MG-34 Kit question

I've read where the vacuformed kit MG-34 is more trouble than its worth. But has anyone purchased one of the preassembled MG's from this dealer? I see where he sells both the kit version and a deluxe version that comes assembled, painted and drilled/cut out. Has anyone tried one of these?

I only bought the kit unassembled, so I'm afraid that I'm not too much help. I did finally finish the kit and it turned out okay. It's pretty solid and has a good weight to it. It may not be the greatest out there, but it is definitely the best value. I feel that the time you spend sanding wood and painting a do-it-youself, would be equal to the time and energy put into a vacuform. I posted pics in the photo gallery if you care to take a peek at them. See what you think. Of course, you could do one and it could turn out to be a dazzling work of art. The kit is only limited by your own modeling skills and imagination. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I picked up the MG-34 from the post office yesterday. I'll give it a C+ grade. I had it built for me because I just wouldn't have the time right now with all the other projects I have going on. The seller/builder added a pvc pipe to the inner barrel and drilled out the holes in the outer barrel. He also added some foam material inside to give it some weight. It's still very light and won't be tiring to carry around. It is styrene plastic and may break if it takes a good hit though. The detailing isn't quite as pronounced as I was hoping for...might be just a characteristic of this type of casting. There is a little clean-up work to do...some excess plastic I can Dremel off easily...and a seam that runs down the length of the barrel. He did a really good job of painting and weathering the gun though, and I think it will look good in pix and to the casual observer. Overall I'm happy with it, and will troop with it. I'll post some pix in my album when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, just got mine, and I give it a D- considering the money it cost for it in kit form and what it'll take to make this thing worth a crap. the detail for the most part is pretty dulled out, and the plastic it's pulled from is wayyy too flimsy. it's just ridiculous. anywhoo, I've got my work cut out for me to assemble this thing so off I go.

• 3 months later...

I just got mine in the mail and anyone who might be considering this kit as a "cheap alternative" might as well reconsider and save up and buy one of the better versions out there.

The plastic is *cheap* - the details as *dull*

That about sums up this kit. I'm probably going to sink another $60 into it just to make it look *halfway* decent.

• 2 months later...

I go tmine today as well. and I agree, its a POS and not much like in the pics on the websight. It is going to take some work to clean the **** thing up. But on the other hand a blaster is a blaster.

I got one of those vacu-formed MG-34's and it didn't look like much to begin with but with some work it is awesome. It is simple, just use your modeling skills and make it look like you want it to. I modified the tripod mount, as well as using modeling clay, sanding, and finally painting/weathering. I should post some photos. A word of advice: although the Hyperfirm MG-34's are perfect, I have had problems with Sci-Fire (the company that makes them). I ordered their E-11 back on Jun 21 and was told it would be ready in about 1 1/2 wks. I still haven't seen it or heard a word from John at Sci-Fire since. I asked for a refund about 2 weeks ago and still no reply to my repeated emails.

Sorry for venting...

yeah, I've been getting emails from people about their dis-satisfaction about not getting their hyper-firm guns in a timely fashion, and the lack of communication.

You guys at Sci-fire make good stuff! I fully endorse your MG-34, however, if I continue to hear negative stuff, I won't be too quick to recommend you. Care to rebuttal?

Hey gang,

The majority of the sandtroopers posting here within the last year know me and I consider myself more or less the unofficial "cheerleader" for ALL sandtroopers, past, present, and future. I've always tried to encourage all in their journey to the dirt-side.

In defense of the boys at Sci-fire, the quality of their products are unequaled - bar none. AND quality takes time. The individuals out there who are lucky enough to own a Sci-fire product can testify to that (I've got the E-11 & MG-34/DLT-19). I know for a fact that they've "spread" themselves out a little thin the last couple of months.

However, to be fair I also know that they have experienced several "unforseen" circumstances (I'm talking serious guys!) in turn making it difficult for them to fulfill their commitments.

