Private Area - new TD built

bigwam

I would like to start a WIP about the build of my new Sandtrooper.

Why a new one? Well, the old one is getting on in years and after almost 60 uses the first signs of fatigue are showing.

I have chosen the "Roadblock Private" as a model. I have almost finished the backpack:

Like my first armor, I wanted one from Troopermaster again. I was very satisfied with the quality. In the meantime Paul has revised his forms and I now have the replacement armor.

You can see a few differences. He has based himself even more closely on the original. I will gradually show the differences in the construction.

The armor is now trimmed:

rmj3c86p.jpg

Now it's time to adjust. I'll start with the forearms. Here is the comparison to the old ones:

mths2e8q.jpg
zbp9rb4g.jpg

• Like 3

Today, i work on the forearms and Biceps.

Before I cut the coverstripes wrong again, I put paul's picture next to it. I still remember that when I made the first armor I cut without thinking and then I was missing material ...

c4fm3lla.jpg

u2hq3hcg.jpg

fqorzf4r.jpg

ug2hgniq.jpg

43cdrh2e.jpg

og56hnxp.jpg

hoz5xyj2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Thomas,

When sizing the arms, they have a kind of flat spot on the back side. This is how the original armour was and is where the joining strips are supposed to go, as long as you can get your arms into them.  Obviously make them as big as necessary but I thought I would mention it just in case you are unaware since this armour is slightly different to the previous version you got from me.

czqrTsM.jpg

Also, no return edge on the wrist or inner elbow curve ;)

KqHP1AO.jpg

Thanks Paul,

I know about the return edge. I leave a really small piece because of the stability. It is not really a return edge, only half an milimeter. But i can cut it away.

gnynwir3.jpg

• Like 1

The forearms were actually done. After Paul's post, I took everything apart again. Returnedges all cut off. Cut the forearms there like Paul said. When I found pictures on his FB page, it all made sense to me:

4ubkmm77.jpg

This coverstripe gave me a headache. But now that I see it cut off, everything was clear.

The shins are finished in front. I know they're a bit wider, but I have big calves. I had to do it like this with the Latvian. Based on the pictures I cut the stripes accordingly:

9f57z98q.jpg
spjwb5jh.jpg

Before that, I had shown German thoroughness. Everything exactly in the middle. The ends are nice and clean, rounded off, no sharp edges. Like my first trooper (photo below):

rlxwarrx.jpg
vkgwjs2w.jpg

Then I saw these pictures and the pictures of Paul and I thought F *** off. No more thoroughly. Let's make it accurate: corners, edges, sharp corners, crooked and crooked ...

4lggzath.jpg
tayt62su.jpg

The day's work is done. Biceps ready, shins almost, forearms dry, thighs trimmed.

gdsypiyb.jpg
7pt7hi8n.jpg

16 hours ago, bigwam said:

No more thoroughly. Let's make it accurate: corners, edges, sharp corners, crooked and crooked ...

This is the way! :D

The less precise you are when building the armour, especially when cutting the joining strips and finishing them, the more accurate your armour will look. I know it's hard for some people but in order to look like the troopers on screen, you have to build your armour the same way.  You can still take great care and pay attention to what you are doing, but focus more on authenticity rather than ideally, and the end results will be much better in my opinion.

Another thing that most people focus on too much (and I think you have too) is sticking to the 15mm width on the strips on the arms and 20mm on the legs. It's common for the strips on the arms to be 20mm and the legs 25mm, and these sizes look better when you are a bigger guy.

Look at the strips on this guy. They look to be 18-20mm wide on both the biceps and forearms.

mABS946.jpg

• Like 1

Work for this day is done. Yesterday I removed all returnedges of the forearms (inner elbow curve and wrist), cut the forearms a bit and glued them together. Today I cut the coverstripes according to Paul's pictures. Thighs are also cropped and dry.
Yes, my coverstripes are 15 mm on the biceps and forearms. Thighs are 20 mm. I had to do 24 mm on the lower legs because of my calves. I already had it with my old armor, you don't notice (the big boy in the front):

y9tyuk8s.jpg

And here my daily work:

nazyb4nu.jpg
8hp5edip.jpg
q83lqhdx.jpg
o32u8knr.jpg
owzfinbh.jpg
i3a8come.jpg
3yy67jui.jpg

• Like 1

Used a vacation day and continued working: Shoulder rubbers revised and a snap button sewn on:

lgstdxil.jpg

The rest is almost done:

wlfxa6yg.jpg
s2mxsbl8.jpg
dvk95etw.jpg
u2jdexir.jpg
lkhncuat.jpg

Tonight I sewed and glued hooks on the elastic:

nbkxz352.jpg
9wko3csm.jpg
pstmzw26.jpg
gdbhh7zv.jpg

What is still to be done?

- Adjusting the shoulder bells and biceps

- Attach a widening to the kidney (i'm a little bigger ...)

- Build a helmet.  I have four kits here (DA, RWA, TM & RS). I still have to choose one.

Just a little bit of work today. Prepared for widening: Sand down the ABS plate to 0.3mm so that the transition fits, bend and glue on the counterplate. Adjust Bells & Biceps:

wnc4kbra.jpg

zri24boe.jpg

eesz6v84.jpg

7qgytpau.jpg

Today, a little work on the kidney. Yesterday glued, today filled, sanded and painted. But only in the grinding area. Found a color that exactly matches the ABS.
lso6csnm.jpg
3pthvqrz.jpg
6vsyqrjw.jpg
2snudlbr.jpg
t56szfy2.jpg
Impressive, most impressive.

Amazing work on those shims, please, do tell us the secret

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

What secret? The colour?

Today i had the first fitting. Everything fits perfectly. Biceps, forearms are only fixed with tape, now I'll stick the rubber on. Then shorten the belt and the shims. Then I'll think about the helmet.

uvo3cjnc.jpg
cqvqbnma.jpg
coouplzl.jpg

• Like 3

Remaining work done. Shims shortened, screws inserted, rubbers glued. I also built a second pair of thighs, so I don't have to take off the doll in the background completely if I want to put on the old trooper. Now the helmet is still missing, next construction site.

9u43lf4x.jpg

rbx2eiqa.jpg

zxo2w3jn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Do folks ever paint their whole kit? I haven't seen that if so, but if ever there was a place that that kind of accuracy would happen it's here :td:

On 12/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, troopermaster said:

Button plate corners should be cut at angles if you want to go for uber accuracy :)

JgdGBej.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, mikelbrierly said:

Do folks ever paint their whole kit? I haven't seen that if so, but if ever there was a place that that kind of accuracy would happen it's here :td:

There's no need to paint the armour, unless it has started to yellow or you have parts from different makers and the ABS is different shades of white. The original armour was not painted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the helmet I wanted to choose between TM and RS because I had both kits here. My son made the decision for me when he told me - the TM kit is his. Then the decision is made, forced to RS.

ukyigtbl.jpg

After almost 2 hours I am finished with my teeth and so far satisfied. I didn't get the same perspective when taking photos, but I think you know what I'm talking about. It is about the distance and height of the teeth to each other. The picture below is also "wider" than my cell phone took, so the teeth look narrower and higher on the sides. I am also of the opinion that Davin Felth has a fourth tooth gap, which you just don't see in the film images. In the pictures shown below you can see a small hole.

b3wzjxk5.jpg
roghnypc.jpg
jz3s9bwu.jpg
gq9no9n6.jpg

• Like 2