Octoarm Backpack #3 build

Octoarm

I decided to make a couple modifications to the @henselmonster 3D printed exhaust port. I wanted the brackets to line up on the seed trays ribbed areas. So I moved the top brackets up. I cut them off carefully with a coping saw, needless to say I had some repair to do. The next thing I wanted to change was the top. It felt a bit long.  So I cut about a half an inch off of that. Much more satisfied with the look of it now.

Xt9EyLW.jpg
pcAdqoW.jpg

I’m planning on doing the seamless seed tray attachment using 14” zip ties. But first I needed a way to support and keep my seed trays together so they won’t fall into each other. The edges of the seed trays I’m using don’t have a flat area. I had some insulation foam board on hand and I made an interior frame. I hot glued it together but not to the trays so I can always remove it. A simple lightweight support piece for the trays!

weLLFsl.jpg

I am not so sure whether that's a good idea and if it will be strong enough with the zip ties as they will have to support all items attached to the upper trays too. I just used coverstrips glued to the inside to connect the trays. 

On one Backpack, I made a frame similar to yours. Unfortunately made of metal, therefore quite heavy. But there I also attached screws in hidden places to give it additional support. With my last pack I did it like Hausi with cover stripes.

pgavp9vx.jpg

2 hours ago, Hausi said:

I am not so sure whether that's a good idea and if it will be strong enough with the zip ties as they will have to support all items attached to the upper trays too. I just used coverstrips glued to the inside to connect the trays. 

I see your point. I’ll probably have to rethink this and go with your cover strip suggestion. Thanks for the feedback @Hausi

2 hours ago, bigwam said:
On one Backpack, I made a frame similar to yours. Unfortunately made of metal, therefore quite heavy. But there I also attached screws in hidden places to give it additional support. With my last pack I did it like Hausi with cover stripes.

pgavp9vx.jpg

I see your point. I probably will need to switch to the interior cover strips. Thanks for the diagram @bigwam 

I used normal ABS sheets and bent them at an angle. I first glued the stripes to the lower tray and pressed them with clamps until they were dry. I glued magnets (blue) on the inside of the upper tray, which were left over from the construction. Then the strip is smeared with glue, placed on it and fixed from the outside with magnets so that it is properly pressed together.

On all four sides, of course

m3nzk3e3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I dyed my pack straps and added the red fabric back supports that I put together. I’ll probably have to spray paint the straps black to get them a little darker. It feels like the closer I get to finishing more steps keep developing!

JA0jICN.jpg
S359286.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigwam said:

I used normal ABS sheets and bent them at an angle. I first glued the stripes to the lower tray and pressed them with clamps until they were dry. I glued magnets (blue) on the inside of the upper tray, which were left over from the construction. Then the strip is smeared with glue, placed on it and fixed from the outside with magnets so that it is properly pressed together.

On all four sides, of course

m3nzk3e3.jpg

Thanks for the detailed info! I see how you did that now. Much appreciated @bigwam

I threw caution to the wind and wanted to try what I was attempting. I do appreciate all the feedback and definitely took it all into consideration. My rigid foam frame gets sandwiched between both seed trays just allowing the trays to touch at the edges. I used 4 D-ring hangers on the inside of the top tray.  1 on each of the brexton box bolts (2 total), 1 on the bottom bolt of the exhaust port and 1 that I had to glue in because there was not a bolt where I wanted it. I drilled holes through the back of the bottom seed tray on either side of my rack cross bars. Then I strung a 14” zip tie ( I added another because I needed a little more length) through one hole in the back passing through the D-ring hanger and then back out the other hole where I connected it around the crossbar. I did this on all 4  corners and then slowly tightened them all down making sure the seed trays stayed lined up. It worked perfectly. I swear you could probably stand on it! It’s solid and lightweight. Plus you can take the whole thing apart by just snipping the zip ties. I got the long zip tie idea from an old@pandatrooper post. Unfortunately the photos aren’t available but his write up explains it. 

eesNbyr.jpg

Inside top tray - D-ring bracket placement

i2XnJyV.jpg

Inside bottom tray - Long zip tie holes

c6rsUDF.jpg

TJOOdtB.jpg

• Like 1

I know the thread from Pandatrooper. But I never dared to do it that way. I always thought it wasn't stable enough. But it looks very stable here. I am curious how it will last for a long time. Most of all, it's a "light" solution. The lighter the pack, the better ...

• Upvote 1

I made some galaxy far far away capacitors from some things I had lying around. 1/2” pvc, hot glue, tin foil and a thin styrene modeling pipe. I cut the pvc into five 2” pieces. Stuffed the middle with tin foil so I wouldn’t waste a bunch of hot glue and save on any unnecessary weight. Filled them to the top on one side and filled them just below the edge on the other side. Drilled a hole in the full side and super glued in my piece of styrene pipe. I sanded the edges down to smooth them. 

wqABcsb.jpg

• Like 1

I clipped the capacitors stems a little shorter, spray painted, and made a base. After that I decided I didn’t want to glue the base to the seed tray so I added a hidden bolt so I could remove it if I wanted. Another step done! So many steps!

AQb3EWv.jpg

Hyfa2XO.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1