Octoarm Backpack #3 build

Octoarm

2 hours ago, Hausi said:

It looks great, very well done. I really appreciate the effort and work you have put into this and it has definitely payed off. Gorgeous pack. :duim:

Thanks @hausi Your build threads and Backpack #3 thread have been extremely helpful.

• Like 1

Hello all! I’m making some adjustments to my canteen attachment. I made some sturdy aluminum brackets to hang my canteen from now so it isn’t relying on the seed tray edge. The brackets are screwed into the crossbar on the back of the seed tray. Then I fabricated two little brackets for the outside of the seed tray which I will attach two bars that will be attached to the canteen. The reason for the extra bracket on the outside is to account for the angle of the backpack so the bars attached to the canteen will be able to hang down straight. I’ll share more pics when I get to that point.

iHTfP4w.jpg

So here are the bars that I used for attaching the canteen.

wE9UAUf.jpg

I took an idea from @Hausi playbook, by putting a threaded rod through the canteen and then bolting it on at the ends. It took a lot of work and fabrication but I’m very happy with this much more secure attachment.

YbMsQY6.jpg

Ok now I’m done. It still needs some weathering, but I’ll do that when I finish my armor. So this build took me a little over a month to put together. That’s from having no parts to a completed pack!  The parts and pieces are out there. It’s just a treasure hunt searching for them.  Then a lot of elbow grease :yes:

XRkOVPJ.jpg

8usnBJB.jpg

a5WkhCQ.jpg

eDPX4Bf.jpg

• Like 1

Great work mate! :duim:

Those brackets for the canteen are some heavy duty stuff, nice idea to reinforce them from behind the tray's wall. 

Glad that my idea was helpful for you but I guess I'm not the first one who has done it this way, just the firstone to post it. :lol:

Thanks for making such a highly detailed build thread, this is going to be helpful for future troopers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4Runner said:

Great looking pack! Have you weighed it yet? Just curious since mine is a real lunker at 12lbs 7 ounces, but it'll take a beating...! :-)

Thanks! You’ve got a great looking pack too! Mine weighs in at 9.8 lbs.

1 minute ago, Octoarm said:

Thanks! You’ve got a great looking pack too! Mine weighs in at 9.8 lbs.

Roger that! I have a friend who built one as well, using lots of aluminum brackets, and his is nearly indestructible; however, it's almost 20 pounds!

I'm curious to see how long I can troop while wearing it. A few buddies have only lasted an hour, and their packs are like yours, less than 10 pounds. I'm almost thinking I might need some gym training for this, ha ha!  Good luck with the rest of your build. Mike at Trooperbay is a very nice guy. I've given him a lot of my money, LOL!

• Like 1

A little Side X Side for  Saturday.  I might try and make my bottles flatter on the bottoms. I’ll post pics if I do. I also didn’t drop the bottom seed tray down like how it was falling apart in the movie. I figured mine didn’t need to be falling apart, lol. I put it on my old stormtrooper armor on a mannequin for this pic.

K5CvTyx.jpg 

• Like 1

So I decided to flatten the bottoms of my bottles. I think it worked! I am using 2 Nalgene bottles the are the perfect width but the bottoms are a little too curved. So I cut the bottoms off and glued a piece of styrene to the bottom.  It’s raining out so I can’t finish painting them yet. I still need to fill a few minor gaps and then do some finish sanding. I can’t wait to see what they will look like on! Im so glad I went with the zip tie method so that I’m able to open up my seed trays to do these kind of adjustments.

KgsbM3A.jpg

I managed to acquire a Lion Star Hunter 600 canteen through eBay. Seems like even these are becoming harder to come by.  It’s interesting seeing the differences between this and the different GIOStyle canteen that I originally found.  

0K5pmul.jpg

• Like 1

For me the exhaust port housing is definitely rounded, have a look at the shadow on the top bottle and compare, look how it is with yours.

That said great build if I can get 5 minutes to myself will crack on with mine.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 1:48 AM, Marv said:

For me the exhaust port housing is definitely rounded, have a look at the shadow on the top bottle and compare, look how it is with yours.

That said great build if I can get 5 minutes to myself will crack on with mine.

You could very well be right! Maybe something to change in the future.  Good luck with your build!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bigwam said:

Great, i like the weathering style

I prefer the more natural look also. I’m using fullers earth, sand paper and aqua net sealer. I don’t want to look like I crawled out of the sewer, lol. Weathering is definitely tricky. Very easy to over do. I’m using a 220 grit sanding sponge to pull back my weathering. 

• Like 1