How to get DIRTY

tk432

I used tempera in brown, black, yellow, and white. I mixed a little yellow with the brown to try and get more of a sand color. I also mixed white with black for some gray. In a couple areas I just used brown and black unmixed. I'm the trooper in the foreground on the photo. By the way, are any of you guys in this Celebration 3 photo with me?

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I've used the Krylon camoflage flat spray paints, tan and dark grey. I gave each armor piece a light, irregular dusting with the dark grey first. More on the ab piece, outer tops of arm and shoulder to simulate settled dust. Lot's more on the legs and boots. I masked the eye lenses with tape and gave the helmet a dusting, concentrating on the upper surfaces of those bulges running around the helmet on either side of the frown , the crown, and under the ridges around the eyes. after it dried I used 00 steel wool (very fine) to rub off the paint on any raised surfaces, and to even it all out a bit. This fine wool does not dull the plastic like sandpaper, it actually buffs it.Then I went back over it all with a random layer of the Tan flat spray paint accenting and toning the darker paint already applied. I added a few dirt smears using acrylic paint (what ever color you thnk works, Umber gives a deep earth tone), applied by dabbing with a natural sponge. Then go back over the whole thing again with the 00 steel wool. Step back from each piece , set them together and you'll get a feel for how it's coming together. If you don't like a part you can buff off the paint with the steel wool and redo it easily. I may be at an advantage , living in New Mexico since I see dust on everything, and can replicate that look.

Also the fine steel wool let's you clean up any unwanted spots and marks your armor gets when trooping. then get out the spray paint and touch it up.

I just got a digital camera ,so I'll take some shots and post them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...