Backpack #3 - Informationthread

bigwam

In this thread you will soon be able to post information about the backpack #3. Original pictures, worth knowing, found parts and so on. It should help you build backpacks that are as accurate as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Allright, let´s get this started. By no means do I consider this to be complete nor without certain grey areas that can be lively discussed in this thread by you all as soon as I have finished this and it´s open to the public to be discussed.
First of all it has to be noted that there are different versions of this pack. These are worn by the following troopers (in order as they appear in the movie), here come the screen references:

1 Davin Felth in the "Look Sir, droids"-scene. Pack is still flawless in factory fresh shape/no tape/everything still holding together

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The "Move along"-captain, portrayed by the great Anthony Forrest in the roadblock scene. The pack is already starting to come apart, tape is used to hold it together. 

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

possibly also used by "Mr No-Brow"??? (he´s standing behind the trooper wearting pack#2) I think it´s possible because of the angle the radardish is mounted. 

8.jpg

The Cantina Captain. Tape is used and a labpipe has been added. 

9.jpg

9.jpg

The Captain in the Falcon-take-off-scene (spinning around). Looks like there´s even more tape used to hold the lower seed tray together, note that to me it seems that there is no more blue-grey visible on the right side of said tray. 

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Next post will be a breakdown of the the components of this specific pack. 

Cheers mates

• Like 3

• bigwam unlocked this topic

List of components:

1. "shotgunshells"/"capacitors": the source of this particular greeblie isn´t completely clear yet, 
    however, as long as it looks right, it will work, this can easily be self-built, you just need some kind of plastic tube - with a diameter of around 2cm - and fill it with epoxy or putty adding a little "antenna" at the front, for this you can use wire. Here are some screen references.

c4yix6dp.jpg
    dg2l73ne.jpg
    and this is what mine look like:
    3ktyeyod.jpg
    there´s obviously a black plastic plate between these shells and the seedtray, it was probably easier for the prop department to attach them this way. 
  • Like 2

List of components:

1. "shotgunshells"/"capacitors"
  2. mortartube: this part is originally a black plastic drain pipe for rainwater, the outside diameter is about 6,9 cm and the wall thickness is about 2mm. They are easy to source in the UK but hard to find in other countries, e.g. Germany.
    On my personal pack#3 the mortartube has a length of 75 cm. 
    The white ABS details are the same as you find them on the thermal detonator of the regular stormtroopers, pack #3 has two endcaps and the detail. While the original plastic drain pipe is shiny, the ones on the screen-used packs seem to be painted black with a satin finish. 
    Details: there should be some glue residue or paint runs, the Thermal Detonator detail is cut very crudely and there is supposed to be a hole just underneath the top endcap, probably it was used to secure the mortartube to the frame in the same position were the horizontal bar is. 
    Also note that the endcaps are quite thick.
  3. 17.jpg

List of components:

2. mortartube
  3. radardish backing plate: this part is easy to make yourself, I just took a 3mm sheet of black ABS, used a CD as my template and cut it out.
    rdswojlm.jpg
    The bolt which is used to attach the whole assembly to the mortartube could look like the one I´ve used. It´s also possible that it was one without those ridges for the screwdriver but it´s very hard to tell from screen references. 

List of components:

2. mortartube
  3. radardish backing plate
  4. radardish: Lid from Pitcher, Mod. 874 (Tupperware) - transparent 
    In the following picture, you can see the transparent one on the right and the white one on the left.

18.jpg

• Like 2

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
    If you look at the screen references you may notice that the lower bottle looks slightly wider in diameter that the upper bottle. Such bottles are easy to find, I always source them from my local diy store in the car section, mine are bottles containing dashboard wipes.
    6ufna8ty.jpg
    ksrh6k7b.jpg

In the following picture you can see the lower bottle with the larger diameter on the left and the upper bottle on the right.
    These bottles should look rather grey than blue, I recommend using RAL 7031 in a satin finish to paint them, in the states you should be able to find some battleship grey colour. 
    Note that the right one has already been weathered, thus the difference in colour.
    ecpfbxp9.jpg
  • Like 1

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap made of rubber (it´s also possible to use a vacformed cap, it just has to look the same and shouldn´t appear too shiny.
    vm9hgqc9.jpg
  • Like 2

• Hausi locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  7. Shires UP 90 vintage toiled syphon 
    Unfortunately prices are going sky-high for these vintage toilet parts at the moment... There were two variants of these syphons used in the film, one being the UP100 and the other one which you will find on this particular pack is the UP90, which is a tad bit shorter, this is what they look like:

Shires Siphon types - Field Backpack - Mos Eisley Police Department
    Shires Siphon 100 on ebay - Field Backpack - Mos Eisley Police ...
    Inexpensive replicas of the UP100 can be bought from Ross Walmsley from RWA Creations, they are made of HIPS, very light and sturdy but can be a handful to assemble. They have to be cut down to match the shape of the UP90 on this particular pack. Some of the original syphons had "Made in England" written on them but the version on pack#3 doesn´t, either it was the version without the writing or they just covered said writing with some tape in order not to spoil the illusion. :sweat:
    Remember to get the angle right and by any means, don´t cut off the threaded section at them bottom as it is visible in the film. 

