In search of Sterling

Tyranus

OH, I almost forgot to mention that I disassembled the trigger assembly and removed the trigger and guard. I'll use the stripper on them as well and prep for painting.

I am NOT painting the grip, which I guess is BAKELIGHT or similar material. It isn't perfect, but looks better than it would if I painted it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DB Rider!

I took advantage of AMAZING weather this weekend and shot the black satin paint. By the time I was finished shooting and allowed it to set up in the wonderful temperatures, and re-assembled everything, there was no daylight left. I still have the muzzle-end bolt head to shoot and screw back in place, but everything else is almost done.

I removed the bubbled window on the Hengstler counter and have nothing in right now. I had heard that the windows on screen-used blasters were flat, not bubbled, but I kind of like it with nothing!

Now the last pieces are to make the cylinders for the top of the mag-well and add the coiled wires, and secure the "fins" that cover the cooling vents.

I took the "finished pics" inside last night. I apologize for the horrible lighting, and will be taking some in daylight conditions outside as soon as possible.

Here they are:

Some of the parts drying:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here you can see the harness I set up inside my truck to suspend the gun while the folding stock dried:

Posted Image

looks awesome!

so did you take the plastic window out of the hengstler? that was a tricky area for me... i didn't like the beige border around the window, but didn't want to remove it either.

i ended up hunting down a black 4 digit hengstler.

i had a similarly wacky looking rig for drying mine, though i didn't bother breaking it down before i painted it.

brian

And here are pics of the gun once reassembled:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you very much! I promised myself that I would take as much time as necessary to do it right. I was only going to do it for myself once, so I figured I would enjoy the ride!

If you look at the enlarged version of the picture that shows the hengstler display, you'll notice a slightly uneven "border" area that you are talking about above the digits. This was the ONLY area around the window that was glued down. I didn't know that, and pressed in the center, cracking the window. Had I known, I would have pressed EVENLY across the bottom to hinge the window out until the glue cracked. Hopefully this info will help someone else doing this kind of conversion.

I really like the clarity for the digits of the open display, so I think I will leave it and make that my PERSONAL ANH E-11 variation.

The drying rig was purely born out of necessity, as trying to figure a way to suspend the gun while the stock dried was not easy...especially to get it to hang in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT so it didn't touch the blaster barrel.

I really appreciate the comments, and I will continue to post up pics of the rest of the process. I skimmed through ANH last night to see if I could spot a blaster with the coiled wires, and could not find one. The chart here:

http://www.partsofsw.com/e11guide.htm

shows that they exist, but I couldn't find it. If anyone has HI-RES pics of this gun, please PM me to email them or post them here!

Here is a pic I managed to snap when I got home last night, using the fleeting sunlight for a little more detail. Please excuse the dirty truck hood beneath it!

Posted Image

**** fine work my good man! That looks fantastic!

Paul

Thanks Paul! I'm really pleased with it so far.

When I finish the bent plate for the cylinder mounting, I may have it mount with strong magnets underneath to the mag-well, so I can remove it if I want to.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished putting the process up on my blog. I'll try to add more narrative about what I did as time permits.

You can either find it here:

http://sterlingblasterconversion.blogspot.com/

Or just GOOGLE: STERLING BLASTER CONVERSION

It should be the first item returned.

I am really excited!

I sent the link to my Sterling conversion blog page

http://sterlingblasterconversion.blogspot.com

to Paul Harrison from Elstree Studios, London (One of the men who worked on building the Landspeeders and Mouse Droids for ANH). I had spoken with him before about the magazine well cylinders, and trying to identify them.

Having my work reviewed by this original ANH prop maker is unbelievably surreal.

Here is what he had to say in his email back to me. (His P.S. is about the magazine cylinders):

Ward, that is stunning work, looks perfect! I actually used to fire these in the British Army, it was the weapon issued to those working inside tanks and mobile artillery units as the SLR rifles were too long to get in and out with quickly.

They are a wicked weapon, hopelessly innacurate at range but great at close quarters. When firing a long burst, the recoil was so strong we had to aim bottom left of a target and push down on the top of the barrel as it would come up and to the right really hard! They were easy to strip and clean but dirt would easily find its way into the spring area. We used to stick a condom over the end and unroll it to help:)

I've got an ILM stamped cast resin one somewhere in the containers, if I can find it I will photo it for you.

Great job, but don't make it too clean or you will lose the look and feel of the movie!

Cheers, paul

P.S.

Just had an idea, I have all of John Stears’ droid manuals, were the same valves used on any other droids? The MSE manual doesn't show them clearly, but I have the umbrella droid, stick droid, dome droid and R2-d2 which are more detailed.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, quick question. Is it illegal to have a deactivated machine gun in the USA? I have read conflicting posts on the net ranging from you could go to jail -to- it's perfectly legal. Has anyone actually checked with the ATF?

Hey there, I live in Pa and own a few deacts with no problems(permits,licenses not required). There may be laws concerning this with your local government. The laws differ depending on which state or city you reside in. Check with your local authorities or go to your areas magisterial district office.Also some states/cities require blaze orange plugs or some type of blaze orange on or around the barrels muzzle. :)

• 2 months later...

I am SO STOKED!!!

I just received my custom made Mag Well Cylinders from Russ Brown (also a droid maker), and wanted to show you what I'm going to be using to complete my Sterling conversion.

Check 'em out:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

YEAH, those look absulutly fabulous!

i´m so lucky that i will also get one of these beauties for my real sterling E-11!

Russ has done some fantastic work, like always... :P

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey Tyranus,

could I get the contact info. for Russ Brown (droid maker) - who made your Mag Well Cylinders - I could not seem to find him on the board. i tried to PM you but your box was full.

thanks,

jack :)

Redfox@optonline.net