Frame modifications

TD-1536

I started with the vintage Boy Scout back pack frame, but as I was trying make it as accurate as possible, I realized we need to REALLY hack this puppy up. Not only did I take off the top two posts (not shown) I found I needed to remove the two inner bars. Once I did that and test fitted the main boxes, I found that the foot stuck out waaaay too far. So, I cut off 1.5 inches (you could even go 2in. or 2.5in) to make it workable. I wanted to leave the skinny bar there to attach the 'Bee Stinger' to, but if you don't have that bar, go ahead and take off 2.5in., because that foot really shouldn't extend under the radio box or get in the way of the bellows manifold/gray bottle. Anyway, after reattaching the foot with internal dowels and a bunch of hot glue and Gorilla Glue, it was off to priming and painting. The frame was also bent in the middle by our resident metal-smith Rob Slater. Check out how nice and compact it is!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the pics - It was my plan to start work on mine this weekend and this of course changes everything. My question would be how to attach the boxes now that the crossbars are gone eh?

Thanks for the pics - It was my plan to start work on mine this weekend and this of course changes everything. My question would be how to attach the boxes now that the crossbars are gone eh?

The boxes now lay flush against the side bars... off the top of my head, I bet E6000 would do the trick. But, I'd like something a little more substantial.

Mike, I don't know if this will help at all, but here's a couple of pics of my pack in progress. I have a very different boy scout frame (from the late 60's I think), which already had the bend and has a slightly different bottom section. Who knows if it's THE frame (I tend to think it isn't since I had to trim the top off) but it's another piece to the puzzle.

-Tom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what I spent the last few hours doing...

Posted Image

Removed all the fun stuff

Posted Image

Thanks for the advice on this Mike. Pretty much did the same.

Posted Image

Used a wooden dowel ,E6000, and a couple screws countered into the frame to hold it all together. Went ahead and removed 2 inch including the center rod. I shall figure out another way to attach the stinger.

Primered the boxes and wipes while doing this. Bent it by filling with sand and over a 2x4. Very little distortion!!!

He Mike,

how did you make your antenna?

Thanks

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

The housing is vac-formed. The two wells on the sides where the screws are I cut from pieces of plastic. The exhaust pipe is made from: 1in. PVC pipe, a bit of vacuum hose, a piece of plastic from the handle of a master plunger, three zip ties and one hose clamp.

Dear Mike,

Is your antenna - from bottom to top - the Master Plunger (ribs) - the main body - the 1 inch PVC pipe, and the top the part from the vacuum hose? Do you know the name (company) of the vacuum hose and is that the top connector of the hose? Your antenna looks great.

thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Dear Mike,

Is your antenna - from bottom to top - the Master Plunger (ribs) - the main body - the 1 inch PVC pipe, and the top the part from the vacuum hose? Do you know the name (company) of the vacuum hose and is that the top connector of the hose? Your antenna looks great.

thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Here's a quick and dirty illustration...

Posted Image

Did any of you guys notice that there is 2 types of BoyScouts backpack Frames? - One frame has more bars across - and a thin bar across the bottom "step" that holds the pack's weight - and the second type has only 1 center bar across the back and a thick bar across the Bottome "step" that holds the pack's weight.

On your pack Mike - you have that thin bar on the bottom - on mine, that bar is thick like the ones that run across your back in the center of the pack.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Mike,

On your illustration below where you have "cut the pvc to this shape" I was wondering if you used an elbow where the pipe is angled (goes down into the housing)...? Also, how did you attach the pipe (antenna) to the main box?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Here's a quick and dirty illustration...

Posted Image

what about the angled part of the pvc...?

E6000 became mike´s best friend in the past few month! am i right, mike?

On this particular item, it's a combination of Devcon Epoxy and a nut and bolt.

Well, the way I did is just my interpretation... I'd recommend others try whatever works best for them. I often times do things "the hard way."

Essentially, I cut two pieces of PVC pipe to create that shape (you don't have to this, it's just what I did) and again, just used Devcon Plastic Welder... ideally, you'd want to use a special PVC glue, but it takes a long time to dry.