459 Field Pack

TK-459

I wanted to start posting a few pics of my pack in progress. I've been collecting and building parts for a while now, and its really starting to come together. I'll update as I finish it.

I'm using the alternate upper tank. For this, I found a conditioner bottle by Tre Semme. I cut a bit off the bottom and attached a piece of sintra. Still need to work on the cap area.

Posted Image

I built the upper box out of some scrap styrene.

Posted Image

The upper filter box is made from two PSP boxes and a layer of sintra on the face. I cut the inner edges with a razor, glued all the layers together, filled the gaps with epoxy and bondo, then finish sanded. I then took a section of a Fram air filter and seperated the folds a bit to spread it out with less peaks.

Posted Image

I found my frame at a yard sale. The frame had many of the shapes I was looking for, but did need a lot of modification. I cut off a section from one side, shortened an area where two parts join, put in the needed bends, and cut out about 1 inch from the width (reconnected with wooden dowels and JB Stick Weld). Most of the bends crumpled up when I tried to do them, so I repaired them with JB Stick Weld and sanding.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bolted in Seth's boxes so that just a bit of the boxes past the frame, and also bolted them together at the middle so that the boxes hold as one unit. I them put strips of foam weatherstripping between the raised areas on the bottom to keep the pack from scratching against the armor a bit. Still have to paint the bolts and add parts, but at this point these are test fits.

Posted Image

It's always difficult to film the colors, but for the blue sections I used Kilz Satin Supernal Blue as a base and Kilz Satin Calling Bird over most of it. Combined, it gives a painted weathering that I can't really capture with this camera.

Posted Image

Here you can see the finished filter.

Posted Image

I let some of my parts hang off the main boxes a bit. Radio Box details here.

Posted Image

More to come.

A few in-progress updates.

Tank Dish

Posted Image

Vac adapter

Posted Image

Still needs the larger coin shape on the lid

Posted Image

Finished Stinger. I vacformed the taper piece that fits on the bottom.

Posted Image

So far...Gotta finish a cap for the manifold among other things. I think I'm gonna trim the stinger a bit more too.

Posted Image

More updates! I love working on this pack. I cut the top half of the PVC connecting the tubes for the manifold and then epoxied the flat surface to the cap. I had to vac the cap which came out decent. I also vacced over the desert cup to size it up a tad and get rid of the texture.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost there...

• 2 weeks later...

Al....most...finished. Just a few details to go.

I'm going to have to replace my mortor tube with one of the ice tubes you guys are using. I tried to section a plastic flourescent tube around a 2" steel pipe by overlapping two pieces, but a few hours after removing the pipe and just as I finished assembling everything I started to notice stress fractures in the thin plastic. Oh well. I decided to put the top cap on the mortor tube to keep things out of there. I also have to get the straps on this thing and see how it feels.

I feel really good about how the pack came out. I'll really celebrate once I can actually put it on my back.

Thanks again for all the great resources here. The gallery and info really helped out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image