How to get DIRTY

tk432

I used black and brown tempera paints applied with a fan-brush, rags and a little water. It's not permanent, but I was able to re-apply as needed until it looked right. Although I will constantly have to be touching up the dirt this way.

Make sure you use a rough rag with the paint.. I used one rag to actuallyu put the paint ON... patting it on so that it "pulled" and gave it texture.. then I used the other rag and went through cleaning off the excess, and "roughing it up" a little more.. Make sure you use at LEAST 3 different shades of tan/brown.. Once color gives it a "blah" color scheme.. Also, alternate the colors. Use one color as your first in one area, then use a darker shade as your first color in the area next to it.. It shades in well that way, gives it depth and adds to the worn and weathered look.

We DO have a few guys who are working on tutorials as we speak!! Hopefully we will have new, updated ones available soon...

There ARE "older" ones (tutorials) out there.. problem with them is that some (not ALL) are dealing with "older" paints and dont have all the new types of paints and so on out there listed.

Keep posted! If someone doesnt have a new tutorial by the end of the month, I will go ahead and wash MY armor clean and "redo" it.. And Ill do a tutorial then...

I did the same as some of the previous Troopers. I used 3 different colored tempera paints applied with a Sea Sponge. I waited for it to almost dry, then I took some crumpled up paper and scratched off in a sporadic motion...the effect turned out awesome!

I got the paint kit from Woodland today. Should be fun. I alread played with it on a spare piece of plastic i got with my armor kit.

Yea im getting dirty

Wooooot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Josh!!!!

If i dont end up working on friday(some one quite at work, but that mean more money, more money equals mor mods )

Ill go dirty then. Better go make sure my sholder bells are still holding up, so i can get pics up asap.

next project, the darn back pack.

I got the paint kit from Woodland today. Should be fun. I alread played with it on a spare piece of plastic i got with my armor kit.

Yea im getting dirty

Way To go! I too, think tempura is the way to go, you can put it on real thick for crud splashes and its derived from clay(dirt!) I'd advise putting it on real heavy and patting off excess until it looks the way you want it to.

im fixing my armor today (putting new straps on teh bells and new exlastic witch a bucket on the upper legs).

after that (tonight) ill get dirty. from what i tested the temperal paint on, i already like the way temperal works... it letteraly turns in to dirt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually used a rust-oleum spray paint available at your local ace hardware, they now make a textured spray. it comes in several different colors. upside being, that when dry it's textured. it's easy to work with, dries quickly. all you have to do is spray it on, and then work it with a rag while it's tacky, and outline your high points w. some 220 grit sandpaper. I underlined that witha custom blend color made up of some testors paints and ragged on. it's waterproof, and very easy to touch-up. pictures can be found in the gallery in my td-ts-4136 folder.

• 9 months later...

Question about Tempura paints:

Where did you get your paints, & what colors did you grab? I went to the local Michael's(arts & crafts), but they only had general, primary colors. i.e. Black, brown, orange, yellow, white, .... Did you achieve the different browns just by mixing colors together or did you find specific colors someplace else?

I fooled around a bit on some spare abs with the black & brown, and while the texturing is nice the colors seems too bright.

Yeah I actually used that tutorial with the paints I bought, but was unhappy with the resulting colors. Are those paints removable like the tempera paints? i.e. do they wash off if I need to fix it?