Potenital Armour WIP?

Mk5656

So, I ordered this sandtrooper armour last week, it arrived as shown:

O6IKhO3.jpg

(please excuse the toes.)

So it all appears to be sandtrooper, apart from the helm which painfully is a black series. I ordered a pauldron from jedi-robe and weathered it, along with weathering the helm, and weathering/attatching the hand plates to the gloves. (i also have 2 mp40 pouches on the way.) and this is what ive come to (don't have a pic with pauldron on) :

v2Q1r7N.jpg

8G4bONp.jpg

Now, when buying this costume I wasn't actually intending for it to be 501st approved or anything, but it seems like it could actually be close and it sure would be cool to join. Concerns are:

1.)The previous owner has maybe weathered it too much/not up to scratch. - Some armour pieces seem discoloured eg chest vs shoulders, and there isn't a brilliant gradient of  weathering bottom to top.

2.) THE HELMET- is it worth installing new lenses,  using a putty or something for the god awful audio holes and battery slide at the back then sanding/painting, and changing the paint for trapezoids ect or should I just source another?

(also I am aware in the images the boots are meant to be covered at the top by the shin plates, along with the straps I have hanging out of my chest piece but those are easy fixes.)

Any input would be totally appreciated :) - and if anythings a super major issue don't be afraid to just shoot me down, I get the big deal the 501st makes about accuracy and if this doesn't/wont even with work make the cut its cool by me- but im totally down to put some work in, as I stated earlier this wasn't my intention but considering how cool ya'll are I couldn't help but be curious :p

Hi Morgan, I can already say that you have the right size and built to become a cool Sandtrooper too. The Armor seems to fit quite well. 

Now if I have a closer look at your gear, I will have to point out some major issues/concerns. 

First of all your helmet: the black series helmet can't be used to build an A New Hope Sandtrooper, not even when using putty to close those gaps/holes. 

If you want to use it for building a trooper as seen in Rogue one (Jedha) or Solo (Mimban) it's okay, but then you will need a different armor as those troopers' armor is considerably different. 

Your present armor also wouldn't work for the original A New Hope Sandtroopers as it uses the overlap method to join the two halves (e.g. The thighs or shins) which was only later on used in Return of the Jedi and not the required but joint and coverstrip method. 

However, you now that there are still the special edition sandtroopers, added later to the movie and your armor would mostly work for that kind of trooper, here's an example of someone planning to create this trooper:

So you would probably have to change some things on your armor and you would need a new Return of the Jedi style helmet. 

Hope this helps, take your time to do some research and don't give up the hope of joining the 501st, it's not as difficult as you might think. 

Cheers mate. :salute:

Okay after loots of trawling, I've researched a bit through the limited info, as I understand it from the CRL (that isn't official yet) if I wanted to turn what ive got into an SE style I would require a black pauldron instead of the orange I have, obtain a new helmet that fits the ROTJ, obtain dropboxes for my belt, and change the buttons on the front of the abdomen? (im not sure if that last ones correct its all very confusing with the debate between armour style acceptability). I also saw that to my knowledge there isn't a completed set? I would be more than happy to try my hand at making at least the barebones of the requirements for PO with a little advice on exactly what I need to change, Thanks for the reply Sir! 

-edit, my abdomen armour also seems significantly different to that of the CRLs description (front is not all one piece, and does not seem to have space for the above mentioned buttons, any help appreciated :)

I have to admit that I haven't spent too much time in getting to know all the nooks and crannies of those special edition troopers, I think the best advice is to get into contact with @MrFlavaFlave, he has already spent a lot of time in researching all the details of said trooper.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, you would also need a backpack. 

That's cool, ill just follow that thread and see where it goes, I'm in no rush. It would also appear that the CRL states the backpack is optional? Im assuming its for inclusion reasons but unsure because I don't think they're ever seen without? - looks like ive got some saving to do :p

Thanks for all the help! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mk5656 said:

That's cool, ill just follow that thread and see where it goes, I'm in no rush. It would also appear that the CRL states the backpack is optional? Im assuming its for inclusion reasons but unsure because I don't think they're ever seen without? - looks like ive got some saving to do :p

Thanks for all the help! 

All SE Sandtroopers are wearing a back pack, so it should not be optional. I hope you will follow along as I have just finished all the trimming and will be sanding this weekend.

3 hours ago, Mk5656 said:

Okay after loots of trawling, I've researched a bit through the limited info, as I understand it from the CRL (that isn't official yet) if I wanted to turn what ive got into an SE style I would require a black pauldron instead of the orange I have, obtain a new helmet that fits the ROTJ, obtain dropboxes for my belt, and change the buttons on the front of the abdomen? (im not sure if that last ones correct its all very confusing with the debate between armour style acceptability). I also saw that to my knowledge there isn't a completed set? I would be more than happy to try my hand at making at least the barebones of the requirements for PO with a little advice on exactly what I need to change, Thanks for the reply Sir! 

-edit, my abdomen armour also seems significantly different to that of the CRLs description (front is not all one piece, and does not seem to have space for the above mentioned buttons, any help appreciated :)

You will need ROTJ gloves and hand plates, a different sniper knee plate, and a black pauldron. I hope to have this done soon and best of luck on your armor. :td: