Bapty Build - 3D Printed Version

Hi folks,

after finishing some other side projects around my house it's time for another SW related project. Since you're no "real" sandtrooper if you don't have a bapty, I decided to build one. At the end of last year I earned some experience with smoothing out the printlines of 3D printed parts with liquid resin. So I want to gowith a 3D printed Bapty version made by 3d props NL. I've ordered a diy kit but due the pandemic everything took much longer. Last week was BBD and I was confused why the box so big because I expected it to be much smaller. And the reason was that it almost came completely assambled.

foto14.04.21184857ehk0b.jpg

I disassambled the blaster today to seperate all the parts because smoothing out is much easier. The whole blaster is a mixture of 3D printed parts aligned arround an aluminum pipe and some parts which were casted in resin. I'll definately want to exchange some parts like the scope rail and the trigger guard with metal parts but first there will be a lot of filling and sanding.

parts54jw8.jpg

There are some real good WIP in the forum and Originalprop is a good resource. I'll keep you guys updated!

Cheers
Arne

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I made some progress with the build. I focused on the main body parts. First I used different types of sandpaper to get rid of the biggest printing lines. After that I used wood putty for the main parts to fill the seams. And after drying I gave it another run with the sandpaper. The result is still a little rough so the next step was to use liquid UV resin on the parts. This should fill the last seams and adds a little bit More stability to the parts. Well it‘s not really necessary but still a nice additional effect. I promise to take better pictures during the build! :-D

26ab87b48e41d3182fbf966544f19eb8.jpg

fc13e307575ee8b72df7c9eb72e4584a.jpg

a3666f50122144a40f08221bca17007b.jpg

76bae1615d4895e8aea97018ce56045d.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Interesting. I'm not the biggest Fan of 3d printing. I've seen many bad ones, but i like your very much. I'm looking forward to see more pictures.

Hey Arne, very cool that you have started building a Bapty, greatest blaster of them all.:peace:

Was this printed in black PLA? If so, I would suggest filling the "heavy" print lines with black ABS Sludge (I have had good results with this approach) and then use black automotive spray putty, that way it will just be uniformly black and even if you bump into something and the paint chips off, it will not be as noticeable. 

Way to go mate! 

• Like 1

Thanks mates... Yeah 3D prints are pretty tough... My Mando Blaster was much easier than this one. I got some additional tips by a member of my squad and I bought another spray filler for the minor printlines. Using liquid resin is kind of messy... But on the weekend it's time for sanding and some more sanding. I'll post some updates one the weekend.  I think it's printed in PLA and the black automotive spray is a good idea.

Ok, the weather was nice today and I spent some time spray filling, UV curing and sanding... Some details need some more attention but i'm kind of satisfied with the result in general. The main print lines are gone and now it's time for the small files :dancing-trooper:

foto09.05.21162200fsjxs.jpg foto09.05.21210846tmkey.jpg foto09.05.21211040vpkvc.jpg foto09.05.212111106mk8a.jpg

More to come next weekend :salute:

I‘m thinking about it. I don‘t know if l‘m able to do it this accurate since I don‘t have a working bench with screw clamps to fix it properly. With the ABS it would work but with the aluminum pipe... this could end badly, but I might find a solution.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hey mate cool stuff so far, looking forward to see the finish product !:peace:

I personally thought, that 3d props NL would offer a much better print quaility .. Much work for you ..

Have you also seen the free to use STL Files from trooper96 on thingiverse? Already printed some parts and must say, that these are pretty accurate.

Yes, the print lines are pretty tough but it's ok. I guess it's also because of corona and that he is behind the scedule with the shippings and therefore he needs to finish things faster. Maybe... :-D

I saw the files and I'm thinking about printing the magazin slot with this files and add it to my build because it's much more detailed. I just bought myself a Creality Ender 3 V2 (Hope it arrives tomorrow) but this printer is not able to print those fine details. So I'll print a dummy to get the dimensions right and than I'll let the part been printed via shapeways with fine detail plastic. It'll cost about 30€ which is ok. My father in law has a bench drill so I'll drill some additional holes to the main body at the weekend.

• Like 1

Sounds great mate, looking forward to the the result ! have to try uv resin for myself :duim:

Mostly worked with XTC -3d pretty thick and you have to carefully with it, to not lose any details ..

• 2 weeks later...