• Like 1

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger" - this part hasn´t been identified yet, but feel free to use whatever you want as long as it looks right, cable or tube...
    The outer diameter should be around 1,5 cm. The lower end seems to be cut at an angle as I have done with my own pack:
    20211024-181308.jpg
    How you want to attach it to the Gio´Style bottle is up to you, with my second pack, I have used thick EVA foam, punched out a hole with the same diameter as the tube and glued the "beestinger" in. I then cut the remaining  foam to the right size to fit into the lower part of the canteen, which I had freed of its innards previously. See more on that in the next point about the canteen. 
  • Like 1

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle - I think most people believe this to be a canteen sold by the Italian company Gio´Style in the seventies, it´s called the "Safari 600" and original vintage bottles can still be found for a reasonable price on ebay. If you are too lazy too go for a treasure hunt, there´s also a modern version by a company called "Lionstar" which looks almost identical, here´s a comparison pic:
    kc3lw5s2.jpg
    These Lionstar canteens are available through our own member of the command staff M4vrick, feel free to contact him. 

The best way to attach the beestinger is to take the outer shell apart and remove the inner bottle, be aware that the styrofoam inside, which is meant to keep stuff warm and cold, will be quite messy to remove. Use a screwdriver and gentle force to take it apart, a heat gun might be useful too, to loosen the glue. 
    The canteen will be attached to the lower grey seedtrays via an aluminium bracket, this is easy enough to make yourself. Look at the dimensions carefully to get the adjustment right. I have used a threaded rod of the size M4, drilled holes into the bottle and attached it to the bracket using some lock nuts. 
    I guess the paint scheme of the bottle itself is quite clear. The bracket should be painted satin/matte black with some of the paint being scratched off. Please look at the reference pics again. 
  • Like 2

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  10. Karrimor aluminium backpack frame
    The frames used on the Sandtroopers´packs (and later reused for the rebelscum soldiers on Hoth in ESB) are widely believed to be Karrimor Totem frames 
    The Scottish Mountain Heritage Collection Objects Items

However, there were other variants as well at that time which look very similar, e.g. the Karrimor Annapurna, Karibou or the K2

Karrimor Images
    vintage Karrimor Rucksacks | Karrimor rucksack, Red rucksack, Rucksack
    Vintage 1980s Karrimor Caribou Series Rucksack... - Depop

Compared to the Totem, these afore mentioned have larger diameter tubing. All of them are suitable for our packs but be sure to have the right shape at the bottom. 

You don´t even have to find a real Karrimor frame, some people have just build their own form PVC tubing, I especially like this approach a lot and this would also work for SWAT:Some of these frames were bent to accomodate the seedtrays. This is especially noticeable on pack#3:
    u7rlwn4g.jpg
    As you may noticed, it looks like those guys from the props department didn´t pay too much attention to getting a nice and tidy bend but rather seem to have used brute force. I personally have tried to recreate this look by bending the frame over a step on my balcony:sweat: and I also know of other people having done the same. But be careful not to break a precious vintage frame!

This is what that bend looks like on my own pack:

oiaeav57.jpg

Depending on what frame you can get, you will most probably have to cut it down in length. I can´t really tell you how tall it should be as this again will depend on the seedtrays you are using. 

Now some frames come with these end caps (as did mine before I changed it):2y2je3ub.jpg

But if one stuties the reference material carefully, you will notice that they should look like the white ones on this pack:

za623u32.jpg
    v2btkl74.jpg

Even if your frame didn´t come with the correct version, they are easy to replace and can be found at hardware stores, just look for some end caps to protect the legs of your chairs or your floor:

5nv36nas.jpg

If you look at those screen references closely, you can also identify some very characteristic scratches on the frame, where the black paint has come off and reveals the aluminium underneath. Of course these would have to be emulated for SWAT as well. 

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  11. Sonix Victory 75 radio
    It´s either this or the Northstar version of this radio (same radio, just a different company). Here are some comparison shots courtesy to Bigwam and M4vrick:
    x34ye4i6.jpg

Many more pictures of the Sonix can be found in this thread:

The radio on pack#3 has been spraypainted black and is secured to the pack with wire as seen in the reference pictures. 

If you don´t want to go on a treasure hunt and spend a whole lot of money on an original, Sandie Comms and Sonixworld make great and accurate kits.

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  12. Seedtrays
    On pack#3 the upper seedtrays have 3 ribs while the lower trays have 5. As these were trays to plant your plants in, they might have had holes for the water to drain. I couldn´t really tell from the references so haven´t added them to mine. 
    BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides: Today in your garden - Ethical ...

New vacformed seedtrays can be bought from several makers, e.g. RWA creations.