For me, I personally don't mind waiting for quality stuff - but on the business end, it may be better for Sci-fire to extend the lead time for delivery of their "much-prized" products so we have an idea how long the wait will be.

Another thought to consider is that, like most of us, Sci-fire is not a full time business. Just like the majority of us out here, they do have full time jobs, families, & their own commitments. Wouldn't it be great if we could do our STAR WARS hobbies for a living? (And some do!)

Anyway, the point is that the guys at Sci-fire had some serious s**t occur during the past several months and I would like to believe that we could give them some time to recover and get back on their feet. (And believe me gang, I've been waiting just as long as some of y'all)

Take care all. Aloha & God bless.

Guns

• 1 month later...

Guns is correct.

Being friends with the guys at Sci-fire & having been to the "Shop" does make me a tad biased, but these guys are great at what they do & sometimes problems do arise.

I was there for a few moments last night on the way back from a TV shoot (here's the Plug- watch G4TV, "Attack of the Show" Thursday NOV 17,2005 at 4:00 PM) The guys have some serious "real-world" work going on & don't have any "free time" they are working up to 16 hour days ,7 days a week.

Give them a break.

I'll try & go down this week-end & see what's up.

I haven't been to the shop and don't know anyone personally at SciFire. But I do know what it's like to work a 60+ hour week with personal issues (in my case, a new daughter) and have no time to do anything other than exist.

If making hyperfirm guns were their primary biz I might look at it differently, but considering it's a side job/labor of love I don't hold the delays against them at all, as I don't think I could do any better than they are if I were in their shoes.

So yeah, I'm a bit bummed too, but I also think the end product is worth the wait/delays, and don't have any bad feelings their way.

Guns is correct.

Being friends with the guys at Sci-fire & having been to the "Shop" does make me a tad biased, but these guys are great at what they do & sometimes problems do arise.

I was there for a few moments last night on the way back from a TV shoot (here's the Plug- watch G4TV, "Attack of the Show" Thursday NOV 17,2005 at 4:00 PM) The guys have some serious "real-world" work going on & don't have any "free time" they are working up to 16 hour days ,7 days a week.

Give them a break.

I'll try & go down this week-end & see what's up.

Oh Man!

Nathan, you are SO lucky! I want to visit "the shop" where dreams are made!!!! I wanna see, I wanna see too!

Guns

Well HH,

I wouldn't expect any hyper-firm rubber MG-34/DLT-19s in the near future.

Sources tell me that the MG-34 molds must be recasted. Add the fact that these weapons require an obxiously large amount of material to make, it will probably require a great number of "customers" to make this project cost-effective.

Easy for me to speak, I've got one of these bad boys! And it was WORTH every penny I paid for it.

Guns

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of the "Deluxe" MG34s referred to in earlier posts. VERY, VERY disappointed. Had to do some weathering and other mods - now looks good from 5ft.

If you're considering getting one from this guy it should be as a temporary substitute until your SciFire MG34 arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Well HH,

I wouldn't expect any hyper-firm rubber MG-34/DLT-19s in the near future.

Sources tell me that the MG-34 molds must be recasted. Add the fact that these weapons require an obxiously large amount of material to make, it will probably require a great number of "customers" to make this project cost-effective.

Easy for me to speak, I've got one of these bad boys! And it was WORTH every penny I paid for it.

Guns

It is true that the Mg-34 mold has passed way, & a new mold must be made.

I was there Sunday & have now been inducted in as a Sci-Fire "member".

The MG-34 Master has been prepped & is now ready to mold again.

I have also been "assigned" to handle the MG-34 for all sales & shipping.

I will post an interest thread soon. (within 2 weeks or so) so start saving your pennies.

To elleviate the problem of late shipping that has plagued us, We aren't doing a "project order" on this round.

We also have started delegating specific weapons to specific people.

That way, The Burden on John will be much lighter.

I will post the Mg-34's for sale AFTER they are finished & are ready to ship.

I won't accept any money "in advance".