my sand trooper build

Trigger

So I started this build as a Tk and recently decided that I wanted to make a TD instead because I knew being able to weather would make me feel better about the armor. I have most of the armor built I’m still in the process of learning to weather my armor and I’m kinda nervous to start.

DbLzCQY.jpgrGgJVLb.jpg64sR301.jpgPexMBFi.jpgBK9qU2u.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey mate, welcome to the MEPD, good decision to dirty that armour up! Your build looks already very promising. :salute:

For the weathering, try to keep it looking natural, dirt would of course accumulate in recessed areas but not so much on flat surfaces, that's why I would recommend toning it down in these areas. I like the look you have achieved on that scrap piece of ABS on the right in the above pic. 

One more thing, I can see that you have strong legs, that's probably why you have chosen to have such a wide coverstrip at the back of the thighs which might be okay for basic approval depending on your Garrison's deployment officer, but should you decide to go for level 2/Police Officer, they would be too wide. They way to go here would be to shim the thighs to get that extra girth without having to use such a wide coverstrip. 

Cheers mate

15 hours ago, Hausi said:

Hey mate, welcome to the MEPD, good decision to dirty that armour up! Your build looks already very promising. :salute:

For the weathering, try to keep it looking natural, dirt would of course accumulate in recessed areas but not so much on flat surfaces, that's why I would recommend toning it down in these areas. I like the look you have achieved on that scrap piece of ABS on the right in the above pic. 

One more thing, I can see that you have strong legs, that's probably why you have chosen to have such a wide coverstrip at the back of the thighs which might be okay for basic approval depending on your Garrison's deployment officer, but should you decide to go for level 2/Police Officer, they would be too wide. They way to go here would be to shim the thighs to get that extra girth without having to use such a wide coverstrip. 

Cheers mate

Thanks for the tips, If I can’t take the back cover strip off could I bondo it to hide the seam the put a smaller cover strip over it

i also made a few more attempts to weather this is the one that turned out the best in my opinion

115B001C-8E2A-4824-94F6-5EAC4CD60C6D.jpeg

What glue was used to attach the coverstrip? If it was E6000, it should be pretty easy to remove the coverstrips, just gently apply some heat with a heat gun and then carefully use an exacto blade to remove the strip. Not sure if just filling it up with bondo is such a good idea as these parts always move and bend and twist when you wear it... 

One more thing, you know that you don't need the shoulder bridges for a TD? ;)

I assume you are just using that part for testing. 

I would definitely recommend trying to remove the strips, worst case would be using a dremel to sand them down and then you can start shimming the thighs and finally add a brand new coverstrip. For shimming, use ABS sludge (ABS bits dissolved in acetone, I'm pretty sure you know it). 

I like the weathering but it still is a little too solid for my liking,with too much white in between. I always recommend going the black and sand-wash-way. Applying watered down acryllic paints and dabbing it off with a paper towel delivers amazing results in my opinion. But that's all up to personal taste. 

oddly enough i don't know how to use ABS Sludge. i didn't use it at all in my clone build. i started to make shims for the thighs i just cut off the cover strip i had, now I'm just waiting for the e6000 to cure. i tried another attempt on the weathering of the armor, its kinda hard to see my lighting wasn't great.

bQets7d.jpg

Weathering looks much better now in my opinion as it is a little more subtle. 

Making ABS Sludge is easy enough, just cut some ABS left-overs into little pieces put it in a jar and pour acetone over it so it's completely covered, then just give it some time and a little stir every now and then. After two days you should be fine putting it on. Don't put on too thick of a coat at once but just a thin coat and then the next day add the next coat. After sanding it down you might still want to paint it. Use some plastic primer first and then spray paint it with ral 9016,at least that the colour I always use here in Germany. 

in the last few days i was able to start on remaking my thighs, given its a fairly long process and with my limited amount of time to work on it I've started working on the weathering of the rest of the armor. disregard the fact that there isn't thigh armor its kinda still drying

YUUidfY.jpgcr2QhLR.jpgSNLFhyK.jpg

A little hint. The cover stripes on the shins are also very wide at the back. I had the same problem with my calves. I had made the stripes a little wider at the front and not quite brought the two halves of the shins together at the front. So I didn't have to make the cover strip so wide at the back.

mp5rylhr.jpg

Usually you don't need a shoulder pouch for basic. But clarify this with the GMO of your Garrison. If you still want to wear one, attach a strap to the pouch that goes over your shoulder. You can then attach this to the back plate with Velcro.

q9k5goym.jpg
due6n9nz.jpg
jdyanogp.jpg

Looks good, but the belt must be higher, up to the lower edge of the square . Also the forearms a little bitte higher. I would fill the cut-outs on the thighs at the back. Or cut out a curve like in the Film.