Depending on what version of pack#3 you want to build, the seedtrays should be perfectly assembled with NO duct tape holding them together:

c4yix6dp.jpg

or the lower seedtrays almost falling apart, held together by black duct tape: on the right side at least one wide strap at the top and a narrow strap at the bottom, it´s also possible that this was also a wide strap as at the top and just looks narrow as it goes around the edge of the tray. 

dg2l73ne.jpgcy8j8f8p.jpg

This is what it looks like on my pack:

6l69hhpd.jpg

On the left side you can see three narrow straps of duct tape:

nzkld6v3.jpg

The one at the bottom has the the upper left edge crinkled, here´s my pack:

2n6lenz8.jpg

The gap between the trays on the left side is much more noticeable than on the right side, I found the easiest way to emulate this was using a self-made aluminium frame to which the seedtrays as well as the radio and syphon are attached:

ll4bvh9y.jpg

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  12. Seedtrays
  13. Brexton Box
    These boxes can be found in picnic baskets.

Details about Vintage Brexton Picnic Basket Hand Made In England ...

There are actually two different variants of them which vary in shape: 

26694a37d0f2ec1f73db30859eb0c590.jpg

I for one think that they have used the version on the right but let´s also know what you think.

There is a "cross" of narrow duct tape across this box and on the visible left side there´s some weird shape which might be overspray of bluish grey or even the box´s original color, it´s very hard to tell from screen caps. 

a7mi5fbs.jpg

I personally think that some parts around the edges look brighter than the rest, which looks just bluish grey to me, so I tried to emulate those areas by sanding down the paint again until the bright plastic of the Brexton box showed. 

h7zpkrnz.jpg

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  12. Seedtrays
  13. Brexton Box
  14. Toilet plunger cap (same as number 6)
  15. greyish-blue bottle 
    same colour as number 5 but at least to my eyes it seems to be slightly smaller in diameter than the lower bottle. 
  16. exhaust port
    now I think this wasn´t any found part but just something quickly put together by the prop guys to look interesting. 
    Here´s the best reference pic I could find:

2y39s2jy.jpg

these is one detail which is relatively easy to build yourself. I have built mine from wood (main body), ABS U-shaped tube for the feet, different diameters of ABS tube (the actual end piece of the exhaust is 2,3 cm in (outer) diameter, while the smaller diameter tube is 2 cm in (outer) diameter and from what I can see,it exits the main body at an angle and then there´s a bend before the straight part with the actual exhaust begins. This is really easy to recreate with wood:

k3rnhy2q.jpg
    txacz7m8.jpg
    34x82no2.jpg

I think these pics are worth more than many words and may help you to build your own. finally I have used wire as well as some head-shrink rubber to get the look of the center section of the tube right and finally added the hose clamp, make sure that it faces in the right direction. 

List of components:

2. mortartube
  4. radardish
  5. greyish-blue bottle
  6. toilet plunger cap
  8. "beestinger"
  9. Gio´Style bottle
  12. Seedtrays
  13. Brexton Box
  14. Toilet plunger cap (same as number 6)
  15. greyish-blue bottle 
  16. exhaust port
  17. two red support straps
    These were on the original Karrimor frames if you can remember the pictures:

Rare and Classic Vintage Karrimor Orienteer Backpack Rucksack with ...

These are about 55cm long and 10 cm wide and made from red synthetic fabric (not canvas).
    I was never lucky enough to find the correct shape of frame with those red support straps, so I bought a different frame with the wrong shape only to get the support straps. :sweat:
    This is it:

ew27ojas.jpg

This is the original vintage support strap, there are two aluminium bars at each end and some white shoelace is used to tie it together: 

8dvtkxo4.jpg

meyew33k.jpg

The frame was probably spraypainted satin black with these straps still on it, that´s why they also got some black paint and don´t stick out that much anymore. 

• Hausi unlocked this topic

Sorry but I disagree with point 16, I think this is something out there in the wild though not one piece, but made up of a couple of bits - piped bit and the base. Cobbling something like that would have taken far more effort than to have something at hand. It's just something no one has yet identified.

• 1 month later...

Ooooh my! I got what I ask for!!!!!

it is amazing the details of this pack! But I am an artist myself! What a challenge! I am in the states hopefully I can find some of the exact parts. I know I will have to order some. It will take time to build this! But with the info u have giving me it a step closer to the finish line! It will be a great accomplishment! I know it will be a while before I can be part and be approved by MEPD but all things are possible! Patience, patience and more Patience... Then the next step is the E11 wow! “Is like that song from the first Rambo “First Blood” “It’s a Long Road” haha! (Just a side comment, sorry)

But my Sandie is almost ready! So is a step by step thing! I thank God for u and the rest of the team!

God bless!

You're welcome Cesar:salute:

Just get your armor ready for 501st basic approval, which should be a walk in the park for you as your gear already looks great, you don't even need a pack or blaster for that as these are just optional accessories. While waiting for your clearance, you can already start gathering part for the pack. That's at least the way I did it. 

Cheers mate

No worries mate, I reckon you are from the States, so which state are you from? Find out what your local 501st garrison is and get on their forum/website, there you should find a description how it works, normally you'll take picture and send them attached to an email to the given email address. At least that the way it works in Germany. Then you will have to wait and see if they are happy with your gear or if they want you to make adjustments. 

Also be sure to have read the 501st costume reference library / CRL for this costume:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TD_sandtrooper