Doopy"s Electrobinoculars

Bought this raw cast from Doopydoos 5 or 6 years back and finally got around to working on it. Its been sleeping on the shelf way to long. 

Planning to add lights and sounds once I get the pint job finished. Here is my progress so far. 

It came fullly assembled/glued together so I cut off the viewfinder end at the seam.

plUdmx7.jpg

xIAPmgn.jpg

Black primer coat

H8rbhTk.jpg

Painted another coat with grey and then some metallic dark iron paint for the weathering effect. (Sorry I did't document this step)

The painted it white using the toothpaste method to help the paint chip off. x3YoaBO.jpg?1

After removing the toothpaste

qNXtbP9.jpg2GxlFSE.jpgrlNOMuw.jpg

I am not particularly happy with my first attempt at weathering with the chip off effect so I might sand it down smoothly and repaint it white again. Once I get the chipping areas better balanced and more natural I will apply the dirt weathering. 

Any thoughts? Advice?  Would like to get some feedback so I can make this look better. 

• Like 2

I think it already looks pretty good. Why aren't you happy with it? Did the chipping turn out to be too uniform for your taste? That's what always tends to happen when I do this. :sweat:

You can also use some very fine grit sandpaper to add some scuffs or what I have done lately when wheathering a Scout lid, I have painted a plastic dowel black and used that to add scuffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sn4k3 said:

It looks,.interesting, maybe the chipping should be just in the areas where it would normally chip off first, like the areas of mayor contact with other surfaces

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Agreed, I tried to add the chipping in places of likely contact or if it was scraped on a surface.  It I see what you mean . It’s a bit too random. 

I based the weathering off of these photos.
But now in hindsight this is probably the prop after many years of degrading paint. 
Lg58VSh.jpgznmoys1.jpg

1 hour ago, Hausi said:

I think it already looks pretty good. Why aren't you happy with it? Did the chipping turn out to be too uniform for your taste? That's what always tends to happen when I do this. :sweat:

You can also use some very fine grit sandpaper to add some scuffs or what I have done lately when wheathering a Scout lid, I have painted a plastic dowel black and used that to add scuffs. 

Thanks for your feedback. The chipping looks okay, not bad but I guess I am not liking the amount I added. Perhaps a bit less would look better. I might go back and sand a few spots level and airbrush to get it uniform. 

I like your idea about the scuffs. I will try that once I get the white where I like it. Going to try to use some sand paper scuffs too to get some variety. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Agreed, I tried to add the chipping in places of likely contact or if it was scraped on a surface.  It I see what you mean . It’s a bit too random. 

I based the weathering off of these photos.
But now in hindsight this is probably the prop after many years of degrading paint. 
Lg58VSh.jpgznmoys1.jpg
I think the thing that makes yours looks odd, is the inconsistency between the chipping in the corner and borders and the lower surfaces less prone to be scratched, it looks too clean in the parts less likely to be scratched with normal use

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Daniel, thanks for your feedback. I see what you are saying. There is certainly the feeling of the weathering not being in the right spots. I have done some additional weathering since my post instead of sanding it all back. So once I get a bit further i will post up and please let me know what you think if you have time. Sanding it all back down would be a bummer so not really hoping to do that. But if my additional weathering work doesn’t pay off, I will have no choice, 

Thanks  again for stopping by, 

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been here in a while but man, these look pretty cool. I lightly sprayed some non scented hair spray on mine and added a little sand and ground up black chalk for desired effect. I'll shoot ya a pic. later. But these look pretty cool bro.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, THE TROOPER said:

Haven't been here in a while but man, these look pretty cool. I lightly sprayed some non scented hair spray on mine and added a little sand and ground up black chalk for desired effect. I'll shoot ya a pic. later. But these look pretty cool bro.

Thanks. I have since repainted over the chipped off parts and will tone that back a bit. Interested to see your binoculars especially how you weathered them. 

• 1 month later...

Re-painted and partially weathered with chipping and scratches. 
I went a little easier on the chipping this time around and happier than my first attempt. Not perfect but better than before. I got tired of sanding down the first paint job so the second attempt looks rather thick in some areas. 
Holding off to weather with dirt until I get my Sandy weathered. I want to match the weathering better. 

XFPWV1z.jpg

Still searching for a nice 38mm clear/tinted lens for the front to cover the old web cam camera I installed. (The web camera is non functional, just parts)

HHTAWWq.jpg

OLI88Kc.jpg

The top side lens metal part was from an old cologne bottle top. I also used the smaller lens retainer rings from my scope kits to lock the lens in place. 

VzTpggd.jpg

dCeYuB2.jpg

The red On/Off button functions to switch on the lens lighting.  The gray rod on the left side among the white protruding rods is a functional push switch for the lights on this rear faceplate. The black central screw on the bottom is a fictional push switch for the sound effects. This still needs more fine tuning as it doesn’t always work. 

pNpsu23.jpg

v7SSA3Y.jpg

Link to see the lights in action:

https://imgur.com/l7155bNhttps://imgur.com/l7155bN

Last thing I need to do besides dirt weathering is add the leather strap. Already sourced 15mm wide strapping and will add it soon.

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Motogpnut said:

These are great . Thank you! I might get one.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...