*Proper* stormtrooper doctrine?

bad aim

I was just reading Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zhan and there was a part in it that I found interesting. It mentioned that "In sudden silence, [Mara] could hear footsteps coming her way. Several sets, by the sound, but in too close a step to be Chiss on a casual stroll around the ship. This group was definitely military....*fast fowards a paragraph*...they stood like Stormtroopers, they held their BlasTech E-11 rifles like stormtroopers."

Question is, how does a TK (I'm guessing this also pertains to the TDs) hold their blaster rifle "correctly"? Another thing that I found interesting is that almost all TKs I see on the big screen, when they're in parade formation, hold their rifles with their left hand. Is this just respect, or are all the actors left handed?

Also, is there a certain way a Stormtrooper walk that distinguishes them from "everybody else"?

Thanks.

The left handed thing I noticed... probably one of those Lucas inspired things, a mental que to show their alignment to 'the left hand path', if you will.

How you walk and hold your gun is up to you. The only rule we enforce in our Garrison (501st) is to not take off your helmet in public when doing official events.

The left handed thing I noticed... probably one of those Lucas inspired things, a mental que to show their alignment to 'the left hand path', if you will.

How you walk and hold your gun is up to you. The only rule we enforce in our Garrison (501st) is to not take off your helmet in public when doing official events.

Good copy!

I believe they held the E-11's left-handed in formation because the magazine rubs against the ab in the right-handed postion. I'm right-handed and when I'm just standing in a static position I swap over to the left-hand so I don't grind the magazine into my ab-plate.

As far as the proper "method" of walking and brandishing your weapon... walk like you have a PURPOSE, and hold that weapon like you MEAN IT, you're the badest S.O.B. on the entire planet and you should let EVERYONE know it from them just looking at you without you saying ONE WORD to 'em! I've cleared a wide isle through a milling crowd with that technique while wearing my armor. It's ALL about body language, just don't be an a-hole about it though!!

LOL, I guess it DOES depend on your height and the width of your shoulders!

This is key... NEVER walk TO someone, ALWAYS walk AT them! I also think a TD looks far more imposing than a TK when they walk AT you!

When you master this, you will BE that TD we all know and love!

When I had clean TK armour (sorry, us Canucks spell it with a "u") I found myself in more static, "guarding" poses. The E-11 was either in my hands at the ready or holstered (one hand either on the belt or by my side with the right hand holding the E-11 in the holster - kinda like in a gunslinger at high noon). Being 6'3" I usually find it has the Moses-effect on large crowds...

After the conversion to the TD I find myself very much with the same attitude mentioned above. A bit more swagger in your walk (a 'hitch in yer gitty-up', if you will). I always thought of the Sandtroopers a kind of Back-Water cop. They've got total authority in their territory and they know how to get that across to everyone around them.

It's muuuuuch more fun being dirty!

When I'm suited up I usually walk with a more agressive style. I more or less march most of the time if I'm walking a good distance. It's not a defined march, but if I'm not carrying my sad-looking T-21 I'll carry my E-11 in my right hand and my left arm will move back and forth across my chest (from my chest to my side - hard to explain). I always walk around like I'm the biggest "bad ***" on the planet, but I never try to act cocky. If I'm just standing there in a neutral pose with my E-11, my gun is almost always in my right hand down at my side, like in this photo.

Now, how do most people here act toward children? Do you loose the "cool" attitude and be much more child-friendly when they approach you? Some kids are excited and eager to approach me, and others are just flat out scared to death. I usually am always the more friendly trooper in these situations, but when there's mainly adults around I just act like I'm king of the mountain.

This is a great thread!

I usually am always the more friendly trooper in these situations, but when there's mainly adults around I just act like I'm king of the mountain.

That's pretty much what I do. Normally I reach back to my infantry days for how I act in public, but with little kids (I'm talking under 8 or so) I try to cool it down, e.g. do high-fives, etc. For one terrified little girl (4 yo perhaps) I (flame shields up) took off my helmet so she could see I was a real person, and told her I was a daddy too, just like her daddy. She calmed down immediately and I re-bucketed.

For one terrified little girl (4 yo perhaps) I (flame shields up) took off my helmet so she could see I was a real person, and told her I was a daddy too, just like her daddy. She calmed down immediately and I re-bucketed.

No flaming needed. If someone wanted to flame you because of making a little girl(one of the reasons we even do this) more at ease then they are not someone you even should care what they think. Some people don't realize this is just a costume and the cameras aren't on.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Paul and Rob are flamers!!

Here's the posture I usually take with teenagers:

Posted Image

Here's the one I usually take with younglings:

Posted Image

Here's walking with a PURPOSE:

Posted Image

And here's hangin' with Vader:

Posted Image

Let the armor do the talking, unless your a shorty like this one, then you have to compensate!!

Posted Image

...If someone wanted to flame you because of making a little girl(one of the reasons we even do this) more at ease then they are not someone you even should care what they think. Some people don't realize this is just a costume and the cameras aren't on.

My first day on the job, my CO was the one who said, "we only have one rule... keep your helmet on at all times, to keep the illusion." I never questioned it.

But you're right... some kids need to know we're people just like them.

And I have to say trooping with Old Line earlier this year was amazing since everyone kept their helmets on, I never heard the rule but I noticed and I loved it, longest I'd gone helmet on up to that point, now it's my rule too.

Taking off the helmet for the scared kid is something that has to be done sometimes, although I've found there are ways to calm kids even if I keep my bucket on. There's no point if you can't make the kids happy.

To calm the little ones, try playing "peek-a-boo" and make the "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" faces... althouh being evil is better becasue good is dumb!!

sometimes, whe the little jawas are really small, they can get scared so I remove my helmet and talk to them to calm down, once they see you they are not scared any more...

... once a little jawa start crying when I was leaving hahaha he want to take me home with him