Build Thread Sandtrooper

Asvarus

Hey folks,

so today i finally received my DA Props Armor kit <3 Beautiful Kit !

May i introduce myself,

I´m Luke 22 years old, from Germany and want to become a Member of the 501st and be part of the MEPD! My goal is to achieve a PO with my armor :-)

I hope that you can help me newbie to reach my goals, so that we can troop together one day :-D

kind regards,

Luke

UfI7w0m.jpg

Pqfeql3.jpg

L0AlnLu.jpg

jParZws.jpg

SRDVbPX.jpg

EtaQVYM.jpg

CaWaRQu.jpg

PbxEwiy.jpg

Edit to Helmet : Do i have to add a mesh behind the Frown ? I also find, that the lenses arent dark enough, cause u can still see my eyes behind them :/ So i maybe have to change them, also i have to paint the Tubestripes by myself. 

Hi Luke und willkommen im MEPD! :salute:

Always great to see new future Sandtroopers from Germany. 

Your armor looks great, good choice. Always feel free to ask questions, you'll see that the MEPD is quite an active detachment and you can find all the answers here, just take your time to browse through all the interesting and informative threads first. 

You shouldn't add mesh behind the frown if you plan to go for PO as it's not screen accurate. Have a look at this thread where you find all the requirements for PO:

By really sticking to these rules you can avoid having to buy stuff twice or making any unnecessary mistakes. 

But first and foremost, take your time and enjoy your build. 

Looking forward to seeing your progress mate. 

• Like 1

Welcome here Luke!

Excellent, another Sandtrooper in Germany!
As Urs says, questions are answered at any time. If you need help, just contact us. If you want a higher level of film accuracy, build the trooper to reach level 2. Urs has already posted the link with the requirements. It just looks better, is more accurate and if you take it into account right from the start, the effort is not bigger.

There are many construction reports here that you can study. Also in the public forum www.501st.de in the sandtrooper section.

Good luck and best regards!

• Like 2

Alright thank´s a lot guys ! :duim:

Got to trim a lot of stuff, bit worried about it.. Just afraid of cutting to much away ..

But will study some other Build Threads, will help a lot i guess..

Will post the progress and questions in this thread ! :salute:

ps: are some of you guys at the Speyer Technik Museum next month i guess ?

cheers

I also have a 4 hour drive to Speyer but it's absolutely worth it, trust me, was also my first event I attended before becoming part of the 501st. When you spot us, come on over and speak to us. :salute:

Hey folks,

so i already started to trim Chest, Back, AB Plate, Kidney Plate and Butt Plate :duim:

Was kinda hard to spot the lines where i can cut off .. Worried about to cut off to much, but here is the result:

Chest

lTjLqYI.jpg?1

nTYwGTk.jpg

idHSY19.jpg

Do i have to cut this off ? on both sides ?

Back Plate:

aeEEJYk.jpg

CzJ8K8B.jpg

H6aT8u0.jpg

AB Plate:

MbBFbNY.jpg

RFNRMBV.jpg

Kidney Plate:

ahH7VTw.jpg

Butt Plate:

Ngwkcjm.jpg

What can i do better ?

Looks already really good Luke, good work. 

I have never worked on Andy's armor before but from the look of it, I think you can cut where the red line is. 

As far as the returnedges are concerned, in general less is more, because if you have a very large returnedge first it might be uncomfortable when trooping and second, it is a lot more prone to cracking. But don't cut away too much on the chest bottom returnedge as you will have to put the little screws there to emulate the original bracket strapping required for PO. 

You don't have to have this original type of bracket strapping but the screws will have to be there. 

• Like 1

Alright Urs,

i can leave the chest bottom returnedge  like this ?

Thinking of putting some kind of foam stripes inside the armor .. Inside the armor to make it more comfortable, as long as you can´t see them from outside its no problem ?

I think you can sand down the returnedge at the bottom of your chest a little more, the scews I'm talking about are really small. You can find them in the second picture in this thread, encircled in red. 

You can add foam on the inside of your armor wherever you like, as long as it remains invisible. I for example have added foam on my shins and thighs, to make it more comfortable but also to keep the sniper knee from getting stuck inside the thigh, works brilliantly. 

• Like 2

Alright mate, will send down tomorrow :duim:

Another question, can i follow the building instructions from Ross Walmsley via Youtube ( i know its a TK) but is it huge difference in terms off strapping, poppers and rivets ? I mean as long as i follow the PO CRL..

A lot to do and so much stuff, that i can do wrong haha..

Want to waste any materials or money

cheers,

appreciate your help guys 

Sure thing mate, Ross is an amazing guy and his tutorials are great. 

I haven't watched his TK tutorials but as long as you know what to pay attention to, it should be fine. 

I think such tutorial videos are especially useful to learn where to trim and how to glue. 

• Like 1

Some struggle with the Tubestripes ... Already finished one side, but color wasnt completly dry, when i put the helmet on my pants to paint the other side ... Fail 

To the moment before i was kinda happy with the result .. But now, wow .. Had to remove some paint

I mean, in my freetime i do also paint 28mm Tabletop figures, never was a problem for me to paint, but with that im struggling.

Don´t want to mess up more, trying to cover up some bad places with more weathering.

0MSQu6J.jpg

7LZBclr.jpg

Do i also have to paint the same amount of stripes on each side ?

Man, I've built and painted quite a lot of helmets but I still fear painting the tubestripes:sweat:

The Humbrol paint takes a long time to dry. Let it dry completely and then you can do a little touch-up work with some Ral 9016 (I've bought a little can at Obi for these occasions). After weathering, no one 's going to notice. 

As for the number of tubestripes, that' s up to you, you don't need the same number on both sides, the famous "Move Along" helmet for example has 16 stripes on the left side and 13 on the right. 

Nice work with the traps and tears. :duim:

• Like 1

Alright mate, to be honest i got that helmet already assembled and hand painted, just need to paint the tubestripes, cause he wanted to use decals for that. And i knew it wasnt accurate, so he didnt do them :D

Im kinda unhappy with the lenses, if i wear the helmet my nose touches the lenses, and they start to deform so that i have a gap in the eyes where u can look through..

You also can see my eyes through the lenses.

Also going to buy a smaller brush tomorrow and hope, that the other side will be better ..:duim:

• Like 1

Thanks bigwam ! Ordered some lenses from TM, hope the arrive soon :duim:

Little update, already some tests if it fits well .. So far so good for me, but the butt plate is unconfortable need to do some trimming haha...

Pretty happy with how it fits and hope  you guys can confirm it .. Cause im still afraid of trimming and cutting that abs armor haha.

So hyped now :peace:

set3O9h.jpg

8L9RJk7.jpg

S6D5A06.jpg

Lk5FLSp.jpg

Bought some glue, that i thought could be good for glueing my proppers inside armor etc.. But god, that didnt even worked good, so had to remove the glue.

Still waiting for order from Ross, that also includes some real deal glue, Pauldron and Canvas Belt.