Octoarm Backpack #3 build

Octoarm

Hello all, I’ve been a member of the 501st for the past 5 years. I’m TK19513 and proud to hold #213 Centurion status. I only have the one TK armor and I’m excited to start the TD. While I’m waiting on my armor kit I’ve decided to start with the backpack build. I’ve been scouring these forums and have been thoroughly impressed with all the amazing builds. I’ll try to post throughout my Backpack #3 adventure with hopes of getting as much feedback as possible. So let’s get into it!
I purchased this different kind of Gio Style canteen on eBay. I’ve never seen this version before.  It seems to have the same shape as the original Gio canteen. I’ve been sanding it down and adding Bondo in areas due to all the raised ridges. I spray painted it a basic grey so I could easily see areas I still need to Bondo and sand. It doesn’t have the channel down the sides for the strap. Would this work for my backpack #3 build?

KfskbMX.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigwam said:

A lot of work, wow.

Yes i think it is ok for your Pack!

Thanks for the feedback @bigwam Yes lots of sanding! Glad to hear that it will be worth it. Feels like I’m building it from scratch, lol

I had previously glued into the mouth of the canteen a couple layers of ABS plastic sheet that I cut into circles that fit into the opening.  I then drilled a hole and glued in a piece of PVC pipe.  Finished my first part for Backpack #3! I know it's not a perfect match of canteen style that was used, but it was the closets thing I could find. You definitely learn a lot about these packs by simply searching for the parts.

J5c8N5U.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OnkelPaschulke said:

Well hello there! You‘re really putting a lot of afford into your pack. I like it. the grey is looking a little bit to shiny in my opinion. Maybe because the color was fresh?!

Hello @OnkelPaschulke ! Nice to meet you and thank you. You are correct. It is waaaay too shiny and it was freshly painted. I’m planning on assembling all the parts and pieces first then knocking back the shine and weathering everything together. That’s the plan at least, lol

This RWA Creations Shires Syphon kit is amazing! All the details are there. The piping that comes with the kit really helps keep the entire thing more rigid. I decided to cut a small piece off of the white pipe and added it to the threaded area so that part would be solid too. This kit takes some time lining everything up, glueing, and sanding but completely worth it. As thin as the vacuum form seems, once together it feels like a real piece of pvc plumbing. Another hard to find part finished, phew!

UlOC53e.jpg

Great! Glad to hear that I’ve made a good choice on this. Ross is really friendly and responded to me right away. 
I placed an order for a Sandie Comm radio yesterday. Looking forward to working on that kit.

Hey mate, seems you have made the right choice as far as parts are concerned. That Gio'style is unique, I've never seen one like that before, really cool and you have done a great job modifying it. 

Ross is such a great guy and always helpful and while the assembly of these syphons may be a little fiddly, they are light and strong and yours looks nice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hausi said:

Hey mate, seems you have made the right choice as far as parts are concerned. That Gio'style is unique, I've never seen one like that before, really cool and you have done a great job modifying it. 

Ross is such a great guy and always helpful and while the assembly of these syphons may be a little fiddly, they are light and strong and yours looks nice. 

Thanks for your response @Hausi ! Nice to meet you. Your right that canteen does seem extremely unique. I debated on purchasing it for a couple of weeks but I’m happy I eventually did. I appreciate you letting me know that the steps I’ve taken so far seem to be on target.

So I have a question about the Shires syphon. It looks like there is 2 different kinds. UP90 and a UP100. If I’m building Pack #3 do I need to shorten the RWA Creations UP100 to be more accurate? I’ve noticed some troopers haven’t bothered with it. I guess I would prefer to not have to do that.

11 hours ago, bigwam said:

For Pack #3, you need the UP90. So you have to shorten the Syphon by an inch. The RWA Syphon is a replica of an UP100.

Thanks for that confirmation @bigwam I’ll give it a go! 

• Upvote 1

Found some time this morning to glue the Shires replica back together and did some initial sanding to smooth out the seam. I want to hide the seam as much as possible so I added a layer of bondo over the seam. Then I’ll sand it smooth. I  trimmed up my RWA Creations Brexton box. I also got  @henselmonster exhaust port 3D printed in abs plastic and started sanding it too. So many details in these packs!

IIsTWHC.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so now I have a Shires UP90 :sweat:  That was a lot of work! I guess I’m still not done with it! I’ll need to figure out the system of attaching the plumbers cup and bottle. I’ve got an order of RWA Creations seed trays and plumber cups on the way. I need to look for bottles too

hSCJ1Qk.jpg

I went to Lowe’s today and found the mortar tube I needed!  The end caps and control panel from TrooperBay fit perfectly (they still need to be trimmed properly). Printed on the side of the tubing it says that it’s 2”. The actual diameter measurement is 2 3/8” from outside edges. This black tubing is really lightweight compared to PVC tubing . I also made a purchase on eBay today for a Tupperware pitcher with lid. It’s supposed to be model 874 so I hope it’s the right one.

TG7ZCR8.jpg

Here is all the pieces I have so far. The treasure hunt continues...

6lrubGb.jpg