3d print canteen question

Robster

Depends on how good or bad the print is. If it's quite rough, I usually sand with something like a 120 grit first to take the surface back and smooth it out some before either a using putty or spray putty. If the print is pretty good already maybe something like 360 grit just to help out the spray putty layer.  Once you have smoothed the spray putty layer you should be on easy street.  Just remember to keep the heat down while sanding though, I tend to wet sand these early layers more often than not.  Hope it helps 

That looks pretty good from where I am sitting. Quick run over with a 360 grit wet/dry before a coat of spray putty, another sand with say 400 or 600 grit wet dry then a filler primer coat, sand and you should be ready to go for paint 

I haven't got much experience with 3D printing but I think the shape of the canteen looks good. But why are there these indentations in the top and bottom part? They should actually be smooth while the main body normally has a structured surface on the original Gio'style canteens. Maybe you could emulate that by using special paint. 

thank you hausi i will make sure to fill those in, not sure why they are there but i will fill and smooth out.  As far as the structured surface i will start working on that and see what i can come up with..