Is this sandtrooper suit up to SWAT or any other level MEPD requirements?

Ironclad

I am trying to buy a sandtrooper costume (because, unfortunately I don't have the time or experience to build one). However, I have made sure to try and find an accredited vendor that has a reputation of selling products that are up to 501st standard. I have found one called RS propmakers and this is the link to the costume page:

https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/sandtrooper/sandtrooper-suits/sandtrooper-fully-finished-commission/

The page includes all the specifics of the costume and all I would like to know is if this costume is up to 501st standards (also, if it reaches police or SWAT officer tier) before I order it.

I am trying to buy a sandtrooper costume (because, unfortunately I don't have the time or experience to build one). However, I have made sure to try and find an accredited vendor that has a reputation of selling products that are up to 501st standard. I have found one called RS propmakers and this is the link to the costume page:

https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/sandtrooper/sandtrooper-suits/sandtrooper-fully-finished-commission/
The page includes all the specifics of the costume and all I would like to know is if this costume is up to 501st standards (also, if it reaches police or SWAT officer tier) before I order it.
I have this exact costume built by RS. I thought like you that time/experience would be an issue but once you look at the kit you see how it goes together i felt like i could have had a go.

That aside, i reached PO with just a few adjustments if you want to look at my WIP/PO clearance pics.

RS use the original hook and strapping method they used in episode 4. This does cause some extra stress on the armour so i'd recommend replacing it with straps and poppers sooner rather than later. Ive had several cracks due to this. Their DLT-19 wont pass clearance either. No rear sight and the charging handle is in the wrong place. Its fixable but an added headache for an expensive comission.

I re threaded all the sewing also as it wasnt done properly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pioneer2184 has already mentioned most of the issues you can run into when choosing RS. 

Furthermore you will have to change the pouches on the ammobelt as RS provides canvas pouches while leather pouches are requested for PO clearance. Also you will have to add wire on the DLT-19's T-tracks. 

The RS backpack comes in the wrong blueish grey colour. 

RS provides complete commissions which have already been weathered but first of all the weathering isn't very durable and secondly, if you really decide to go for SWAT, you will have to weather the armor yourself as it is an extremely time-consuming process to emulate the weathering of a specific trooper seen on screen. 

That being said, RS's armor has real sreen-lineage, looks excellent when done right and they seem to be a bunch of nice guys and gals. 

I've build one of their helmets and was really happy with it. 

Pioneer2184 has already mentioned most of the issues you can run into when choosing RS. 
Furthermore you will have to change the pouches on the ammobelt as RS provides canvas pouches while leather pouches are requested for PO clearance. Also you will have to add wire on the DLT-19's T-tracks. 
RS provides complete commissions which have already been weathered but first of all the weathering isn't very durable and secondly, if you really decide to go for SWAT, you will have to weather the armor yourself as it is an extremely time-consuming process to emulate the weathering of a specific trooper seen on screen. 
That being said, RS's armor has real sreen-lineage, looks excellent when done right and they seem to be a bunch of nice guys and gals. 
Yep, forgot about the pouches, another additional headache.

Its a shame really, its a great product but could be perfect with just a few minor changes

21 hours ago, Hausi said:

Again, as I have said earlier, I'm not experienced with cosplay, so where would I get leather pouches for the ammobelt? Also where could I get a DLT-19 that is up to 501st standards and how would I weather the armor? Also, how could I change the color of the backpack (paint?)?

Again, as I have said earlier, I'm not experienced with cosplay, so where would I get leather pouches for the ammobelt? Also where could I get a DLT-19 that is up to 501st standards and how would I weather the armor? Also, how could I change the color of the backpack (paint?)?
As before, look at the WIP and PO submissions. All of your answers are in there. Or check the approved vendor lists.

501st Rules state we can't recommend specific vendors so when we suggest you check WIPs etc its not us being difficult its just you will need to do your research

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help, but I would like to clarify some things.

From my understanding ordering the SD costume from RS and not modifying it at all reaches baseline 501st requirements (tier 1). Is this correct?

Secondly, I would like to create a concrete list of modifications I would have to carry out in order to reach PO level because I have contacted RSpropmasters asking them if they could do a few of the alterations as they construct it and they need to know what alterations need to be made before they can say yes or no to my request. 

From what I have been told so far these modifications include:

• change ammo-belt pouches from canvas to leather

• change color of backpack from this  image.png.597237170db695e1d6f36f98aa4ec3df.pngto this image.png.170805ea641cd5dad19c771a95f7d036.png 

• recommended (for durability), Change the hook and strapping method with straps and poppers.
  • Add a rear sight to DLT 19 and put the charging handle in the right place. (Or would it be easier to get an E-11 instead?)

Are all these alterations correct? Are there any ore that should be added in order to reach PO? Are any of them unnecessary?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Whether you can reach basic approval with the RS complete commission unaltered also depends on your local garrison's GMO, she/he will decide if your costume is good enough. Afterwards you come here and go for level 2/PO. 

