Chrelle

Christian's Pack #3 build thread

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My name is Christian, I'm 30 years old and living in Denmark. 

This year, my sandtrooper costume was approved and I was so psyched! I was already a part of the Danish Garrison with my TK costume, but the sandie is just a bit cooler - also you get to carry a big-a** gun!

uiSDrhG.jpg

But naturally I could not feel content - nay, complete - without a backpack, so when a garrison mate told me he had some backpack parts to sell, I couldn't refuse. I went with pack #3. I have read and re-read the great build threads by Machine, Strider, Henselmonster and Duden15 and many others but am still a bit daunted by the project :blink:

So far, this is what I have:

• Karrimor frame (looks vintage; very worn at least :P )
  • Mortar tube and end caps (came with my costume from RS propmasters)
  • Exhaust port (3D print, bought from my garrison mate)
  • Seed trays, brexton box, mushroom caps, mortar tube control panel and vac-formed Shires siphon from Ross
  • Vintage tupperware lid (I think it may be a tad too large - it's 13,5cm in diameter)
  • Sonix radio kit form Sonix world
  • 1x 1500ml shampoo bottle (9,5cm in diameter, need to find 1 more)
  • 5x shotgun shells (AKA lip balm stick covers)
  • "Style" canteen 
  • 3cm wide aluminum strips for crossbars
  • RAL 7031 spray cans are in the mail, and should arrive next week

This is what it looks like, all spread out:

GtuplEl.jpg

Not pictured are the siphon and the remainder of the Sonix radio, as they are currently set out to dry after being primed and glued, respectively. 

Now, I was thinking that the next step would be cutting the karrimor frame to size and mounting the crossbars. 

How does the curve on the frame look? Does it need to bend more?

yRqczAG.jpg

Also, as far as I have gathered, you need to cut the frame an inch (2,5cm or so?) above the crossbar:

erGbs3h.jpg

So should I just go ahead and cut it at the mark I've made? :) 

Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Christian

• Like 1

What type of Karrimor frame did you get? I've a Totem but not 100% on it being correct, as for me I think the cross bar at the top is in the wrong place/height.

Will try and add pictures to explain what I mean. 

Hi Christian and welcome to the MEPD! :salute:

You've got the right parts, this is going to be a nice build. 

As far as the Karrimor frame is concerned, try test-fitting the trays first, I had to reposition the crossbar but I have used different trays. The Karrimor originally comes with two such crossbars and the lower one is said to be in the right position. 

Otherwise you're good to cut the frame an inch above the crossbar. 

Have fun building, cheers mate! 

@Marv: Not sure what type it is; I looked for a label but could not find one that said what type of bag the frame came from :blink:

@Hausi: Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I did a little test fit today, after cutting the aluminum crossbars to size. This is the result:

MKDXQ4o.jpg

I think it looks pretty good? Or do the seed trays need to be closer together? It's a little hard to judge from the reference photos I've looked at.

Also, my Sonix is nearing completion (after hours of hand stitching the pleather surround :icon_eek:):

63iPqoo.jpg

Now to add or not to add the dial and the decals; that is the question! I would be inclined to add at least the dial, just because I think it looks cool ;) I've seen builds both with and without dial and decals; the CRL doesn't mention this, so I suppose it's a matter of personal preference? (apologies if this has been discussed at length before)

Finally, a shot of my siphon after priming:

cknywFA.jpg

Just needs some black paint now! (and to attach the mushroom cap and shampoo bottle of course)

Please let me know if you spot anything that can be improved!

-Christian

• Like 1

The sonix looks great, also the shires!!

Thank you! I’m quite proud of the sonix, I think it turned out very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work, the Sonix really looks great. Do you want to go for SWAT? If you do, leave those decals away, pack#3 / the move along pack had the radio sprayed black... so actually you could put them on and spraypaint over them to have the most accurate look,but that won't be necessary (I did it anyway :sweat:). 

If you really want to go for a screenaccurate look, move the trays closer together. 

Syphon looks excellent as well. 

Keep up the great work mate! 

Roger that! Decals and dial stay off I am not planning to go for SWAT, as the weathering on my armor doesn’t match a specific trooper. But i am definitely gonna take a crack at PO when i finish my field pack!

Looking good

Did another test fit today where I moved the trays closer together. I'm also thinking about moving the top crossbar down a notch to match the reference photos below, where it's only just visible above the top seed tray:

ZfkpNiT.jpg

2oYMhOb.png

(Pictures courtesy of m4vrick's build thread)

So this is how it looks with the top crossbar in the 2 different positions:

Topmost:

CJcORUA.jpg

One notch down:

rp15Gtj.jpg

I think it looks like the lower position matches the screengrabs the most. So I think I am gonne go with this configuration, and cut the frame 1" above the crossbar. This will make the total length of the pack around 50cm, which I seem to recall reading is about the correct length. 

Does this sound about right to you guys? I wouldn't wanna cut too much off and ruin the frame :sweat:

Thanks for your input!

-Christian

• Like 1

It already looks really good, but keep in mind that there are two versions of this pack and if you want to build the version on which the top of the lower grey tray has slipped down and is held in place with tape, you might need just a little more room between the tray and the bottom of the Karrimor frame. 

Also you will probably have to bend the frame a tad bit more to get the correct angle for the trays. This part really gave me the creeps as I was afraid of ruining it. :sweat:

A little progress update:

The frame has been assembled, cut to size and painted - along with the siphon:

KjuJCpz.jpg

Also finished sanding down the texture on the canteen:

MsgMP1y.jpg

So it's almost ready to have the stinger added and paint applied. First I need to cut off the top part where the cap goes, and then find som way to attach the hose/stinger. And add the brackets, of course!

-Christian

Taking the texture off wouldn't have been necessary but will not hinder your deployment in any way. 

I know, that was often done in the past. But you can not see on any screenpics that the texture has been removed. It is not necessary but ok.

I’m pretty sure the original vintage canteens “Gio Style” are definitely what they used on the original packs.

i really can’t imagine the prop department taking off the texture as it would take far too much time and they were really in a hurry just before travelling to Tunisia!

• Like 2