Welshchris77's pack build

welshchris77

As I’m building another pack I don’t have that much reference at hand right now but on this pack the bottle looks slightly smaller in diameter than the first ridge on the plunger...

CE24-E0-C8-8827-4-BF0-8-DD0-23705-D4-DDB

Sorry, I turned this picture sideways to fit better on my IPad screen...   :whistling:

7 hours ago, RoCKo said:

As I’m building another pack I don’t have that much reference at hand right now but on this pack the bottle looks slightly smaller in diameter than the first ridge on the plunger...

CE24-E0-C8-8827-4-BF0-8-DD0-23705-D4-DDB

Sorry, I turned this picture sideways to fit better on my IPad screen...   :whistling:

Yes agreed Roger, I guess there are many variables concerned with the various parts sizes used on the screen used packs, great reference picture by the way! :duim:

16 minutes ago, RoCKo said:

This is what I used on mine...

IMG-3544.jpg

which looks on my upcoming backpack like this...

IMG-4120.jpg

(Still a WIP, Most parts were updated lately... I will post a thread sooner or more probably later!) ;)

Awesome Roger, do you know what diameter across the bottle is?

That pack is looking fantastic by the way!

Thanks, I’m getting there but still hunting for original vintage parts!

I have little hope finding the Sonix for a reasonable price but all other parts I can get!

All my projects are always a long-time odyssey...   :P

My Bosch bottle is 9,2 cm diameter and around 20 height

I tried measuring the bottle in Photoshop when I got my plungers and knew the correct diameter.

I came out between minimum 9 cm and maximum 10 cm diameter, depending on picture, shadowing and visibility.

It took me ages to find a bottle which also has the correct “Boston neck”  ( which can be barely seen when plunger attached) but I’m a accuracy nut!  :engel:

Laboratory chemical bottles are also a really nice substitute imho...

( on the left, Bosch bottle on the right)

IMG-3656.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoCKo said:

Thanks, I’m getting there but still hunting for original vintage parts!

I have little hope finding the Sonix for a reasonable price but all other parts I can get!

All my projects are always a long-time odyssey...   :P

My Bosch bottle is 9,2 cm diameter and around 20 height

I tried measuring the bottle in Photoshop when I got my plungers and knew the correct diameter.

I came out between minimum 9 cm and maximum 10 cm diameter, depending on picture, shadowing and visibility.

It took me ages to find a bottle which also has the correct “Boston neck”  ( which can be barely seen when plunger attached) but I’m a accuracy nut!  :engel:

Laboratory chemical bottles are also a really nice substitute imho...

( on the left, Bosch bottle on the right)

IMG-3656.jpg

Your projects are outstanding and you attention to detail and research are commendable, I think you are right about the dimensions of the bottle.

would you have a link to those Laboratory chemical bottles, they look good also, I guess they are 1000ml capacity the same as the brake fluid?.

Thanks for sharing the pictures they are great!

This is my order on amazon.de but at least here in Germany the site/item isn’t available atm.

But it definitely is a 1000ml bottle and the neck form is called “Boston neck” or “Boston round”

B23-F1777-81-FE-4-E29-AEB3-15-B19-FEDB91

and here are both bottles with plungers on...

IMG-3657.jpg

I decide to go with the Bosch bottle as I didn’t like the bottom of the lab bottle iirc, but that’s just my monkish attitude again...    :confused:

• Like 1

This is my order on amazon.de but at least here in Germany the site/item isn’t available atm.

But it definitely is a 1000ml bottle and the neck form is called “Boston neck” or “Boston round”

B23-F1777-81-FE-4-E29-AEB3-15-B19-FEDB912.jpg

and here are both bottles with plungers on...

IMG-3657.jpg

I decide to go with the Bosch bottle as I didn’t like the bottom of the lab bottle iirc, but that’s just my monkish attitude again...    dark_confused.gif

It is great the information and termanology we learn while researching these items, Boston neck, Boston round etc, very interesting!, I will do a bit of rooting around and see what is available

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Shouldn’t be too hard to find something close enough and unless a lot of other vintage parts used for props in Star Wars, I guess the 100% correct screenused bottles will never be found since no backpack survived filming in Tunisia...

Shouldn’t be too hard to find something close enough and unless a lot of other vintage parts used for props in Star Wars, I guess the 100% correct screenused bottles will never be found since no backpack survived filming in Tunisia...

Sad to think the screen used packs probably ended up in a landfill or buried under a sandune

The RS suit was pulled from a skip outside the studio

Found some cheap bottles today, not the most accurate in some ways but slightly wider than the shampoo/conditioner bottles which were 83mm, these are 90mm diameter.

I might go with these for now and upgrade if I find anything better in the meantime.

The height works out to roughly 130mm with the lid attached and 120mm without the lid (including the mushroom cap).

Does that sound about right?

10e600b665333338d966ee5e7efbbdb0.jpg831bba4d3ade94650c99297de6457162.jpg

@Marv

This is my interpretation of the “filter” seen on this specific pack.    :P

I build it from scratch taking measurements from the available reference pictures.

I used flexible rubber hose around a cylindrical card bord box.

Since this picture I adjusted the size to a slightly bigger diameter and a few cm heights.

• Like 1

Wet sanded the bottles with 400 grit ready for primer and top coat and ground down a 6mm coach bolt to use as a fixing for the top bottle, I might make the head of the bolt smaller so that it is less visible

b20b055db3974d4c68e4e870ef825db2.jpg611b89009c7072075bf993262d52a8a4.jpgf8e96948033bd2fe890472fb296184b4.jpgdf9761df4664b5ac5f447a984bbf6832.jpgfd5e982d1e9a8b1a425ffd3130ec113f.jpg53d145860beeabbdf19f64f8c6746c98.jpg

Here is the best picture I have showing the visible head of the bolt on top of the upper bottle... Hope this helps...    

IMG-2638.jpg

Thanks Roger, another great shot, I have since ground down the bolt head more  

922d7d73ad3090db8defaaa987cc88ae.jpg

8707987c2e89726979ddb3e301adf91d.jpg

Got my seed trays and mortar tube parts from Ross, yay!, cleaned up the edges and temporarily tapped them together.
Tested them on the frame and they are a great fit.
Next I cut and bent the frame, i did a comparison shot, hopefully I got the shape right.

abc60210dd5fcf987a1acd9344d1525b.jpgdda6f85fdfad2e2942382e3ed3768526.jpgc5335b824adb975e7c0c9d3917bcd136.jpg186a5859def57472cf65376b9b8e5aeb.jpg

Chris what frame did you get? I've two and both seem to large - in terms of where the lowest cross beam goes.
Hey John, I got a vintage Karrimor Karbou (blue/green) series aluminium frame hiking bag from Ebay