Aren't you a little skinny for a Stormtrooper?

5P3KTr

hello everyone. this is my first post in this forum. i've occasionally stopped by the MEPD site since i've wanted to put together a set of sandtrooper gear for some time. now i'm finally searching for a set to buy and was hoping for some pointers.

i found the set offered by Shepperton Design Studios, and it was quite beautiful, but 1) i cant afford it, and 2) i'd rather build it myself - i like a good project.

my criteria is this:

i want it to be the most accurate i can get my hands on

i want it to be of high quality with nice clean edges on the detailing

and finally - it has to fit me. my problem is i am about 5'9" and weight just over 115 pounds. while my shoulders are average size, my bone structure in my arms and legs is pretty small as well. i don't want to be swimming in it and i don't want the armor to look anorexic or something either. does this put me into the noncom catagory?

please offer recommendations and advice. thank you very much!

It sounds to me that any way you go your going to have to build up some padding in the armor to fit you well. Don't know how old you are but that to me (I'm 35) that doesn't seem much of a problem - being too thin! Good luck with the project.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optoline.net

hey, thanks for the idea. do you recommend any particular type of padding?

i'm 24 by the way, and i honestly don't mind being too thin - except for when i'm trying to buy armor!

Welcome to the boards, and we hope we can all one day get you in armor!!

I'm a skinny guy, too... 6ft. tall, 160lbs. You can pick up foam at any general craft store like JoAnn's fabrics, Michaels, etc. I bought a big piece you can use in a seat cushion for about $5.00. Just cut it up to fit.

As for armor for your body type. Stay away from FX, it will swallow you whole. That leaves really only two options... AP (AuthenticProps) and TE2, or Trooper Expert v.2.

I'd personally go with the TE stuff, but I don't think Tony is making any at the moment. So with that said, I think AP is your only solution. Expect to still pay upwards of $900 when all is said and done.

I gotta learn to type faster!

TK-1536 beat me to the punch!

Jo-ann Fabrics has a small section in the back of their stores for upholstery foam. You can get either white (which eventually turns tan) or high density green. It comes in a variety of thickness from 1/2' to 4" and you can buy as little as you want.

Or go to K-Mart (or some other department store) and in the bedding linens section, you can find an egg crate foam matress pad for less than $15

To attach the foam to the armor, use E6000, Goop, or if you want to be super fancy, use the 3M spray adhesive (but it's a real mess to clean up if you overshoot!)

The armor you want is either TE2 (not available at this time) or AP. The FX armor is sized a little larger, and is not very accurate. I'm sure some other folks here on the board can give you contact information for AP.

Good luck!

Charlie

TI-386

Welcome to the board!

The above replies pretty much cover it. I'm 5'11" 150lbs and TE fits me great. Definately go for the TE2 or AP, expect to pay around $900 for armor, plus things like body suit, boots, blaster, and assembly materials like glue/straps/rivets, etc.

hey, thanks alot for all the responses. i appreciate it.

does anyone happen to have the contact information for TE or AP?

also, what type is the armor that TK409 has on his site (TK409.com) that is referred to as ANH Armor? is anyone familiar with that?

thanks again!

hey, thanks alot for all the responses. i appreciate it.

does anyone happen to have the contact information for TE or AP?

also, what type is the armor that TK409 has on his site (TK409.com) that is referred to as ANH Armor? is anyone familiar with that?

thanks again!

Ill got AP info, just email me. And ill send it to you. Yeahhhh....

I'm 5"11 and weigh around 150 lbs, and the AP armor fits me prettty good.

Granted, I had to glue some foam pieces in my gauntlets and thighs, and Mike also had to trim the thighs a good bit when helping me assemble my armor,but overall I'm really happy with it.