Well it took a while but I made some progress... I thought there wasn't much more left to do in the garden, but well... there is ALWAYS something to do and wifey always has ideas that need to be fullfilled. And beside the outside projects I got myself an early birthday present and I call an Ender 3 V 2 my own now. A new toy, do I have to say anything more?! :D

Basically I spent more time priming, filling and sanding... There are still some more spots to work on (the sight in the back, the T-Tracks and the grip) and I skipped the idea of adding additional holes in the body because the working bench was no longer present. I took the first pics two weeks ago. The base was still a little rough.

foto23.05.21200149c7kur.jpg foto23.05.21200213i3kxr.jpg foto23.05.21212739gjjza.jpg foto23.05.212128020akv3.jpg

Yesterday I added the metalic basecoat and a gray basecoat for the black structure color to get an idea how much the printing lines would shine through. But it is "okay" I would say. 

foto25.05.21192109rik33.jpg foto25.05.21192124lmku9.jpg foto25.05.21192156yhj6d.jpg foto25.05.21192207onkjc.jpg

Ok, just wanted to give a short update. More to come soon.

• Like 2

Looking good mate, hard work pays off i guess :peace: Is it just me, or does the front sight looks kinda big ? (black one) Or is just the angle of the phote ?

Did you use wet sandpaper ? i personally use mostly wet sandpaper (320 grit) before Filler and Putty, to get a smooth surface.

The front sight should be alright as far as the size is concerned... but you've put it on the wrong way around. :sweat: Hope you haven't used glue yet. 

Nah, just realised that you probably just test-fitted it when it was still black,thumbs up. 

Looking forward to seeing the finished blaster. 

Yes, sir... Had a day off today and I worked on the scope. It came with a lenses a sticker with a crosshair. Pretty nice... Nothing really special about the scope. I put all the parts together and glued it in place with E6000. I'll add some more resin in the print lines at the bottom but I think I'll conceal it with the weathering, Tomorrow will be big painting day so I guess on sunday there will be more pictures,

foto28.05.21172504gpjkz.jpg foto28.05.21172954dbk4m.jpg foto28.05.21173132fokzz.jpg foto28.05.21200553daklk.jpg

• Like 1

The parts are coming together... I sprayed a rusty brown as baselayer for the main body parts today. I'll be masking the parts this evening or tomorrow morning and than I'll lay down the main color which is a black color with structure in the pigments. I'm curious hoq it'll look...

foto29.05.211715013lkcx.jpg

• Like 1

Well, it seems like I'm not real "documentary" guy... :D But today I was in a good mood and everything just happend and the bapty is almost finished. The muzzle needs some more gentle knock, knock with the rubber hammer to get it a little more tighter, cleaning up in general, the T-Tracks and the back cap need to be glued to the body. Unfortunately the hengstler cracked a little bit so I'll will replace it with a new printed one when my printing skills have improved. Same with the magazine slot. I'll redo them with the files @Asvarusrecommended. The trigger guard and the scope rail will be replaced with metal versions. The next weekend I'll do the weathering and I have designed a display stand which I'll print during the next days. :duim: I have to say that I'm kind off happy with result so far especially in compared with the beginning. I wish the structure color would have more "structure" pigments but it's ok.

foto30.05.2119132957jx1.jpg foto30.05.21191355umkut.jpg unbenannt7tkp0.jpg parts54jw8.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I waited with the final pictures because I've ordered some acrylic display stands by 3D Props. I first planed to print them in PLA but I thought that black acrylic looks much nicer. But I'll print the imperial cog and will attach them somewhere on the stand. For weathering I used @pandatrooper technique for the base oily layer and than drybrushed a brass color across some spots. Still need to seal it with varnish Overall I'm really satisfyed with the result. The print lines where really rough in the beginning and I switched from UV Resin to spray filler during the whole process. Something I won't do again in the future. The UV Resin is great but for rounded objects not the best decission because you get all those drips and drops where the fluid is going because of the rounded sourface. Sprayfiller is much more forgiving. I'll definitely change the trigger guard and the scope rail in the future and I want to redo the hengstler. But yeah... compared with the parts I've got from the netherlands in early 2021 and now... I like it and I've got myself a Bapty and it's looking good in the shelf. :D In the background is the E-11 I got with my RS commission and I really put some "heavy" weathering on it as @Hausi mentioned in the PO build thread. So I'll rework this as well as a classy ANH E-11 to display.

foto15.06.21185149swkgw.jpg foto15.06.211852124mkdl.jpg foto15.06.21185246e2k0j.jpg foto15.06.21185301lzktv.jpg

foto15.06.21185343q4j1u.jpg foto15.06.21185330xkjqn.jpg foto15.06.211855441ouj70.jpg