SDS Lid Mods??

Sand_storm

Hey there Sand_storm, i felt exactly the same as you after receiving my Battle Spec. I was told by someone that ,alledgedly, Andrew doesn't actualy put the helmets together (at least not all of them) himself. he has a team of students ( ) that help out.

my lid had a massive dremel gouge in one of the eye sockets, luckily it hadnt been trimmed enough so i managed to get rid of most of it. also all the decals were wonky and bubbled and the tube stripes were already curling on the edges, the frown badly trimmed and the frown stickers looked awfull.

at the time i was so in awe of owning a helmet by Andrew (which was also replacing my FX lid) that i didn't really want to complain but i was certainly slightly shocked.

whatever you do to the lid in terms of cosmetic adjustment it won't effect the plastic or major components.

i ripped mine appart and stripped it, re-painted it, added a liner and replaced the lenses trimmed out the teeth and added mesh. it now looks and feels great (but not as good as my AP, which i obviously had control over from the start).

good luck buddy, and make it how it should have been done in the first place, with love and pride.

While the SDS comes "ready to wear", like the lid it needs much modification to fit well. AA used to offer a personal fitting when the armour first became available but i guess demand has stopped that.

The AP on the other hand is more than half the asking price but allows you the benefit of control from start to finish.

there's nothing worse than having to retro-fit your armour.

I'd go AP mate.

If you do decide to go the SDS route you should check out Jacks re-fit of the strapping system on this thread.

I too like the AP amrour. After all its effectively the GF Mark 3 so what's not to like?

I've not seen much TE stuff but have not been impressed with what I have. The painted stuff was not good and Ive seen some pretty bad warps in some of the newer stuff.

Anyone who buys armour from SDS is doing so because they want it from the "original maker" nothing else. The helmets are from the original moulds (except the battle spec) but the armours the same as everything else out there

Regarding construction, unless somethings changed recently then aa vac forms and makes everything himself, he doesnt employ anyone bar some students from the local art college who help with painting, but not manufacture or assembly. Anyone who lives in the UK can go and see him in Twickenham and see for themselves, he's a very open guy. Probably too open

Cheers

Jez

Regarding construction, unless somethings changed recently then aa vac forms and makes everything himself, he doesnt employ anyone bar some students from the local art college who help with painting, but not manufacture or assembly.

Wow. That makes the big mistakes mentioned even worse.