Here are our requirements:

The colour we usually recommend for the bluish grey backpack parts is ral 7031 in a satin finish (definitely not glossy) 

• Like 1

I have an RS prop commissioned costume and I had to make many changes for the PO clearance (new pouches, backpack changes, armor changes). I also weathered the armor and it is not that hard to clean off their weathering at all, I just used soap and water and it was gone. I wanted a much more weathered approach and did it on my own. I left the hook and strapping kit and it has been fine for me. I have had to make repairs on the armor, but that is common and happens with troops. I have not had to make any changes to the hooks or straps. I love their kit and I am soon working on a SE sandtrooper.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:40 PM, MrFlavaFlave said:

I have an RS prop commissioned costume and I had to make many changes for the PO clearance (new pouches, backpack changes, armor changes). I also weathered the armor and it is not that hard to clean off their weathering at all, I just used soap and water and it was gone. I wanted a much more weathered approach and did it on my own. I left the hook and strapping kit and it has been fine for me. I have had to make repairs on the armor, but that is common and happens with troops. I have not had to make any changes to the hooks or straps. I love their kit and I am soon working on a SE sandtrooper.

What repairs would you have to make to them armor? Was it cracks like someone else mentioned? If so, how do you fix those?

The armor is prone to cracking in certain areas, e.g. the chest or butt plate, where there is a lot of movements and stress. 

There are many different ways of repairing such cracks, some people use a t-shirt superglued to the back of the armor and then fill the crack, head on over to whitearmor.net to find out more, that is the stormtrooper detachment.

I personally use leftover scrap ABS from trimming, cut into little pieces and then put into a jar with acetone: the little pieces will melt in the acetone and you will finally have a paste of ABS. I then use this to back up the crack from the inside by gluing a larger solid piece of ABS on with that ABS paste and I finally fill in the crack from the outside, then you just sand it smooth again.

Now if you buy a complete commission, you won´t have any leftovers from trimming which means you would have to ask RS to send you the leftovers too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hausi said:

The armor is prone to cracking in certain areas, e.g. the chest or butt plate, where there is a lot of movements and stress. 

There are many different ways of repairing such cracks, some people use a t-shirt superglued to the back of the armor and then fill the crack, head on over to whitearmor.net to find out more, that is the stormtrooper detachment.

I personally use leftover scrap ABS from trimming, cut into little pieces and then put into a jar with acetone: the little pieces will melt in the acetone and you will finally have a paste of ABS. I then use this to back up the crack from the inside by gluing a larger solid piece of ABS on with that ABS paste and I finally fill in the crack from the outside, then you just sand it smooth again.

Now if you buy a complete commission, you won´t have any leftovers from trimming which means you would have to ask RS to send you the leftovers too.

I had to fix the shoulder once and the neck has hairline cracks. I used CA glue along with plastic to hold and ABS paste on the top side. Hausi is correct on how to fix it and it happens with the armor. My buddy has a TK so we used his left over ABS. Remember that the armor used in the film was never meant for practical purpose in our world. You will see once you start trooping in it, but it is so much fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a RS Full Commissioned Sandtrooper myself and got accepted with the basic standards. After having the armor for about a year already, I would highly recommend looking into other sources for rubber/accurate blasters (E-11 and DLT-19).

RSPROPMASTERS DLT is pretty heavy and I personally get tired of carrying it at many of my trooping events. It’s also made out of resin, which is more delicate and likely to break after dropping it on the floor. I have tried out the rubber version of the DLT from a fellow trooper recently and the weight was such a huge difference. I’m hoping to get one soon this year.

Their Fieldpack is quite heavy as well, you will feel most of the weight on your shoulders from the straps after at least an hour or so. If you got the muscles or know you can handle some weight, go for it!!

Through my own research and asking more questions from other members about reaching Police Officer Level 2, it will require some more work done and money just like what everyone else said previously. I’m personally not in a rush to go level 2 but I eventually want to do it maybe next year. I hope this helps and I’m more than happy to answer any other questions you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting the ammo pouches separately and I hoping to eventually get to SWAT level and therefore I need to know what material the ammo pouches are from the "these are not the droids you're looking for" sandtrooper, but the resolution online isn't good enough for me to tell whether its canvas or leather. Could someone help me out and tell me what material of the ammo pouches are that this trooper is wearing.

image.png.ae93026199bddadf11d8bd3b406744f6.png

(the sandtrooper from "these are not the droids you're looking for")

This specific trooper is more commonly known as the "Move Along" Captain, or Roadblock captain. 

His shoulder pouch is made of canvas, just as the pouches that RS provides with its complete commissions. 

There are two different versions of this trooper and the differences are mainly about the pouches and handguards. 

Have a look at this thread to see those differences :

Here are Kainan's and my own SWAT application, we both have applied for the same trooper but the two different versions:

Cheers mate

• 5 months later...
I have this exact costume built by RS. I thought like you that time/experience would be an issue but once you look at the kit you see how it goes together i felt like i could have had a go.

That aside, i reached PO with just a few adjustments if you want to look at my WIP/PO clearance pics.

RS use the original hook and strapping method they used in episode 4. This does cause some extra stress on the armour so i'd recommend replacing it with straps and poppers sooner rather than later. Ive had several cracks due to this. Their DLT-19 wont pass clearance either. No rear sight and the charging handle is in the wrong place. Its fixable but an added headache for an expensive comission.

I re threaded all the sewing also as it wasnt done properly.

Hey bro, can you tell me what"poppers" are, a pic maybe?

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk