The Definative MG34 Resource

So, a toy prop is causing a debate of this magnitude... the fact that this topic was made into a sticky at the top of this section of this forum is frankly sad...

The pursuit of accuracy is by no measure sad, if you think that you are reading the wrong forum. Not trying to be a **** but its a fact, if a bottom line entry level model is good enough than there is no real reason to read a lengthy dissertation on an accurate replica, right?

I mean seriously, this is about a styrene or hyperfirm or real/demilled metal machine gun copy for us to carry as costume wearers? This is costuming... it is for fun.

Making it accurate is fun, I know not everyone feels that way but again if that is the case skip the accuracy-nut discussion. I love refining things until they are a proper film replica and I love trooping. One doesn't negate the need for the other and I think that is a great attitude to have.

would the 50 kids gathering around us to take pictures with us, having fun being with Star Wars troopers notice?

Not one bit.

Anyone perspective that?

Yeah, forget the kids. No really, it my costume; get bent. No one buys armor because they want to make kids smile or help charity, that is a load. We all bought armor for selfish reasons. I love Star Wars, I want Stormtrooper armor, the end.

With that said, I love to share my costume with fans of all ages and it is truly rewarding to use it in service to charities and to delight kids.

However, I make it the way I want it because it is mine. "Kids" and "the fans" confuse TIE Pilots with Darth Vader, if that is all we need to cater to than we might as well abandon costume discussion forums because all we will need to do is wear a cardboard outfit.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitecommando, I just want any costume piece or prop I have to be the best that it can be. I honestly think a converted Hasbro with resin add-ons looks better than the wrapped-in-saran-wrap cushman, and costs about the same.

I recognize that cost does come into the discussions at some point, but my goal is always to have the best. Will I always have the best? No. At present, I can't afford it, but with that as my goal, I always have something more to work toward.

I'm never completely happy with any of my costumes. I'm always tweaking and refining. That's fun to me. Striving to make it better is fun. Some guys have limitless funds and can just buy the best of everything from the get-go, but they bore of the hobby pretty quickly with nothing left to strive for.

All I can say is, if the cushman's okay for you, that's great. Just don't get your ego bruised when folks on this forum don't agree.

I love kids. But I love babes more! HAHAHA! Not Babies... babes! Babes don't know squat about blasters either! That is why I carry five! I am like a Rambo (with Cushmans! HAHA!).

I was on my period over the past 5 days. I feel better since I am back on my MEDS! HAHAHA!

But I am still going to massage, and rub, and bondo (for hours), and paint, and greeblie up my Cushman E-11 to the point you guys are going to want it bad! I just need to figure out a way to pour molten steel inside to get the weight right!

Funny thing Seth, about kids... I did a white Mandalorian Pre-Pro white Fett-styled Super Trooper (per Joe Johnston's description of what Boba was supposed to be - a squad of old clone wars commando special forces warriors) <-- HAHAHA! As described by Napolean Dynamite! - "I am pretty good with the bow-staff - I could be the commander of your security forces" <-- to Pedro!

You know what the kids called me in that white Fett??? The White Power Ranger!

So yeah, down with kids! Up with babes and good suits and guns!

John

So, a toy prop is causing a debate of this magnitude... the fact that this topic was made into a sticky at the top of this section of this forum is frankly sad...

The pursuit of accuracy is by no measure sad, if you think that you are reading the wrong forum. Not trying to be a **** but its a fact, if a bottom line entry level model is good enough than there is no real reason to read a lengthy dissertation on an accurate replica, right?

I mean seriously, this is about a styrene or hyperfirm or real/demilled metal machine gun copy for us to carry as costume wearers? This is costuming... it is for fun.

Making it accurate is fun, I know not everyone feels that way but again if that is the case skip the accuracy-nut discussion. I love refining things until they are a proper film replica and I love trooping. One doesn't negate the need for the other and I think that is a great attitude to have.

would the 50 kids gathering around us to take pictures with us, having fun being with Star Wars troopers notice?

Not one bit.

Anyone perspective that?

Yeah, forget the kids. No really, it my costume; get bent. No one buys armor because they want to make kids smile or help charity, that is a load. We all bought armor for selfish reasons. I love Star Wars, I want Stormtrooper armor, the end.

With that said, I love to share my costume with fans of all ages and it is truly rewarding to use it in service to charities and to delight kids.

However, I make it the way I want it because it is mine. "Kids" and "the fans" confuse TIE Pilots with Darth Vader, if that is all we need to cater to than we might as well abandon costume discussion forums because all we will need to do is wear a cardboard outfit.

Yeah man, I saw your Pre-pro and it was pretty sick. I think the only kids that are sharp enough to pick up on the details are ours.

I just wish that people would stop asking me why the other ones are clean and I am all dirty. Don't sweat your man-rag, we're all friends here.

Look at this. It makes my wife sick!

Posted Image

HAHAHA! I am doing so great now! The meds feel good.

I love you guys! Anyone know where I can get some "cheap" MP-40 pouches - repro or actual???

Later Friends!

John

Yeah man, I saw your Pre-pro and it was pretty sick. I think the only kids that are sharp enough to pick up on the details are ours.

I just wish that people would stop asking me why the other ones are clean and I am all dirty. Don't sweat your man-rag, we're all friends here.

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic ...

Two months ago, Rob Slater (a.k.a. TD5422) took rubbings of the barrel shroud of his demilled MG34. At the time I promised him that I would scan the rubbings and post them here. Unfortunately, I was sick with a fever when the rubbings arrived, and so they ended up being set aside instead of scanned, and sat neglected on my kitchen table ever since.

