MG-15 buildup. (lots of pics)

Ok I figured rather than hi-jacking Tyranus's thread I should start my own.

Posted Image

(Pictures are on a non-standard internet port. If you can't see them try browsing from another location such as home. Most office internets will block access to these pictures)

My first part was to mold up the receiver secion:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

then I molded up the ammo drum section:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I had to build up the barrel mold which of course I forgot to document. I'll get some pictures of it and post them up here later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I started working on some castings:

Posted Image

and now I have gotten the final ingredients:

Posted Image

Here is the progress on the scopes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can you spot the casting?

Posted Image

I've got the mounts for both the single point and the sniper scope. I have now molded them up and started casting. I now just have to fabricate the film fabricated portion of the sniper scope and figure out what to do about the snooper scope.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First 99% complete one. I now can make all the needed parts. The front sniper scope mount is made from steel tube and a screw all welded together. Only thing that is missing is the braided steel line going from the night scope to the receiver section.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

to see all the pictures I have taken of these you can browse the full gallery here:

http://24.251.127.62:8088/gallery/mg-15

My goal is to make sure that I get enough of these out that there will be plenty of time to have them at C4. I do think the first run will come just prior to X-mas.

-Bill

Looks awesome! Any idea what you might sell the kits for?

One little thing, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the cocking lever was removed when the castings were made for the screen-used props.

Either way, yours looks great.

Yes, the cocking leaver was removed. It can rather easily be cut off. In fact without reinforcement they break off pretty easy.

They are made of a slightly flexable resin and hollow cast. They are very light weight and easy to carry.

-Bill

My plan is to put the first 3-5 up on ebay in order to get the most that I can with out asking. This is in hopes of recouping the, now several thousand dollars I have in this project. I think it will be somewhere's around $350 for a complete kit with everything needed and $400 for a completed painted and weathered version. There are just a lot more parts to this gun than any other I have made. After I get the first 10 sold I'll evaluate the process and see if I can do them for cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice quality either.

-Bill

Bill,

I have your proto-type Lewis Gun you made a while back, and it's still a favorite in my arsenal! I'm in for one of these too if/when you make them available! Are you using Task-15? I'm REALLY liking Smoothcast- 325, because it's TOUGH! Maybe give that a whirl for a few castings, you may like it better!

I've done some scopes in smooth cast 325 and while strong it is also brittle. I am useing a combination of feather light and smoothcast roto. Both are a little bit softer and more flexible. I also use a silica additive to add strength.

-Bill

That sounds like a pretty exotic blend you're using, I'm REALLY interested to see the end product!

Hmmmm.... I have outright, full on SLAMMED some of the parts I've cast into the concrete floor of my shop and all they did was bounce off. I'm so confident in my parts I'm supplying a 1yr. warranty against accidental breakage when I make them available.

Here's a scope I cast (on the bottom de-sprued, no paint), then heat cured like it was recommended and weeks later, I can still take it and slam it into the floor w/o breakage!

Posted Image

I have also tested these parts in similar fashion w/o mishap.

Posted Image

Anywho, GREAT work Bill, keep it up!!

I finished up the mold for the single point and cast up 5 of them for the first run of MG-15s. I now have all the parts except two. There is a custom mount for the night vision scope and an extremely rare mount for the sniper scope.

I am calling out for any help to find one of these. They sell between $200-300 on ebay but are very rare. It is known as Enfield, No.32, mkIII, and/or mkII, scope mount. The one pictured is a newer replica/reproduction while the one used on screen was an original WWII item. They are only very slightly different and either would work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks,

-Bill

I found a full WWII rifle that had the bracket on it at one of the gun auction sites but I don't really have $2500 to float. As cool as it would be to have the full rifle it just isn't quite $2500 cool.