IMPORTANT All members PLEASE READ!!!!! 8-3-2006

SethB6025

Apparently, I'm entering into this conversation a bit late, but hopefully not too late to add my 2 credits.

In June, I surfed to sandtrooper.net looking for something in particular, but I don't remember what that was . But I quickly discovered far more than what I was looking for, in short, the best darn group of folks I've encountered in the 501st.

The willingness to share and the support was inspiring. The comradery was touching. I wasted no time in joining and found myself spending more time lurking here than anywhere else. I only wish I had something to contribute (although I'm hoping to finish up my scratch-built MG-34 very soon. When it's done, I'll post pictures.).

That's the thing. This group makes me want to share!

And, most importantly, you guys made made me want to go TD...not to convert my FX suit, but to go whole hog. I'm now on the waiting list for TE2 armor. Gosh, I love my wife.

So although we've hit a few bumps in the road recently, I gotta say this group just plain rocks.

'Nuff said.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seth asked for people's opinions, and I completely got lost somewhere between page 2 and 3 but I would like to chime in.

First of all, I am 501st, but do not have, nor do I have plans in the near future, to create a TD costume. I initially stumbled on this site, due to the closed-minded individuals in charge of the Blizzard Force Detachment, since I was in the process of assembling a TS costume. However due to the ugly double standard at the time (since rectified, yay!) I was unable to get information from fellow snowtroopers. Fortunately for me, I was not completely driven away from the 501st, because I found a very helpful crew of characters here who gave me advice and did not judge me because I wasn't assembling the latest TE armor. And I have come back many times for hints on weathering and accessories. Right now I am the dirtiest snowtrooper in the Legion

I do not participate much here anymore, but I am active in the Legion and on other detachment boards. I will provide opinions to the newbies on weathering, etc. And I felt like I needed to add my comments here, perhaps from a slightly different standpoint.

P.S. - I believe that only TD's should be permitted to wear pauldrons.

Ok guys,

I came in after having not been here in a few weeks due to things in my on again off again job world.

I am going to say this as I love each and every one of you, not knowing a good portion of you personally. Udesii.... please.

Do not tear yourselves apart from the inside out.

*hugs each and every person in this*

I came to MEPD because to me, you guys/girls are the best of the best when it comes to Troopers. Sandtroopers are my love, the real working class Troopers if you ask me.

I will admit that no, I did not read every single post within this thread as some of them seemed to be really hurtful. This is not what we are here for, we are here to have fun, enjoy life and do a good things for those that are around us.

We are here to make others smile. The kids in the hospitals, the cancer patients that seem to be alone, to help those that others have shirked in life or they got the supposed short end of the stick by general societies standards.

This is a brotherhood of those who care, deep in their hearts, for the well being of those around them.

Don't destroy that.

Trooper FanGirl.... one of the new kids on the block in here.

... I am going to say this as I love each and every one of you, not knowing a good portion of you personally...

I love You too!

-------------------------

For my personal opinion, I really like this forum and all the things people post here.

Discussions against each others are welcome (avoiding to be offensive, if possible), because debate is important in our lives, and is also essential if you want to know peoples and their thoughts.

I think this is the best SW forum I ever met, even if there aren't girls here... well, one is here...

My compliments to everything you made here guys!

I haven't been here long, but this place seems more like a 'community' than many of the other boards I am a member of.

well said!

i´m a member in quite a few Star Wars/Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper related forums in German/UK and USA and this is definatly the one to stay with if your looking for brotherhood and community! DEFINATLY!

and i´m standing right behind our detachment leader!

seth does a really GREAT job for this detachment and all its members and i´m not talking about his backpack boxes but about his will to share all his love for this detachment and its members.

(and i mean it in a very heterosexual and masculine way... )

btw.: i DO have a lot of respect for the old line and also the real vets!

This just in, older people say it use to be better. More community less young people.

Sorry this is just what happens. Communities change for better or worse and often times the founders and or long time members don't feel it fits them any more. I know at one time I was much more active here, now I seem to post more to some other detachment boards than I do here.

I think it is more along the lines of when I first started here everything was new and I learned many things every time I came. Now, not claiming to know everything, but I know most of what I need about Sandtroopers and only check here to see if anything new comes up.

-Bill

Too many words makes my head hurt.

