Plainsrunner Mimban TK submitted for Legion approval

Plainsrunner

Hey everyone!    Since May I've been working on a Mimban trooper using Jim Tripon's kit.   This week I submitted the photos for approval.

The first big task was to complete the Rogue One TK as shiny and perfect as I could manage.   My logic was that if I wanted the weathering to look correct, I would create the outfit the way it would be prior to weathering as perfectly as I could, and THEN apply the weathering.

Example of the beautiful paint job prior to Mimban deployment:

fGhbnZo.jpg

And here is a before and after of the helmet:

qFBWzYV.jpg

• Like 1

So the tricky part of this build was getting the weathering right.    I came up with an interesting process for mine that just happened to turn out looking right (at least to me).    

1.  MIST Plastidip onto the armor and immediately wipe with a dry paper towel.   This makes the plastidip spread out and stick unevenly.    It also provides a texture.

2.  Create a mixture of grey acrylic, chalk paint sealer wax (dark), and Mars black acrylic paint to darken just a tad

3.   Use a brush to spread on this mixture over sections of the plastidip treated armor and IMMEDIATELY wipe and blot with a dry paper towel.   This will cause it to stick to some sections more and some less.    

Why not. The armor is nearly the same than from the R1-Jedha Sandtrooper. A few small things should be added and changed.Are you interested in writing down the additional requirements and help to create the CRL´s for this trooper?? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bigwam said:

Why not. The armor is nearly the same than from the R1-Jedha Sandtrooper. A few small things should be added and changed.Are you interested in writing down the additional requirements and help to create the CRL´s for this trooper?? 

Sure!

• 6 months later...

Darthcue, since the Jimmy kit shins are clam shell, Plainsrunner put elastic inside connecting the two halves so they swing freely open on the front seam and can spread on the back seam. Plainsrunner, when you have a moment, can you shoot some pics of the shins inside to show this?

• Like 1

So it's velcro in the back (so it can be separated to put it on), and the front inside is held snug by elastic strips.   However the elastic transfers the stress of clamshelling  the armor to the elastic instead of putting it on the armor.    If you glue the front, the stress may cause cracks. 

To emphasize:   the only thing holding the front together are glued elastic strips (with E6000).   They hold snug and you can't tell it's not glued.  

• Like 2