Tyranus

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I found an authentic M38 Tank Telescope for the conversion process:

Posted Image

Now the only thing that won't be real-world accurate is the power cylinders on the top of the mag well, and I will get those as close as possible, if we don't identify them first.

I'm not sure what it is yet, it hasn't arrived. That image is from the website where I found it. I think they had others if anyone wants them.

PRICY, but if you consider how much bids on Ebay end up for things like that, it wasn't that bad, and I didn't have to wait for one to pop up for sale. The last bid I was watching for an M19 scope ended up at $170.

Check out the site here:

www.checkpointcharlies.com

I told the guy I would be telling my friends.

If you go here: http://www.partsofsw.com/e11guide.htm

I am going to do a cross between ANH A2, and ANH C.

The only variation from ANH A2 will be that I will probably have a straight mount for the scope, not angled.

The straight mount goes straight into the rear sight. Presumably riveted directly to the sight (which is flipped forward to the 200 position).

I am choosing this option over the angled mount because the angled mount bends down to the gun body to be directly riveted to the gun. The rear body of my Sterling is plugged with solid steel, and while it could be drilled into, I would rather not deface the body.

Thanks Tony.

I just stumbled across it while Googling M38. I clicked the link and there it was, right next to an M19 scope with a link to a shopping cart and I was like . . . "Am I Dead!? Could it be that easy?"

I emailed with Charlie (Yes his name is Charlie) and he was super nice.

I measured, bent and cut a scope rail in preparation for receiving the scope hopefully tomorrow.

While I know there is nothing particularly entertaining about a scope rail, I still thought I would post it up to document the process.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have not yet attached it. I just made it up, and will attach the scope and Hengstler mount to it before attaching it to the gun.

Any ideas are welcomed!!

I had thought about possibly having it welded in the front and rear. When the rear sight is folded down to receive it, there is -0- clearance under the part that is folded forward to allow a rivet head or even a flathead bolt.

I have thought about possibly bending a hook into the front mount so the front will go into the vent hole, down to the desired (notched) depth with the hooked portion then pulled back and pointing toward the rear of the gun. Then, when the rear is attached snugly (somehow), the front would have no place to go with the hook in place.

Alot of this will be answered when I see what kind of mounting screws I will be using for the scope. I would like to use very short hex/thumbscrews so it could be removed once the rail is mounted.

If it works out that thumbscrews can be used, I may just go with the welding for strength, as I wouldn't have to worry about ever having to remove the rail to get the scope off.

The scope should be here tomorrow!

Somebody who read my post about Checkpoint Charlie's over at the Blaster Builders Forum just picked up a M19 scope and dropped me a thank you PM !

Cool.

It's so awesome to have discovered a good source for scopes if not other hard to find parts.

I cut out the window on the Hengstler Counter last night.

Here's what it started out looking like (black plastic piece)

Posted Image

I cut out the window and shaved down to create the two "T" shapes on either side of the back edge. It had been one solid edge across, now it dips down .

Here's what it looks like now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Seth!

The scope is "OUT FOR DELIVERY" with UPS right now, and I'm dying!!

I really want to get a good look at it, snap a few pics, and then spend the evening marking and drilling the mounting holes for it and the Hengstler mounting bracket on the scope rail.

Depending on any paint that may be on it, I may strip the scope as well and have everything painted together in the final painting step.

I was thinking about NOT painting the black plastic portion of the Hengstler or the part that shows through the window from beneath . . . any thoughts on that ?

I guess from an accuracy standpoint I should, I am just worried about the Eagle logo not beaing very clear if I do.

The scope was waiting for me yesterday after I got off work.

Here are a few pics I snapped of it last night:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The knurled brass piece in the front (actually the part you look into) is for fine focusing adjustment.

Posted Image

The little clip thingy underneath holds a small bearing in place inside the end of the scope for the threads of the focusing ring to ride on. It is spring loaded so you can pull the focusing ring out quickly without having to unscrew it all the way.

Posted Image

Yes, I checked to make sure it's a real M38:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are a few test pics of it sitting on the scope rail:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a VERY impromptu picture (with terrible lighting) of the basic layout of things. I think the scope will actually end up being mounted back a bit further, so the Hengstler mounting bracket will line up with the front scope mounting bolt.

Posted Image

All in all, I am one HAPPY Sandtrooper this morning!