Now can we all get back to throwing mud at our armor and not at each other?

word

it´s just a nice hobby and not my job

i like to share somthing with other guys and help them

Gone bad? I think not!

Accuracy Obsessed, not as much as a Fett but darn close. All in all we are one of the most accurate detachments and ANH armor is starting to florish in the legion in general. I say we are just fine and some "oldtimers" are jelous because them may have lost some secret knowledge or power.

I have made it a point to stay out of political debates for some time. When I was a newbie, the first thing that discouraged me when I first put on my TD was a.) the immediate politics and b.) the negative attitude towards accuracy. I had made a pledge to myself to not get involved, but reading this thread, there are some things missing...

As far as the 501st first group itself, we are here for OTHER PEOPLE. Yes, we have great-looking armor. Yes, it is dirty and "accurate." But all that doesn't mean anything if we are not using it for our charities and communities to help enhance the assistance to those in need whether emotionally and/or financially. The MEPD is a DETACHMENT of the group and above all, THAT should be the first concern.

As far as the costumes themselves, most of us chose to do the Sandtrooper to be one step above the other "regular" troopers. I have heard many times how our/my armor demonstrates more effort due to the details and "dirt" and how great it is to see a Sandtrooper among all of the other stormtroopers. This detachment should be keeping it along those lines, to assist anyone in trying to get their armor to te next level, not bash them for not having the EXACT dirt. Many of the items quoted here as "accurate" are really based on mistakes made on the original set. Once again, the dirty armor does no one any good in the closet, but is MEANT to be used in the community.

As far as the politics, one thing I have discovered is that there is a separation between "old" and "new." However, from what I have seen, most of the power-tripping has come from who was "first," not who was better. First to do the website, First to do the criteria, First to design the patch, etc. This is not just here, but other detachments as well thereby discouraging newbies. My question to that is, speaking of military, what if the armed forces never replaced their troops? Don't be afraid of new ideas. The man who invented the wheel ws pretty happy, then someone invented the bike, then the car, and so on. What if we stopped at inventing the wheel, no one would have made it to the moon! The politics is the ONE thing that can mess up the entire Legion, and it needs to be stopped at the detachment (and even squad) level. The leaders and members of this, and other, detachment should be focusing on how to make us better to serve the community, by organizing and participating in more events, and remembering why this Legion was created in the first place. People have had awesome costumes for a long time, but it wasn't until this Legion was formed that they (the costumes) had a noble purpose. The MEPD can be no different and, in my opinion, should strive to set the example for others.

Sorry for the long read. I just had to get it out. I have recently seen one of our local officers step-down and quit for exactly the reasons we are discussing. Again, this organization can be torn down from within... and it seems to be happening.

I agree with most of you that this is the best group in the 501st. I joined the MEPD because I liked what I saw on the boards and the sense of community that existed between you all. I could have just as easily done all of the TD requirements and stayed just within my Garrison but I chose to be a part of this detachment.

I've received more help, encourangement, and tips from guys I may never meet (my MEPD brothers) than I get from my own garrison members. And to those lucky enough to troop together, consider yourselves blessed. Apart from a couple of guys in Western Canada I'm pretty much the only MEPD up here (in my area, anyways). But I wear my MEPD patches and t-shirts with pride at every event.

I feel whether you're an old timer or a newbie this is the most supportive group in the Legion. That's something to be proud of!

Ranting threads like this bore me to friggin' tears and now I'm ******... If people wanna blather on about their "pedigee" then lets have at it, "HEROS"!

I'm 39, I'm an 8yr. Army Infantry Veteran, I served '85-'93, the last 3yrs. of that as a Drill Sgt... the normal tour is 2yrs. I know that I'm getting old because I see some of the operations I was apart of on the HISTORY CHANNEL now... OMG!

Once upon a time, in a place (down South) that is STILL classified, my Platoon had to take on a much larger "enemy element" and we won... BIG. I was an M-60 machine gunner in those days and I was always pretty damned good with a knife as well... I DO have a REAL body count. I took some RPG schrapnel accross the nose and left temple for my efforts... (I'm still pretty). Although I'm FIERCELY PROUD of my military service, I almost NEVER talk about the details of my military service (in fact, this is the most I've shared in YEARS) other than "I served"... not even to my wife. I volunteered because it was a needful thing that needed doing, it's MY burden to carry... none of you have a need to know.

