WIP wannbe Police Officer

Hi everyone!

My name is Arne, I'm 37 years young and from germany and located next to Frankfurt/Main. This year I fulfilled a childhood dream and bought myself a stormtrooper armor. But I always thought that just white is too boring and there is only one way to achive this. Right, becoming a sandtrooper - more specifically a deployed MEPD Police Officer. Because I don't have that much time because of my job but mainly because I have to left hands in terms of craftsmanship I decided to get a full build commission by RS. But I kept it clean because I wanted to do the weathering on my own. I waited about 5 weeks and yesterday three wonderful brown boxes arrived. I checked every part and except for a small part of the backpack everything arrived in one piece. So far so good. Yesterday I was to nervous to put everything on but I did today and I have to say that it fits quite well. I never wore a stromtrooper armor before so it was quite snug?! I don't know how to describe it... :lol:

Some parts I'll definitely have to work on. The biceps armor needs to be attached to the shoulders and maybe I'll take away so material from the return edges to make it a little bit more comfy. The shin armor comes with three little hocks which you have to put in small holes. Very tricky and it doesn't really fit. I'm thinking about adding some velcro instead of the hocks. Maybe they get a little bit mir tighter than. And I'll definitely need another helmet padding... My head seems to be so big the foam which is provided by RS is to big for my head inside the helmet... So there is some work to do before weathering. I have a WIP Thread at the german garrison forums but and I already got some help, advise and small spanish pouches over there but I think that this is also a right place to have a WIP. Ok, just one picture of the first time wearing a still white armor... :lol:

foto17.07.20195933yrjqh.jpg

Cheers

Hi Arne,

looks good!

The three little hocks are screen accurate, but it is no problem to use velcro, but with a little practice, the hooks shouldn't be a problem either.

There will also be a solution for the helmet lining.

Best regards

Hi Arne and welcome to the sand pit, having another dirty dude from Germany is great! :salute:

The armor suits you well! You will have to wear it a few times to find out where it can be adjusted.

Cheers mate

Thanks for the welcome! guys! 

I absolutely have to carry it much more to find all the littel adjustments. I'll think a good start is to add some foam inside of the shin armor so they'll fit the lower legs better. I think the biggest issue with the hooks was that the armor was a little to loose and so the hooks didn't really got enough tention and the armor was wobbling around. I'll have a try and than I could leave it screen accurate. That's the disadvantage of not building it yourself...

I've just ordered helmet padding for "tactical helmets" :6: Bigwam told me at the german garrison forums to try an inlay for a construction helmet. I'll already have one inside my clone helmet and don't like this solution that much so I'll give the padding a try. And I'll definitly cut out the lenses seperatly from the foil... So more updates are up to come soon!

Cheers!

Make sure that the weathering on the armor doesn't get too dark and stained. That the weathering doesn't seem too "hard". Create transitions and a complete wash over the armor. What looks good on a small area, like the handguards, may look too blatant on the large armor area.

Muddy is cool, too. But yeah... not the thing I'm aiming for. I've to say weathering a 1:1 part is different than weathering a small model. I started my first try on a "real" piece of armor. I want to overdo it a little bit at the ankles and getting it a less dirty on the way up. But it's maybe a little bit to dark on the lower part and I'll probably redo the shins later on. But I'll do the thighs and shoes first and want to get an impression of the lower body. And after disturbing bigwam on a sunday afternoon I'm kind of satisfied with the result and the wash. The upper and lower inside part of the armor and the back of the sniper plate still need some color.

foto26.07.20154209pijj1.jpg

foto26.07.20154342tjjk4.jpg

foto26.07.201544410zkik.jpg

Ok, guys just want to give a quick update on the weathering. I almost finished the extremities and I'm kind of satisfied with the result. I'll redo the ankles tomorrow because they are really too dark and I think that it'll be problematic with the boots. The thights and shins need another round of black wash. Didn't mangage to take a full armor picture because my wife is not here to take pictures.

foto01.08.20180947o3jne.jpg

I moved on to the boots and pauldron. Next week I‘m going to take a WIP full armor picture. But before I start weathering the last parts I need to do some adjustments to the codpiece and the chest. Adding a second male snap and some foam in the inside for more comfort. I‘m thinking about adding some kind of additional closing mechanism in the inside to prevent the armor from openig the gap on the right side and keeping the seams nice and tight.