Now after much procrastination, here they are. I have reduced them to 16 colour greyscale for the sake of smaller file sizes. Right click the images to download them.

rubbing 1

Posted Image

rubbing 2

Posted Image

rubbing 3

Posted Image

These rubbings were scanned at 100 dots per inch. If you print them out at 100 dpi, then they will be the same size as the originals. Each bitmap is cropped to the nearest 50 pixels beyond the edges of the original to make it easier to print off (50 pixels = 1/2 inch, so you don't have to calculate any tiny fractions of an inch.). The edges of the originals are not difficult to see. If you trim your printed versions down to match to the edges of the paper in the graphics, you will have copies of the rubbings identical to the ones TD5422 sent to me, with the exception that your's will be in greyscale, while the ones I have are in pink crayon.

Once trimmed, you can use these rubbings as templates for drilling the vent holes in the barrel shroud of your scratch built MG34.

The top of each rubbing points towards the end of the barrel. The bottom of each rubbing points towards the receiver.

<

In rubbing2.gif, the leftmost column of holes is the bottom centre. The rectangular hole cut in the rubbing on the left side is where a post projects down from the barrel shroud for the bipod to clip on to while folded down.

In rubbing3.gif, you will see another metal spring drawn on the rubbing. As with rubbing1.gif, this is the bottom centre.>>

Here is a little graphic showing where each rubbing comes from.

Posted Image

rubbings 1 and 2 confirm that the diameter of the barrel shroud for these sections is 40 millimetres (outer diameter), or approx. 1 9/16". The barrel shroud vent holes are 15 millimetres (9/16", just over half an inch).

Based on a measurement I took from my antiaircraft sight mount, I believe the diameter of the barrel shroud where rubbing 3 comes from is 45 millimetres (a little over 1 3/4"). Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Let us all thank Rob Slater (TD5422) for taking the time to make these rubbings. They make great templates, and provide us with a lot of useful information.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been reading and researching all of this website and the internet in general to find out anything i can about all the guns that are utilizied by standtroopers and this thread has really helped me out. i dont know if any of you have seen this thread before and if not i hope it helps any of those people who really want to see the MG34 in action, i found this:

http://www.tnwfirearms.com/guns_mg34.shtml

very interesting and maybe for someone looking for a working model or just something play around with as far as making a mold. i hope this helps.

that came out all wrong, sorry guys. the excitement got me so hyper i didnt proof read. what i meant to say is you guys have really been helping me out a lot. i avoided blundering by buying from starfortress. and you helped avoid a long waiting time with Hyerfirm. the knowledge here is very helpful and i just wanted to show you the above link as something i saw that maybe someone who has a gun license and would want to make a mold out of would be curious to take a look at.

I, for one, can't wait for you to be recruited, cause you'll be in my garrison! I'd love to see another REAL Sandy and not the posers who just own an orange pauldron. The MEPD is worth the work!

Based on a measurement I took from my antiaircraft sight mount, I believe the diameter of the barrel shroud where rubbing 3 comes from is 45 millimetres (a little over 1 3/4"). Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Yeah, I did a quick measurement of my HF & got 45mm as the diameter. Circumference was approx 5 3/8".

Whitecommando- your enthusiasm is great but please keep "PM me if interested" and "where can I buy XXXX?" type comments in the For Sale section.

My apologies. It will never happen again. Sorry Boingo.

Yeah, I did a quick measurement of my HF & got 45mm as the diameter. Circumference was approx 5 3/8".

Whitecommando- your enthusiasm is great but please keep "PM me if interested" and "where can I buy XXXX?" type comments in the For Sale section.

• 1 month later...

Whauw I've read the whole stuff about real- and the fake mg34s. For me is only 1 point important.

I want to troop with it!

So the heavier it gets, the least chance it will use it. But just a question overall. OK I got the C.shman site but are there more sites for fake MG34s? Just compairing them in prize would be a good plan.

Here is where you can order a de-milled MG... http://www.mg34.com/

You can order a Hyperfirm here... http://www.sci-fire.com/main.htm Ask for Nathan or Lewis.

PM me, I know a guy that makes resin weapons that are pretty nice. Mainly for display though since they can be fragile, but they still look very nice.

And the hollow Cushman can be ordered at... http://www.cushmanpaintball.com/replicamg34.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the new Version 2 option. I have owned one, it is very nice.

He is also coming out with a DLT-19 version of the MG-34... larger diameter barrel, cooling ribs, larger, totally accurate in appearance (but unfunctional) bipod. It will be a quick, turn-key DLT-19 for $75.00 plus shipping.

Whauw I've read the whole stuff about real- and the fake mg34s. For me is only 1 point important.

I want to troop with it!

So the heavier it gets, the least chance it will use it. But just a question overall. OK I got the C.shman site but are there more sites for fake MG34s? Just compairing them in prize would be a good plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all! I finally remembered my password and can finally post on here!

I've been trooping with an MR E-11, since I like the weight and realism vs plastic, but being a TD, I have been hunting down a good DLT-19. I obtained a Cushman like above and even picked up the replacement barrel shrouds for it, and it's still less than satisfactory.

I had even grabbed the .22 conversion kit but that was only so so.

What's a good retail price for a Hyperfirm DLT-19/MG-34? I've spotted one for decent price but don't want to overpay. What do you all think?

Oh yeah?

I'll tell you what else I think:

Okay, seriously, I deleted my comments because I thought the question Firefox asked, and the answer to it, should probably be in the For Sale forum, not here, so I PMd him the info instead of posting it. I didn't want to hijack this thread. But then you guys came along ...