New Scratch-built Binoc Tutorial

As I get to work on the final parts on my backpack, and near completion of the first plateau of my evolution as a sandtrooper, I wanted to thank the community here for all the help. Everyone here has been very supportive, helpful, and eager to contribute. It's impressive. So to say thanks, there's this:

http://www.freakengine.com/sbvbinoctutorial01.htm

It's a step by step tutorial I put together on making your own electrobinoculars from household items and craft store supplies. It's not screen-accurate, but then again, neither are the Radica versions. I think this one is closer than the Radicas, even though they look great in their own way too. I could have sculpted a screen-accurate copy, but preferred to make a reasonable facsimile that anyone with a little time and 20 bucks could assemble.

Let me know what you think. If anyone knows of a better item to use as the base, please send me the info. If you choose to try it, please send me pics when you're done.

Thanks again, troopers!!!

That is one **** of a tutorial! I think you did an outstanding job with that, and it's amazing you did it all using simple household items instead of relying on one of the Radica games. If I find the time to do it I'm going to give it a try. Again, great job and kudos to you!

• 2 months later...

Great tutorial. I love to see people building things, no matter how screen-accurate it is, as opposed to just throwing money at the project and buying something.

I started a project just like this years ago, but have never finished it. For the base, I used a dollar store container, too, but it didn't have a handle on it, and looks a bit more oval-shaped. Great choice on yours, though.

I almost never use my binoculars (Radica). They just hang on my belt, if anything. That's probably why I never finished - no real need. I'd rather spend my building time, building big blasters!!

Thanks, guys. I'm still looking for a more appropriately shaped base, so if you're out shopping and happen to see something better, please please please let me know. I may resort to forming the base for the next one out of sintra to get the exact shape and dimensions, but for the tutorial I want to stick to easily obtainable parts.

Thanks again for the kind words everybody. Wow, this thread got resurrected big time!

Tom we are practically neighbors! I'm up in Palmdale.

Hey, that's cool. Maybe we'll meet on a troop sometime. That'd be cool.

I've been in Palmdale a lot recently, as I'm working on the Pirates 3 shoot up there. Man, it's been cold in the early mornings! (for California anyway)

Because of this great tutorial, I am gonna dig out all my old parts, and finish building my more-correct binoculars. Screw the tank game! Even if I never carry these around, they'll look better than what I have.

Thanks for firing up my inspiration on these again. It's been a long time.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...