Cheers

be224a0021174ddae023e06585a601ed.jpg

7f1399916529d05ddc4a1f177a8f5f13.jpg

be8fe36b3e3bc9a3e37141d48a266e1e.jpg

7d94a339926a72f295466d214edc5621.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Well, I took a picture today showing the status of the weathering process. I think I kinda like it... The handguards need a wash to get it to the right tone and I won't use that much dark brown on the torso. Only in the recessed areas. I'm thinking about emulateing a blaster hit on the torso so I'm trying to playing around with some black aswell.

I added some foam to the shins, the forearms and the biceps and aswell some padding around the collarbone area because the armour really put some presure on it. The left biceps and the forearm are still twisted as I see it now and the helmet is still wobbeling around because I haven't finished the interieur yet. But I'm really not happy with the biceps... Do you guys leave the shoulder armour attached to the biceps or do leave it separated? And I need to find another spot for the pictures someday... :P

foto16.08.20183433254jwq.jpg

Ok, another sunday afternoon a dicided to start working on the helmet. The foam star which comes with the RS Helmet was not an option for my big head. I tried adding some padding for "tactical helmets" I bought on amazon but was that much satisfyed with the result. The helmet was still shakeing around. So I tried to install an inlay of a construction helmet i also bought on amazon. I glued some small sheets of 0,5mm ABS plastic to the instalation hocks and after that I hot glued everything inside the helmet. I have to say that it fits very well now! Now wobbeling around because I can tighten the whole thing with the turning knob in the back. Nice!

After that it continued the weathering and as a result I think I'll have to redo the thighs and lower legs or at least try to get some of the wash removed. I'm kinda happy with the result. The weathering is getting better and better with each part I finish. So this is the reason why I have to redo some parts... :teehee:

Cheers

P.S. I don't know why the website keeps turning the pictures... sorry

foto23.08.200837543xkix.jpg

foto23.08.20092400pkjl9.jpg

foto23.08.20173432opkuo.jpg

foto23.08.201734453xkw0.jpg

foto23.08.20173454atjbi.jpg

foto23.08.20173505zokje.jpg

Almost there... just a quick shot of my display bust for today. Tomorrow I‘ll add some additional strapping inside and snaps for the shoulder ammo pouch. On the the weekend I‘ll sew some velcro to belt for the small spanish pouches. And than I‘ll suit up to fix some color mistakes or differences... I‘m still looking for matching snaps for the cod piece. But as they are not necessary for basic approval I‘ll add the second one later.

Cheers

157e0349703744847a7c9458adadb150.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ok, first things first... Before becoming a deployed PO I need to get the basic approval. So I finished weathering the armor in my holidays before I've to go on duty again tomorrow morning. Today was kind a sunny day and I took some pictures. Here are some of them. Any thoughts before handing in form?! :td:

img_19743jjrh.jpg

img_1958bjkr1.jpg

img_196215jhf.jpg

img_1963v8jfk.jpg

img_1965tkkx2.jpg

Still have no solution for stopping the bigger images from rotating back...

I like, what i see. I would only try to dye the belt and the shoulder straps. They still look very white. But shouldn't be an exclusion criterion, just something visual for the eye. I wish you luck.

• Like 1

Thank you! Yes, they look definitely a little bit too white. This is something I realized after taking the fotos. If it's not a problem for basic approval I'll leave it like this for now and will fix it for the PO. I just got some matching snaps to add to the butt piece and the next project will be my backpack. I'll post some pictures of the current look and status of the RS backpack.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, while waiting and hoping for the approval I'd like to work on the backpack. I got one with my commission by RS but after reviewing it a little bit I'm not completely satisfied with it. The color of the grey parts is looking good in my opinion. The biggest problem for me is that the bend at the bottom isn't long enough. I guess the seed trays are a little bit to small in width, too. Because of this the Gio Bottle is always sticking to my butt which makes carrying the backpack not that good or is this supposed to be this way?

The next problem is that the bottle sticking to the mushrom cap at the syphon isn't really staying in place. Same with the radardish. Both shouldn't be a real problem.

foto12.09.20133914s0j59.jpg foto12.09.20134350veksa.jpg foto12.09.201343151htkmz.jpg

foto12.09.20134240p8j1s.jpg foto12.09.20134156qwjk3.jpg foto12.09.201339545hjsb.jpg

foto12.09.201341461clkns.jpg

Seems like I'll have to disassemble the whole thing and tune it a little bit... Any additional thoughts?

Cheers