New and confused on the Mimban, Sandtrooper and HW Trooper differences

Whiskey_Tango

Hello everyone, I'm new and a bit lost.  I hope this isn't too random of a question.  I thought I wanted to do a Sandtrooper but have some questions after being (nicely) talked out of this plan.   It was suggested I do a Heavy Weapons trooper that can be weathered with charcoal dust, have a heavy blaster and a back pack but still have the drop boxes and can clean up to be a clean TK Stormtrooper for blending in with a group, or for when a back back is a hassle, say at a large convention with crowded floors. 

I have a new in box AM armor set.  Like I said I planned on doing a Sandtrooper but thought that a Sandy and a Mimban trooper were the same really but with different weathering and backpacks.  I know now this is not correct. 

I then realized that the Mimban Troopers have a different "Rogue One" helmet that is semetrical and has recessed chin bar stripes as well as a blast shield on the helmet.  The Mimban CRL also has drop boxes, which Sandtroopers do not have obviously.  If I build a weathered trooper with a ANH helmet and it has drop boxes am I painted into a corner where I cannot be anything other than a HWT?

I guess what I'm asking is, what can I actually do with my AM armor kit?  I am from the Pacific Northwest where is always muddy and the Mimban fits the best looks wise in my mind, and freaking love the troopers gear and poncho.  Can my AM ANH kit be a Mimban Trooper if I get a different helmet?  

I'm kind of overwhelmed, I thought I have this all figured out.  What are my options with this kit and should I stick with a Heavy Weapons Trooper/Vanilla ANH Stormtrooper?  

On 10/9/2019 at 1:19 PM, Whiskey_Tango said:

Hello everyone, I'm new and a bit lost.  I hope this isn't too random of a question.  I thought I wanted to do a Sandtrooper but have some questions after being (nicely) talked out of this plan.   It was suggested I do a Heavy Weapons trooper that can be weathered with charcoal dust, have a heavy blaster and a back pack but still have the drop boxes and can clean up to be a clean TK Stormtrooper for blending in with a group, or for when a back back is a hassle, say at a large convention with crowded floors. 

I have a new in box AM armor set.  Like I said I planned on doing a Sandtrooper but thought that a Sandy and a Mimban trooper were the same really but with different weathering and backpacks.  I know now this is not correct. 

I then realized that the Mimban Troopers have a different "Rogue One" helmet that is semetrical and has recessed chin bar stripes as well as a blast shield on the helmet.  The Mimban CRL also has drop boxes, which Sandtroopers do not have obviously.  If I build a weathered trooper with a ANH helmet and it has drop boxes am I painted into a corner where I cannot be anything other than a HWT?

I guess what I'm asking is, what can I actually do with my AM armor kit?  I am from the Pacific Northwest where is always muddy and the Mimban fits the best looks wise in my mind, and freaking love the troopers gear and poncho.  Can my AM ANH kit be a Mimban Trooper if I get a different helmet?  

I'm kind of overwhelmed, I thought I have this all figured out.  What are my options with this kit and should I stick with a Heavy Weapons Trooper/Vanilla ANH Stormtrooper?  

Let me start by saying you bought a great kit. I have AM armor and love it. I was at the same point as you 1.5 years ago as far as Heavy Weapons trooper va Sandtrooper. I went Sandtrooper and do not regret it at all. As far as the backpack, remember Sandtroopers do NOT have to have one for basic approval. I did mine with none. I am going to build one this winter and go for level 2 approval. But unlike the Heavy Weapons trooper you can troop with or without the back pack! That was huge for me, and I can’t imagine ever wanting to troop as a vanilla ANH TK, so boring, lol. As far as the Mimban, they do look super cool, but, I just don’t have enough knowledge to comment, hopefully someone else will chime in.

• Like 1

Let me start by saying you bought a great kit. I have AM armor and love it. I was at the same point as you 1.5 years ago as far as Heavy Weapons trooper va Sandtrooper. I went Sandtrooper and do not regret it at all. As far as the backpack, remember Sandtroopers do NOT have to have one for basic approval. I did mine with none. I am going to build one this winter and go for level 2 approval. But unlike the Heavy Weapons trooper you can troop with or without the back pack! That was huge for me, and I can’t imagine ever wanting to troop as a vanilla ANH TK, so boring, lol. As far as the Mimban, they do look super cool, but, I just don’t have enough knowledge to comment, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Mimban here. The ability to go with or without a backpack is indeed huge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Harenatrooper said:

I didn't realize I could go with out the backpack!  Wow well that helps.

I'm starting to build my kit and the plastic is so incredibly glossy I'm going to have a hard time weathering it!  It's incredible quality.  Does the Sandtrooper weathering process damage the armor at all?  Is it reversible?  The armor is so nice I don't know if I can screw it up on purpose.

20 minutes ago, Whiskey_Tango said:

I didn't realize I could go with out the backpack!  Wow well that helps.

I'm starting to build my kit and the plastic is so incredibly glossy I'm going to have a hard time weathering it!  It's incredible quality.  Does the Sandtrooper weathering process damage the armor at all?  Is it reversible?  The armor is so nice I don't know if I can screw it up on purpose.

HelmetIMG_3732

This is my AM. All weathering done with Liquitex water based acrylic paints.

It is more difficult to weather acrylic capped glossy armor, you will just have to give it several washes with watered down acrylics. 

Be aware that if you sand down the gloss, the weathering will be easier to apply but it will also be difficult to remove or change. 

• 3 months later...

Welcome aboard!  One thing you might want to consider in the HWT/vs/Sandie calculations is that the HWT backpack is VERY specific. There is only one version of it, and no deviation allowed.

With the Sandie backpacks you have 5 "as seen on screen" options, and you can even build one that is similar to the screen versions but isn't dead accurate. So you've got a little more wiggle room in finding parts.
And, as others have said, you don't need a pack for initial approval. Lots of us go armor first and then take our time building the packs later once we're trooping. It took me almost 2 years to finish my pack.