Question about Detachment facts

Punisha

I am writing this to ask if anyone has any proof of the MEPD being the first detachment and that we began as a detachment in 2000?  The 501st records have us as starting in 2002 behind the JRS.  This information on record has held up our "1st detachment" and 20th anniversary merchandise projects. I've only been around since 2014, so I'm asking for some help from any long-time members. If we have any proof to take forward to the legion, we can possibly get this corrected.  

Thanks, Tim 

I am guessing some older members can provide context, but looking at this 501st History page I found, looks like all the detachments were formed around the same time? https://databank.501st.com/databank/Legion:History

Looking at our own website - "The MEPD began in late 2000 as a small group of Sandtrooper costume owners hoping to become the official Sandtrooper Detachment of the 501st Legion. That wish was fulfilled in early 2001." https://www.mepd.net/

I am guessing it's possible members gathered in the Yahoo! Groups? Under another name?

Sorry, I saw the other post first.  
edit - So digging through lots of posts and using internet archive, I was able to find  Sandtrooper. net  which led me to https://web.archive.org/web/20020927231419/http://sandtrooper.freeservers.com/
The names that reoccur are Joe Musso @TD5374,   Joey Beck @bamatrooper , @SethB6025 and  TD0013. It appears that before it was Sandtrooper free servers, it was a Yahoo group. 
Looking at threads in here, another name comes up, but I do not know if they are MEPD, the name is BraksBuddy. 
All MEPD stuff appears to have be transferred over from that person to Joe Musso. To make this official on  php instead of yahoo board. 

It looks as though the Yahoo group died when it was brought over to the php platform. There is mention of it being in 2001. In this thread 

@Rolf also mentions in the thread that he has been a member of the 501st since 2001. I do not know details there. So if any of the previously mentioned members are still around or you can contact them, you might have better info.

All I have is this.
The quote on a trading card - who it came from I do not know. It is just the standard card. I also have my own stack of them and they are the same.
The second is a quote I pulled from either here, or I may have pulled it from another page. The quote is similar. The only difference is the use of “oldest” and “first”. I had been writing up a document around 2013? I forgot the purpose of it though. 

“It was founded in 2000 and is one of the oldest detachments in the 501st legion.” - found on an old and new trading card.
“It was founded in 2000 and is one of the first detachments in the 501st legion.” - pulled from either here or the other site. See following information. 

The page I pulled the quote from might have been be a personal webpage by a Sandtrooper , from when I was working on my build (this would be 2011-2012) I recall that there were images of the different helmets, specifically there was the Oakley helmet. Don’t know if that helps jog someone’s memory. I also recall that maybe “Sarge” was featured on that page,  because there was a remark of “oldest member of the 501st is a member of it’s oldest detachment”. 
Unfortunately the background color of the page was orange/beige and black text. So that doesn’t narrow that down. 
If you want me to try to find the page, I might be able to find the hard drive from three PCs ago and search for that document. It may have the info buried in it. But it is doubtful. 

Also It has been posted on “our “ main page for as long as I can remember.  So I am not sure why it wasn’t brought up if that information has been incorrect for all these years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
https://www.mepd.net

Our History

The MEPD began in late 2000 as a small group of Sandtrooper costume owners hoping to become the official Sandtrooper Detachment of the 501st Legion. That wish was fulfilled in early 2001.”

Edit - so even if I am wrong with the 2020, our own page would indicate  that 2021 is our 20 anni. 
Edit - removed remark about geocities page - I think I only stole some images from it that were reference images of Sandtroopers and not the page I was talking about. 

Edit - Noel Green aka Bluey and Daniel Carlton aka Skutch,  are two of the older former MEPD members I know of who are local to me. But they have both “dropped off the internet”. They would have been able to answer questions, but Noel had been trying to disconnect himself from everything internet and smart phone. I last saw Daniel in 2019. 
I will try to reach Daniel. (Just sent Daniel a message over on our garrison’s forum)

edit - Is it possible to see the “history” of the front page that we all are quoting? Like the various edits, to see when that mention of EZ boards was written?

BraksBuddy, I believe, is/was Art Andrews, owner of TheRPF, The Dented Helmet, etc. I did a quick member search of the 501st database and didn’t turn anything up. I don’t know if he’s a member here, but I’ll see if he’ll respond to a PM on the RPF forum and invite him over here.

