WIP wannbe Police Officer

Hey mate, that pack looks pretty good already, seems like RS have seriously improved their packs. I really like that they have even added the red canvas back support straps.. with the white shoelaces, what a nice addition! :duim:

Is that frame made of aluminium? 

The bottom bend in the frame looks about right, I am afraid you will have to get used to the bottle scratching your butt:sweat: same on my pack with a real Karrimor. 

I am still not completely happy with that colour though... seems a wee bit too bluish. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hausi said:

Hey mate, that pack looks pretty good already, seems like RS have seriously improved their packs. I really like that they have even added the red canvas back support straps.. with the white shoelaces, what a nice addition! :duim:

Is that frame made of aluminium? 

The bottom bend in the frame looks about right, I am afraid you will have to get used to the bottle scratching your butt:sweat: same on my pack with a real Karrimor. 

I am still not completely happy with that colour though... seems a wee bit too bluish. 

Oh yeah! I was hoping for the backpack guru to respond! :peace: No, the frame is made of some kind of plastic. Ok, seems like I need to get used to it...

But anyway I'll disassamble it and rebuild the lower bottle. Just bought a bottle of dashboard whipes #nocommercial :P and a rattle can of RAL 7031 in a satin finish. So I'll have to respray all grey parts anyways.

foto12.09.201635450akbt.jpg

• Like 1

Arne, I would have to talk to Thomas and see what he thinks about the RS greyish blue colour. I think it's acceptable. As always this is dependent on lighting conditions. So no need to repaint everything right now. Still goodbto have the RAL 7031, might come in handy, if your stuff needs repainting after troops. Then you can still repaint all those parts. But if you are planning to change the lower bottle anyway, you may repaint the other parts to have them colour-matching. 

Cheers mate, you're doing a great job. :salute:

As father as I know they don‘t... but I have to admit I didn‘t ask.
Sure it‘s a crust of Salt because of the hot summers in Hesse I want to build my own babty but haven‘t really looked for a kit and doopydooes kit. Just noticed that their website is not uptodate.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I disassambled the pack. So if you're interested of which part the RS pack consits, here you are... :P The main issue I have with the pack is that the lower bottle doesn't really stays in place. The bottomcap of the syphon is glued in so I'll try to heat the glue with a heat gun and get the cap out and fix the threaded rod into position. While disassambled I'll give the sypon a little buff with sandpaper. I've already sprayed to upper bottle, the canteen and the new bottom bottle with RAL 7031. The tray is next. I'm thinking about spraying the frame with aluminum paint and than mask some parts with masking fluid to give it more of a used look. But it is just a plan at the moment. Because of my job I don't have that much time for the next two weeks so more progress will be made in october.

foto19.09.20155113xzkbc.jpg foto19.09.20160245d6jtg.jpg foto19.09.20160543jgjie.jpg foto19.09.20160615aak9r.jpg foto19.09.20160624cykht.jpg

foto19.09.20160819dajwg.jpg foto19.09.20160843suj0v.jpg foto19.09.20161000sdktx.jpg foto19.09.20161315icjkl.jpg

Cheers

Quite interesting to see how those RS parts look from up close.

Frame looks great, very accurate to the original. 

If you are already improving a lot of it, consider adding some feet to the radio as well, just as the original Sonix has them. 

On the original Karrimor frames, those red support straps are mounted the other way around, meaning that the actual strap is facing the carrier's back. 

You're doing a great job, the pack will look amazing when you have finished working on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. I resprayed every part of the backpack and the parts are drying right now. In the meantime I added some details to the radio. I bought some 3.5mm mic jacks for the side. I drilled two holes before realizing that the material is to thick to put the jacks through. So I hat to cut the main part away and "just" fit the thread and a washed underneath the leatherette wrap. It was a pain in the a**... They still need to be positioned correctly. Furthermore I added some 5mm foam underneath and put some 1.2mm washers on the bottom to simulate the stands. At the back I put the cap of a snap.

I sprayed the frame in a aluminum color and added some masking fluid to get some "colorchips" and than I sprayed satin black again. I will make some pictures of the finished parts tomorrow and than I guess I'll be ready to put it back together.

foto09.10.20163237etklz.jpg foto09.10.20163253baje3.jpg foto10.10.201411229jjua.jpg foto10.10.201454516jj7r.jpg foto10.10.20145458q8jdl.jpg foto11.10.2009354751jvf.jpg

Thanks @Hausi I'm almost finished the backpack. Alright, just the bottom bottle is missing. I messed up the nut holding the bottle to the threaded rod with glue... so i had to do another one and it's not dry yet. Reassembling was quite easy, in theory... I put the bottom part of the upper seed tray the wrong side arround on the frame and as a result the rods didn't fit into to holes... After a lot of cursing and screaming I noticed my mistake and turned it arround and it fitted immediately... :6:

Ok, so here is what I did:
- sprayed the PVC frame in an aluminum color, added masking fluid and sprayed it black again (I hope it looks a little natural)
- mounted the red support straps the right way arround
- sprayed every gray part with RAL 7031
- sprayed every black part (except the mortar tube) with black
- gave the mortar tube a buff with steel wool
- smoothed the seamlines of the syphon and fixed the rod holding the bottom bottle
- rebuild the bottom bottle
- added some details to the radio (stands and mic / headphone jacks)

What still needs to be done:
- weathering the whole thing
- concealing the colormistakes (i guess to much varnish) at left bottom of the radio by weathering or putting some black on it
- putting another round of clear varnish on everything

Cheers :salute:

foto12.10.20152813gjku0.jpg foto12.10.20152839a9jxc.jpg foto12.10.20152852sajr1.jpg foto12.10.201529140ajag.jpg foto12.10.20152942skjq1.jpg foto12.10.20152953ajjhc.jpg

Yeah, I know what you are talking about, stuff like that has happened to me as well. :sweat: Sometimes one is just too much into a project and doesn't realize that there might me a simple solution to a problem. 

Your pack looks great. 

I am a little confused about the way RS has attached the plate holding the shotgun shells. 

One piece of advice: consider using EVA foam as a padding to protect the butt piece of your armor. I have done this with my packs and it worked very well. 

Ok, I think I'm "finished" with the pack. The bottom bottle is still causing problems because some color came of and I'm still not satisfied with it so I'll have to redo it again. But it'll be finished before trying to go for PO. I'll add some foam as @Hausi recommended and I drawed a part in tinkercad to hold the "rod" on the opposite side of the mortar tube.

clipmpjho.jpg

By the way, how is it called?! The printed part will hopefuly here next weekend. And I ordered caps for the frame because the ones I use are a little bit to small. Some more small things to do before going for PO... Still need to change the snap at the bottom with two new ones. But I'll think I close...

foto18.10.20150319rkjsu.jpg foto18.10.20150516xvkjg.jpg foto18.10.20150350tukvq.jpg foto18.10.20150410e9j3i.jpg foto18.10.20150425h4jgs.jpg foto18.10.201504373gj7u.jpg foto18.10.20150549oakmt.jpg foto18.10.20150613ugjk2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Beeing inspired by @Omaha Joe mannequin I added some arms to mine this weekend... :td: 

foto19.01.21140011bskk4.jpg

Next project will be a dewback prod. My brother in law works in a company with access to a lathe machine (is this the correct translation?!) and he'll try to build the pieces based on bigwam drawings. More to come!  :duim:

• Like 3