TM armor build aiming to swat

Sn4k3

18 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

Hey guys, how do you align these?, How do you know how much do you have to cut from the sides?

Line up the bottoms. Don't cut anything off the sides until you have test fitted them. Make sure they can slide up and down your arm freely, then you know you have it sized right :)

Simple. Just use whatever you have. Some of the original strips are at least 20mm wide on the arms, so there is not go-to measurement.
Alright... I did the measurement and the strips are 15mm, this is how it looks (is being hold together by magnets).

By the way, i saw the photos of the full stormtrooper armor in your fb page, it looks great, I'm looking forward to see mor pictures.

a71375be32e934a24fe9849060a74ff7.jpg9923b58a5140aa7f638ed5f2728a6e69.jpg650b48f8c06363a2dbce09ed18ec28f0.jpgeb180daef2b0e990e7ce6d96f02ca330.jpg

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Line up the bottoms. Don't cut anything off the sides until you have test fitted them. Make sure they can slide up and down your arm freely, then you know you have it sized right
I can definitely slide my arm there, but i dont want to be too big neither

Where the two halves meet and they don't match up perfectly, simply blend the return edge to nothing.
xUabrF7.jpg
Alright@troopermaster

I'm building a mannequin, with my shape to use for measuring the pieces, in a few days it will be ready

Stand by for pics

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay@troopermaster i promised some pics and here they are, the mannequin gave me more trouble than expected, and still is not 100% done.

This is what i have so far, now I'm working on the shoulder bells, I'm figuring out how much to cut under and from the sides888b74f1f76fbd19c9d05012394710a1.jpg4de23583c902cc8932c23f4cd91da36a.jpg7c66b26830210f5f7ca4981f030af956.jpg968bdefc3d66f949d7f805470604d343.jpg9f156bc9411309f2e89bcf59d24a4498.jpg

Loving the mannequin!

In regards to the shoulder bells, I guess you can leave as much or as little return edge as you like. The shape of the bells is pretty much laid out so trim off the edge just before it starts to flare out. That will give you a good base point. One major thing not to do is trim them flat, as in when they are laid on a flat surface they don't lay flay. That's where almost everyone makes a mistake. They want to end up something like this.

bONq7FI.jpg

gC48ETp.jpg

• Like 1

jejeje yeah is very useful have a mannequin with your body shape, or close to.

now, with the bells that you suggest (trim off the edge just before it starts to flare out) is exactly what i did,  im finishing now (or sort of finishing) the forearm piece and arm to show you how does it look in relation to the torso 

55 minutes ago, troopermaster said:

If you build all the parts to the original sizes it will look phenomenal :D

i think my body allow the original sizes, but i have no idea what those sizes are, im kind of guiding myself by the pictures of tour build, that ona you send to germany

i want my armor to look well proportionated each piece with the rest

The arms are pretty straight forward as they have a flattish edge on both sides where you glue your joining strips to. The legs don't have a flat edge on the back side but I can supply measurements that should help everyone with their armour. Hang on. I'll be back 
Im working on the thighs right now, And yes, I'm having trouble sizing on the back, and i think the same is gonna be with the shins

I just measured my suit and these measurements are taken at the very top and bottom of each part.

Shoulder bell: 300mm long - 300mm wide

Bicep outer: Top 190mm  - bottom 170mm

Bicep inner: Top 175mm - bottom 155mm

Forearm outer: Top 165mm - bottom 135mm

Forearm inner: Top 165mm - bottom 135mm

Thigh outer: Top 270mm - bottom 200mm

Thigh inner: Top 350mm - bottom 250mm

Calf outer: Top 210mm - bottom 160mm

Calf inner: Top 210mm - bottom 160mm

Use these measurements as guides only. They will fit someone with a medium to slim build but always double check the fit before you cut anything. If you need more specific details, just let me know. 

• Like 2

Jmm i did the sizing in the edges the top with the flat raised ridge is easy, now, the one on the other side is the tricky one (the one in the pic) i thought that flat space was supposed to be there but i had my suspicious that maybe i was wrong, and i was!

My measures right now for the forearm
Forearm outer: Top 180mm - bottom 140mm

Forearm inner: Top 175mm - bottom 140mm

No wonder why it looks too thick

This below is the same pic with a 15mm cover strip as a reference for size, in the place where i was planning to glue it, i guess now plans have changed, so, i just have to remove the flat area and proceed gluing the cover stripa361eab99385d384f7b2889045b976e7.jpg

If you use the measurements supplied, you should end up with half of a joining strip width of flat edge on the forearm.

I don't know if I have explained how to cut the flat edges as I am helping several people at once at the moment with the new armour, but you simply lay your joining strip onto the flat edge and mark the middle of the strip onto the armour, then draw a line between the marks and cut. Mark sure that you have a decent edge to glue the strip to all the way along the side of the part. They are pretty straight forward.

wFlyMyO.jpg

SQVySHu.jpg

If you use the measurements supplied, you should end up with half of a joining strip width of flat edge on the forearm.
I don't know if I have explained how to cut the flat edges as I am helping several people at once at the moment with the new armour, but you simply lay your joining strip onto the flat edge and mark the middle of the strip onto the armour, then draw a line between the marks and cut. Mark sure that you have a decent edge to glue the strip to all the way along the side of the part. They are pretty straight forward.

wFlyMyO.jpg
SQVySHu.jpg
I notice that the strip dies not cover the whole width of the flat area, i can do it

Hi guys, everything is being hold by blue painter's tape

So, What do you think?, Does is look good? I'm aiming to level 3,so.. is quite important that all the pieces look right now before gluing and even more after gluing everything.6498841520cc124b15a29936e1053454.jpg8c823aeae585670e567814f40f4d3706.jpg

Hey Daniel, I think you've done a great job already trimming those parts, it seems to be a good fit and suits you well. :duim: 

The shoulder bells look a little large, especially your right one but maybe that's just because the strapping is still missing, so I wouldn't trim any further right now, just leave it as it is and as soon as you have put the arms together and connected them to the bells, have a look at it again. 

Maybe you could push your thighs down a little... or pull up the whole chest and abdomen a little higher to achieve a little more space in between the abdomen/butt and the thighs, you will need it to be able to walk comfortably. 

• Like 1

Hey Daniel, I think you've done a great job already trimming those parts, it seems to be a good fit and suits you well. :duim: 
The shoulder bells look a little large, especially your right one but maybe that's just because the strapping is still missing, so I wouldn't trim any further right now, just leave it as it is and as soon as you have put the arms together and connected them to the bells, have a look at it again. 
Maybe you could push your thighs down a little... or pull up the whole chest and abdomen a little higher to achieve a little more space in between the abdomen/butt and the thighs, you will need it to be able to walk comfortably. 
Hello@Hausi ! thanks for your reply it always help to have some insight from mor experienced builders.

Is hard to place the pieces correctly without any helper that know a bit how is supposed to look the armor, also, blue painter's tape is not the best way.

I think the shoulder bell look like thay because is loose there is nothing that holds it in place, but i will try the armor again after i put the straps and will see if more trimming is needed, as you suggested

I can definitely lower the thighs, pull up the ab plate is gonna be hard since the lower part is right there in my groin, the but plate is, also, right there in my.. you know,

Is the kindey plate too close to the butt plate?, I thought it was supposed to be like that, in fact i think is to separated from the back plate, isn't?

• Like 1