New guy question

Hi i'm converting my TK to TD and had a few questions. I was wondering do the sand troopers have drop boxes? I see pictures with them on and off. Also the hand armor will that be a requirement in the future. I see people selling them but in the movie I see some of them with the reg TK hand armor on as well. If you can help me thanks

Craig

TK-3522

I seem to recall reading somewhere around here or the Yahoo boards that either style of handback is okay because both show up on the sandtroopers.

The drop box question is a good one...there are numerous screen shots showing no drop box, but then there are also some that do show the drop boxes. That's not an issue we've taken up around here.

I seem to recall reading somewhere around here or the Yahoo boards that either style of handback is okay because both show up on the sandtroopers.

The drop box question is a good one...there are numerous screen shots showing no drop box, but then there are also some that do show the drop boxes. That's not an issue we've taken up around here.

I finally took mine off. Pesky little things, too.

The drop boxes weren't used in the original movie - it was in the added scenes for the special edition, that you'll see them on the sandies. I believe either way is fine for the MEPD.

They also used several different styles of handback in the original film. From what I understand, any of them are acceptable to use as well.

I think a drop box poll would be worthwhile, but it brings up a more broad question, should we make it official one way or another that the TD's added in the special edition are not (or are) recognized by the MEPD as canon? Seeing as the SE armor used in the add-in shots is just a cleaned up ROTJ with incorrect knees and abs, I would say no, but I think we should clear this up as a detachment.

I vote keep em. who cares where the parts came from. it was on screen, and it's just another variation. I kept my drop boxes, and had cut my black pauldron down (since the expanded edition troopers pauldrons are alot shorter) for a while before changind over to original ANH style. Why narrow our options? keep it diverse and fun w.out getting too anal.

This is an example of why I think we should vote on it as a detachment (whether to count the add-in troopers as canon sandtroopers) . The argument that it is seen on-screen is correct, however this is on the SE troopers who also have tk knees, abs, and clam-shell handbacks. So by that same logic the knee-plate and ab plate requirement would be void. If the original un-special sandtroopers are the sole point of reference, then we should stick to that for official membership in the MEPD since the idea is to be a canon detachment. If the SE trooper is acceptable as well, then we might as well trash the knee plate requirement. Does that make sense? Am I going overboard? Maybe I am being anal, I don't think anyone should be forced to part with their drop-boxes, nor do I think anyone should have to give up any part of their costume that they don't want to. I do think it should come to a vote though to gauge opinion in the group to determine democratically whether or not this should be on the list of "required" mods. Based on the outcome, our command staff could choose to add it or leave it off (or declare me insane for typing such a long-winded post). I am going to start two polls, vote on them if you like. Even if the results don't bring about any official rules, they will show current opinions on the subjects.

Peace.

I think the intended purpose of the MPED was to emphasise the canon sandtrooper we all know from ANH.. now that we have this CGI buisness creating technical variations in what is seen on screen , we have a delima..

Do we stay with the orginal representation, or do we back off the details as long as it was on screen in some fashion, we'll take it?

If you prefer the later,, then you have to be content with having sandtropers with no pauldrons too as there was one on screen for a blip in ANH... so to be technical about the SE troopers, then you have to be just as technical for no pauldrons, which we all agree was probably an imprvisation on the costume at the time of the filming...

See being nick-picky just becasue a costume variation was on screen, doesn't mean we should try to capture all of those in the detachment theme in my opinion...

So a poll on the subject is fine to gauge opinions, but it seems to open more questions than answers...

-Joey

TD-152

The main point of the polls is to satisfy my own curiosity about everyones opinions. Every so often someone sites a SE trooper to challenge the knee plate and ab plate requirements, then someone counters, then it is sort of left off. I just wonder what the previaling sentiment is. It's as plain as this, if it's on screen it's canon. Duh. BUT, in this situation you have a change made to a movie, and you then have a variant. What I don't think is clear to most is whether we consider the original cut trooper to be our basis, or the SE trooper, or both (or a little bit of both). Also, as a lesson to everyone, the troops in the original cut without backpacks both got shot in docking bay 94. Moral of the story: always wear your backpack. As an aside, I don't think its being nit-picky. Why is one thing a requirement (knee plate), and another thing overlooked (no drop boxes)? I don't seek to change the rules or **** anyone off, I just like discussing the details.

Don't take me wrong, I agree with the need for the discussion, ( you never know until you ask) I was just trying to clarify what the MEPD stance was on Deployed status right now, we certainly can change and adapt as the group wants it , but as far as any specific variation of the costume, now that these latest films have been edited so much, I personally think its really just a matter of choice for the costume builder. Anything that meets the Legion TD requirements is enough to get you membership in the MEPD, so all these variations in the SE and New Trilogy editions are OK. The only thing we have here different is the deployed status of troopers representing the OT- ANH sandtroopers common uniforms as what we decided upon when rebuilding the detachment. We all seemd to agree on it as a compromise between the Various TD troopers, and the OT-ANH proponents... This way we keep all TD's in the Detachment regardless of variation...

-Bamatrooper

TD-152

I don't intend to come off over-zealous (sorry if I did). The little things like drop boxes, don't neccesarily warrent a requirement change, just recognition. With such thin numbers we don't need to exclude anyone on a technicality, huh? Maybe the small stuff could be on some sort of official/unofficial variant list?

• 3 months later...

I don't intend to come off over-zealous (sorry if I did). The little things like drop boxes, don't neccesarily warrent a requirement change, just recognition. With such thin numbers we don't need to exclude anyone on a technicality, huh? Maybe the small stuff could be on some sort of official/unofficial variant list?

You have a good point. If pepole that liked the brop boxes or the ab plate ect.. dident whant to give them up but still wanted to be in the MEPD why souldent they be alpowed to keep them? references in the movies show some of the sandtroopers without the knee plates ab plates and theres even one without a paulderon.

Sorry guys, I hadn't seen this post before....

If you dont know me, I was the Detachment Leader before Bamatrooper. It was myself, Bama and TD0013 that "brought back" the MEPD and basically I am to blame for the DEPLOYED and POLICE RECRUIT status (EVIL GRIN HERE HEHHEHE) So I know what kind of "pain" you all are going through trying to figure this out.. So let me guide you young ANTI padawon sandtrooper......

When we started this (after the detachment leader and command staff who had it let it DIE on the vine) I decided, with Bamas and TD0013's support that we would have 2 designations. 1st, which EVERYONE is at is the DEPLOYABLE or Police Recruit level. This means that you have started the long walk to becoming a true sandtrooper, one who is as 100% screen accurate (and having that certain 'grungy attitude'!) as is possible. This is you starting to get a BFG, a pack (we okayed the oilpan ones as it is VERY hard to get the pans without breaking the bank to build a more accurate one at this time), flat lenses, ammo pouches, sniper kneeplate, handbacks (optional) and a ab plate (also optionable at this time due to the rarity of them). This also included the MOST important feature....DIRT!!! You could have ALL the stuff, but NOT be dirty and that WOULD prevent you from being considered DEPLOYED.

2. DEPLOYED status.. You have gone ALL the way, gotten ALL the extras and DIRTIED up the armor. This ALSO means that you have gotten ALL the mods done.. That would include removing the drop boxes, the old kneeplate (and replaced it with a new diamond one), the bubble lenses (replacing them with the flat lenses) and hopefully the Abplate (IF you were able to find someone who was making them).

See, part of what we ARE here in the MEPD is that we are the 100% trooper. Yes, we are the dirty, nasty, call them in when all else fails people of the Legion... BUT we ALSO are the ones who CARE about accuracy... See, ANYBODY can be a Sandtrooper according to the LEGIONS description.. Thats WHY we are DIFFERENT!!! We, being a Detachment of the Legion, cannot LOWER the standards set forth by the Legion........ BU we CAN make it something stricter and set our fudge zone to a tighter degree.. I know when I joined up, the ythought process was the 10 foot rule... If your armor looked good at 10 feet away, that was good enough. Well, most of us automatically said that wasnt good enough and went to a 5 foot rule. At the MAX!

What we here at the MEPD have done is taken the 10 AND the 5 foot rule and changed it. We have made it a NO foot rule!

Not to brag, but that is what makes us the BEST around! Sure.. We DO somethings that are NOT cannon whne we are at our LOCAL. non- "Official" troops like wear our patches on our pauldrons. But other than that, and maybe some kill stickers on the helmets (which I have seen and truthfully look AWESOME!) we are 'THERE'! In fact, here is MY pic.. Yep, I DO have the patches showing both my garrison and the MEPD.. But other than that, I am as accurate as I possibly can get with what is available (this is an older pic in which I dont have the new ABplate, I have than on now) I will get more pics done this weekend and will update it.. (Im the one with the orange pauldron, the SHORT one!! heheh)

See, I have a different take on the original question altogether. For me, screen accuracy can't be solely the generalized version.

What about the following combo?

- dirty armor, pauldron, BFG (no pack and no shoulder pouches)

This was seen on screen in the docking bay encounter. Both packless troopers went without the packs since they were marked to die by the director and didn't want to take a tumble with full packs on. That aside, this combo is still screen accurate for ANH.

Just seems the "essentials" for accuracy don't account for the legitimate exceptions.

I think it's okay to troop in any screen used config, or any you wanna make up. (on saturday at C3 I skipped the backpack because of the crowds & the fact it cuts down on the time I can comfortably spend in armor) BUT, you should be able to be "fully equipped" for MEPD membership. (if you meet all requirements, you could theoretically mimick any of the combos you mentioned). The requirements, which are fairly forgiving, are set to seperate us from the rank & file. Without commitment (dirt) and effort (backpack, BFG) there would be no point in having a detachment.