• Like 1

Hello Troops, yes, you guys are correct with the history and people, more names escape my memory too that were a part of it all..., Back in 2002 I joined the 501st officially with a TD, and had met up with these guys mentioned too on sandtroopers. somthing.. as it existed as a website then...  Back then the 501st wasn't that organized and "detachments" were a new thing , more of an idea really taking shape ...  there was the rpf, the dented helmet, and the omega wing sites where everyone built thier first replica costumes.. but those sites were not part of the  new "501st legion " thing...   Several of us new to the 501st wanted to revive the idea of the MEPD as it was a only yahoo group and a web page with very little activity and the site was not being updated too often....., also no forums yet existed at the time even for the 501st legion ( it was also only a yahoo group until 2005)    In mid 2002, the 501st was only 5 years old and the idea of  "detachments" was being defined and picking up steam everywhere,  the best one was the JRS as they had a forum with topics! and overall were better organized,  thus we wanted the same for us sandtroopers..  I think we had sandtroopers.com /.net  or some urls too and later got mepd.net ??    

So several of us got this new forum and sites up and online ( for the life of me i can't remember the webmaster , Josh?) and we agreed on Joe musso becoming the first DL and I was his XO, this was late 2003 . By 2004, that summer Joe had dropped off online and i took the detachment over as DL and was also the DL again for 2005 too. I then left to co-start the Clonetrooper detachment in 2005 and be its DL in 2005and 2006. 

So when did the MEPD site first go up and actually "start" ?? it was there as the name of the sandtroopers site and yahoo group in 2001 when i began my build and learning about this 501st thing that was starting online.. ... but the MEPD the yahoo group had probably just 30 people all over the world on it...   I don't think we had a "detachment leader" and organization as it exists today.. but we can say the name and website were founded by 2001 then and later "organized" in 2003 that i can attest to.    Id say we were the first detachment - technically...   

-joey

TD-152

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:42 AM, Bootlegger137 said:

BraksBuddy, I believe, is/was Art Andrews, owner of TheRPF, The Dented Helmet, etc. I did a quick member search of the 501st database and didn’t turn anything up. I don’t know if he’s a member here, but I’ll see if he’ll respond to a PM on the RPF forum and invite him over here.

That is indeed me. Sadly, I have never officially been a member of the 501st although I have been around here since nearly the beginning. I wish I could help you guys, but I don't know if this was the first detachment or not. I only know it was an awesome group of passionate costumers back in the day and still appears to be awesome today. Wish I could be of more help. Keep doing your thing.

• Like 3

At this point, the Legion is not letting us produce 20th Anniversary Merchandise until 2022.  We are trying to shift gears and go with another plan at this point for Merch.  

2 hours ago, Punisha said:

At this point, the Legion is not letting us produce 20th Anniversary Merchandise until 2022.  We are trying to shift gears and go with another plan at this point for Merch.  

mepd10thanniv-gold-v1-sides.jpg

mepd15thannivv1-f.jpg

Seems to me it was established we started in 2000 when the Legion allowed us to make these. What more proof and precendent do they need? :td:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harenatrooper said:

mepd10thanniv-gold-v1-sides.jpg

mepd15thannivv1-f.jpg

Seems to me it was established we started in 2000 when the Legion allowed us to make these. What more proof and precendent do they need? :td:

I totally agree.  This has been an "interesting" year with the Legion Merch folks.  That being said, I will forward these pictures to try and make our case again.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, Art Andrews said:

That is indeed me. Sadly, I have never officially been a member of the 501st although I have been around here since nearly the beginning. I wish I could help you guys, but I don't know if this was the first detachment or not. I only know it was an awesome group of passionate costumers back in the day and still appears to be awesome today. Wish I could be of more help. Keep doing your thing.

Thank you for stopping in to help us out. Any info provided is helpful. 

@Punisha - there has been no response from Daniel/Skutch. And Noel/Bluey is listed as inactive and is no longer able to receive messages. 
I have also posted in our garrison’s private Sandy group for any ephemra related to the MEPD, but the chances of any of them having anything is doubtful as there have been very few merch runs (compared to other detachments) for MEPd over the years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 3:06 PM, Fraulein said:

Thank you for stopping in to help us out. Any info provided is helpful. 

@Punisha - there has been no response from Daniel/Skutch. And Noel/Bluey is listed as inactive and is no longer able to receive messages. 
I have also posted in our garrison’s private Sandy group for any ephemra related to the MEPD, but the chances of any of them having anything is doubtful as there have been very few merch runs (compared to other detachments) for MEPd over the years. 

We FINALLY won the discussion.  Our late coins are up now.  Now that the issue is resolved, more Merch is coming 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1