is using the ribbs to connect these 2 plates and hold them together like strapping. The problem with that besides not being correct - it does not take a lot of stress from movement and they always pop open. I have since corrected this on my SDS.

These were all the non-accurate ANH things I could find - there is probably more.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Dear Rolf,

By the way - the helmet I'm wearing in the SDS armor photo's is the Stunt Trooper Helmet that is said to be from the original molds - not the lesser Battle Spec. Helmet.

Thanks,

jack v.

redfox@optonline.net

Thanks for shareing my friend.

Its really helps me out.

I think the te hips and ap abs are very much a like.

I like a strong accurate armor, you can troop in.

So maby tm in flex next time.

The main thing about gf vs. ap is the new helmet version (looks more like te-gino/wide and round top and back), and the better vacum job.

Here is a shot me in my ap.

Best regards.

Rolf

Posted Image

I'd agree with most of what Troopermaster's said

I dont think AA's armour moulds were destroyed byy the fire on 26th March 1976 as the time line doesnt work. I just think he ditched them due to size etc. Keeping a helmet mould for 30years is one thing, 20 huge moulds for armour is another.

I was personally very annoyed when he told people he still had the original armour moulds as I knew it wasnt the case - it was obviously a rotj copy. It made it very difficult for people to believe his earlier claims about the helmet moulds(which i still believe to be true) so its not surprising people didnt trust him.

Cheers

Jez

Hallo Jez.

I know this maby is a crazy/silly request to ask for.

But i really love your site.

It is really one of the best ive seen, and you have all the good contacts ex.

So my question is:

Have you ever been thinking of making a book about all this sci-fire stuff.

One thing is for sure i will buy it. If there was somthing like this in a book whit great pictures in.

Just a thought.

Best regards.

Rolf

I would think he doesn't do that because not all the photos were taken by him.

yeah i see... But i could be **** nice, whit one good reference trooper book.

Maby fans could make one together, but thats is only a dream... I think.

Cheers

TD252 - thanks for the encouragement mate

I think the vast majority of people WOULD let me use their pics. After all I usually take the time to quote the owner/photographer of the photos anyway so would do the same within a book.

HOWEVER, I dont think for a minute that LFL would sanction a book that deals with "fan made" (aka unlicensed) works, especially when in the majority of cases they put the licensed equivalents to shame! In order to do a "proper job" on it imo LFL would need to be involved.

Nice idea though!

Cheers

Jez

TD252 - thanks for the encouragement mate

I think the vast majority of people WOULD let me use their pics. After all I usually take the time to quote the owner/photographer of the photos anyway so would do the same within a book.

HOWEVER, I dont think for a minute that LFL would sanction a book that deals with "fan made" (aka unlicensed) works, especially when in the majority of cases they put the licensed equivalents to shame! In order to do a "proper job" on it imo LFL would need to be involved.

Nice idea though!

Jez

Thanks Jez, just a though.

Love your site, so a book whit some of the best knowless and pictures in would be more then nice have.

And you got all the right conections from e.g braks buddy and many more.

Cheers.

Rolf

Thanks Jack,

You'll notice that Ive not updated any of my Stormtrooper pages for some time now (at least 18 months), due to "you know who's" interest in a certain prop maker - which is why certain makers arent included.

Bottom line is the whole site could do with an overhaul but I dont really have the time, however I'm conscious that a number of helmet and armour makers arent represented, eg. AP, SDS, Meatsock, TE Fiberglass.

Maybe I should make a call....

Cheers

Jez

Dear Jez,

Maybe you can reorganize it - instead of giving names of the makers like TE or SDS - you could call them Armor Type 1 Fan Made, Armor Type 2 Fan Made ...etc. So the makers will not have any trouble and people could see the differences. Just a suggestion - It's a Great Website.

Thanks,

jack v.

RedFox@optonline.net

Thanks Jack,

You'll notice that Ive not updated any of my Stormtrooper pages for some time now (at least 18 months), due to "you know who's" interest in a certain prop maker - which is why certain makers arent included.

Bottom line is the whole site could do with an overhaul but I dont really have the time, however I'm conscious that a number of helmet and armour makers arent represented, eg. AP, SDS, Meatsock, TE Fiberglass.

Maybe I should make a call....

Cheers

Jez

Hallo Jez.

I got **** good ref pic of my AP, you are more then free to youse all my pictures if you like.

And i will be more then proud to be on your site as well.

One thing, your site could youse some of TM stuff also.

He´s a master armor maker too.

Cheers.

Rolf .

Here are some shots to show you what i got, i got more if you like.

Just pm me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yep.

You won't find any of my new stuff on Jez's site and the decriptions/facts regarding my old stuff is currently incorrect.

Ever since his whole involvement with AA I've felt that the entire trooper section had a VERY strong bias towards AA/SDS.

I feel Jez has let his personal feelings get in the way of his fair and true reporting of the facts of fan made trooper items.

I also feel that he has let his personal feelings regarding me get in the way of either representing or describing my items (not just trooper).

For example, (to date) no one makes a more film accurate trooper helmet (stunt or hero), or vader items than me. However they are not even represented on his site. Even if he were to put them on there, I fear that his personal negative feelings towards me and his pride would not even allow him to admit that these are the most film accurate helmets/items out there to date let alone praise them. I suppose I'd rather not have them be represented than to be bagged on and have untrue statements made about them.

My hope is that Jez will one day let go of these feelings as to let his site be free of personal bias and give fair, true, and deserving praise to the descriptions of items of even people that he doesn't like.

Then and only then will SWhelmets.com truly be the site people think it is. Fair and unbiased even in the face of personal difference.

Dear Gino,

I have a pretty good idea of what is film accurate with armor - But if you have the time and would like to share - could you explain what makes a Helmet film accurate (pictures would be helpful too if possible). I'm really more interested in the Stunt version than the Hero but I'm sure others would like to no what makes a Hero version Film accurate.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Accurate in terms of what? Fan made molds, TE molds or molds sculpted from original stuff like TE also claims?

I only know Jez from being on MEPD. I'm not trying to "side" with anyone in saying this but the bottom line is that it's "his" website. We're not here to bash people and it seems like your post is all about that and bragging about your helmet line.

No pun intended but it seems like you only post when you want to ***** about someone or brag up your stuff.

Cheers

For example, (to date) no one makes a more film accurate trooper helmet (stunt or hero), or vader items than me.

his pride would not even allow him to admit that these are the most film accurate helmets/items out there to date let alone praise them.

I suppose I'd rather not have them be represented than to be bagged on and have untrue statements made about them.

Then and only then will SWhelmets.com truly be the site people think it is. Fair and unbiased even in the face of personal difference.