Paints used for Weathering your Sandtrooper armor?

Trooper Peter

Will appreciate some advise from the Veteran MEPD troopers and officers here.

What type of paints do you use to create the outstanding weathering effect on your Sandtrooper armor? Model Kit paits such as Revell, Testors? or Artist Water / Poster Colors? or Chalk Pastels?

Is one to two colors sufficient to create a realistic weathered effect?

I'm aware that weathering armor is definitely a different ball game than the technique that I have used to weather my Tusken Raider bandages, Inner and Outer Robes.

I know that Roy Starkiller used TAMIYA Hobby Paints for his since he has posted it in the main 501st HQ forums. I'm just exploring the options available so that I can get the materials in advance before I acquire the set of FX Stormtrooper Armor for my Sandtrooper costuming project.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Hey Mike "TD-1536"

Thanks for the URL link the weathering Tutorial. I've already saved it under my Favourites. Yeah I remembered seeing this great Weathering Tutorial a couple of months back when the tought of doing a Sandtrooper costume haven't crossed my mind yet.

I'll see whether the art supply shops over here in Malaysia have these Woodland Scenics' Earth Colors Liquid Pigments :

Posted Image

recommended 4 oz. bottles of Raw Umber (mfg. part # C1221), Yellow Ocher (mfg. part # C1223), and Burnt Umber (mfg. part # C1222) available here. Otherwise I'll source for some close substitutes that is of the matching colors.

alternative: tempera/craft paints! tutorial on:

http://www.tk409.com/tk409.html

Hi RoCKo,

Thanks for reaffirming Chris "TK409" Bartlett's superb website. I'm currently studying his Sandtrooper armor weathering techniques.

Hmm....not sure whether the Tempera/Craft paints are available here in Malaysia or not...

those tutorials are simply the best!

i was very worried back then when i tried my first weathering but i followed Brak´s awesome tutorial and it was quite easy to get a good result.

best thing about both techniques is that you can always start a new try.

i first weathered my helmet, but i recommend to weather a bigger part of your armor first. the best part to start with is in my opinion the chest plate.

for those woodland colors i gave ebay a try and it was quite easy to find a store shipping over to germany, so it should be no problem shipping to malaysia too. for all three colors i payed round about 30-40 $ including shipping to germany. you won´t need more then a bottle of each color for a complete armor. but it´s always better to have some bottles on hold.

i need to buy another tripple for my second TE2 armor!

Be careful though... I've used other brands of Tempra paints and they were less than temporary, very hard to get off (ideally you want paint that is easy to take off in the weathering methodology). While finding similar colors is easy enough, I have not seen/used another brand that behaves like the Woodland Scenics do.

• 1 month later...

Yup, I had bought some cheap-o's and they weren't very easy to work with.

You're absolutely right on this. I won't take the risk of working with cheap-o's but with the 3 recommended Woodland Scenic Liquid Pigment Colors - Raw Umber (# C1221), Burnt Umber (# C1222) and Yellow Ocher (# C1223) to weather my recently acquired set of FX Stormtrooper Armor , which is currently pending the necessary parts to convert it to Sandtrooper Armor configuration (and weaponry too since this DH-17 prop happened to be on loan ) :

Posted Image

Just a quick question, did any TDs here used Fuller's Earth in a dusty tan /gray color to weather your armor? Is this a weathering necessity?

That really does look great i've ordered some of that tamiya stuff so will be having a play with it soon never weathered a suit before so should be fun

I got no progress pic of it.

Ive done it this way.

Youse all 3 colours, put it all over the armor.

Youse the darkest one where the armor goes in, and spots here and there.

You spray it "just a little" whit hair spray.

Then you take real hot wather, and toliet paper.

And gets it of here and there, when the toliet paper gets wet.

Its stay on here and there, after a short while you brush it off whit your hand. and you got a good old desert look.

Good luck trooper

had a little practice with the tamiya stuff does this seem like a suitable level of dirtyness ? sorry about the pic rubbish camera

Posted Image

i'll stop hijacking this thread now

Looks great! to me.

Keep them pictures up on coming trooper.

Cheers