My point in stating all this you ask? Every single STUDLY snake-eater I know/knew didn't feel the need to beat their chest about their service. My experience is those who BELLOW on in that GODDAMNED "I'm a knuckle-dragging grunt HEAR ME, WORSHIP ME" were REMF's full of bravado, or posers with big ego's and hot air because they're dissatisfied with how they're lives turned out. I'm as hard-core and crotchety of an SOB as you could hope to EVER muster, but I'm not an obnoxious ***** about it either. Spouting "this and that" has utterly FAILED to impress anyone with said declarations.

REALITY CHECK: This is a hobby (NOT a flippn' "old line soldier/vet detachment") that remarkably can do some great things for whatever charity tickles you... we sponsor Doernbecher's Children's Hospital here. I've seen PLENTY of TD's helping out other TD's here, **** I've helped out a few troopers here myself, one resides in the UK (yo Simon!), one in Indiana (yo Mel!), one up in Washington State (yo Paul!), and one in my own Garrison that was getting a raw deal in a matter, and I stood up for him against my own Garrison "brothers" (yo Rob!).

One shouldn't come swinging in here carrying on like a FRIGGIN' Bohemian talkin' crap from their bohunkus (that's *** for you civies) about "the good old days". If they were so damned great WTF are they now? We're in the "here and now". I don't give a rat's *** if someone has been wearing vacuum formed PLASTIC (that can't even stop a BB gun) for 5 minutes or 50 years.

I for one think Seth and his crew are doing a FINE job, and the sense of community and "family" doesn't need to hinge on the "drinking buddies, let's go brawling and shout-sing stupid war songs, mentality"... it's alive and well despite that!

Drive On Troopers, DRIVE ON!!

editied a STOOPID spelling mistake!!

and one in my own Garrison that was getting a raw deal in a matter, and I stood up for him against my own Garrison "brothers" (yo Rob!).

And that is why I will always have your back and and I am proud to call you my friend.]

I for one think Seth and his crew are doing a FINE job, and the sense of community and "family" doesn't need to hinge on the "drinking buddies, let's go brawling and shout-sing stupid war songs, mentality"... it's alive and well despite that!

Drive On Troopers, DRIVE ON!!

Well said, Tony. Hoo-uh!!

501st Legion

+ MEPD

+ Garrisons

+Trooping

+ Comradery

+Making kids/fans smile = "GOOD"

Politics

+ Infighting

+Disrespect

+Not Trooping = "BAD"

We all need to remember that this is a "hobby" An "escape" NOT real life. The day it gets too "real" will be a sad day for me , and the day I hang up my blaster.

I hope that day never comes

I love trooping, I love making the kids/fans smile and I'd hate to see that end because of politics!

I havent been a member here very long, but I have really met some great people. Just off the top of my head... Mike, Seth, Tony, and Jorge have been very nice and helpful. This place rocks, and I cherish my membership very much. Its a great resource of info and a refreshing break from the other boards. No complaints here at all. The command structure works well too. I have seen problems resolved quickly and quietly. Oh!, and the website looks better than ever as well.

As a COSTUMING group, its almost all about accuracy and seeing who has made what to me. Personal pride in ones gear and wanting to look the part. Everyone here try's very hard to raise the bar. Theres nothing wrong with that. **** I scrapped my RT-MOD and started over with AP recently in my never ending quest to look Canon.

Nothing has been lost in this "new" forum. There are many others that have ALOT of problems. I think as long as we keep it simple and (most importantly) fun, everything will be cool. Never take this more seriously than it really is, otherwise it looks scary.

i just joined today, should i come back later?

there are 3 kinds of people in this world, there's you, there's me, then there is everybody else.

kids normally only want to play with the toy someone else is playing with

there are those that accuse others of plagerism, and there are those that are flattered by impersonation.

i'm sure there are other analogies but it all boils down to two distinct ways of looking at it.

i/we started something special, i/we would love you to be a part of it.

or

i started something special and i'm damned if i'll let anybody else be a part of it .

i wish i had never read this particular thread

hasn't put me off tho.

sorry if this is a newbie faux pas getting involved.

bobtherocker73